• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Oreimo's Life-Size Kuroneko Statue Goes on Pre-Order With Only 10 Planned

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keen Fox

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:56 pm Reply with quote
And the price will be ridiculous again like 30,000 USD as we always see.

If you compare the weight etc and make the analogy it makes no sense and it is way more expensive that it should be.

Maybe because they are "limited".
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Ironically.. this is probably a statue that would not get me divorced.. until she found out the price tag that is! lol

I like this statue though.. let's hope they make a smaller scale version and I'll go for it.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Keen Fox wrote:

If you compare the weight etc and make the analogy it makes no sense and it is way more expensive that it should be.

I don't think the price is ridiculous at all considering labor and material cost. And "Limited" or low quantity is always justified in laws of supply and demand. Even a 1/8 scale figure would cost several thousand dollars, if it's only has 10 copies and produced in Japan, not in China.
Keen Fox

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Keen Fox wrote:

I don't think the price is ridiculous at all considering labor and material cost. And "Limited" or low quantity is always justified in laws of supply and demand. Even a 1/8 scale figure would cost several thousand dollars, if it's only has 10 copies and produced in Japan, not in China.

30.000 sounds a lot.
Compare it to a car for a example and there you go.
I know figures are produced in Japan too.
I am fully aware.If it was cheaper maybe mortals would consider buying one.
I still think the price is ridiculous.
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Lmao Mortal? ^
-SP-

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
$30k on a figure or on a car? The choice should be obvious.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Keen Fox wrote:
30.000 sounds a lot.

Well, It's your opinion.
As you are aware, a wealthy otaku in Japan already bought one of those life-size figures for similar price range.

https://youtu.be/iddgwizjfTc

I can't help myself thinking that people who usually get outraged over price of such object is usually the envious type with the same hobby. I don't collect toys/figurines, so it doesn't bother me what wealthy fans spend their money on. I'm more like, "oh that's nice, but I'm not into it and I don't see any practical value".

I've seen some wealthy people spending thousands of dollars on some avant-garde of art which looks like a weird junk to other people. Some people are already thinking that those anime life-size statues are creepy because of Uncanny Valley effect.
Just because normal people can't buy those "statues" due to its price, it's not something to be upset or jealous. Whoever buys the statue, it's their money and pleasure. It's not like you're forced to buy it.
I do think that complaining about it only shows envy and shows dissatisfaction with what you already have.

Last edited by reanimator on Fri May 25, 2018 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Keen Fox wrote:
30.000 sounds a lot.

Well, It's your opinion.
As you are aware, a wealthy otaku in Japan already bought one of those life-size figures for similar price range.

I can't help myself thinking that people who usually get outraged over price of such object is usually the envious type with the same hobby. I've seen the same reaction from physical media collectors as well. I don't collect toys/figurines, so it doesn't bother me what wealthy fans spend their money on. I'm more like, "oh that's nice, but I'm not into it and I don't see any practical value".

I've seen some wealthy people spending thousands of dollars on some avant-garde of art which looks like a weird junk to other people. Some people are already thinking that those anime life-size statues are creepy because of Uncanny Valley effect.
Just because normal people can't buy those "statues" due to its price, it's not something to be upset or jealous. Whoever buys the statue, it's their money and pleasure. Complaining about the price only shows personal envy and shows dissatisfaction with you already have.
Your a god. You said exactly what needed to be said.
Keen Fox

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Keen Fox wrote:
30.000 sounds a lot.

Well, It's your opinion.

I can't help myself thinking that people who usually get outraged over price of such object is usually the envious type with the same hobby. I've seen the same reaction from physical media collectors as well. I don't collect toys/figurines, so it doesn't bother me what wealthy fans spend their money on. I'm more like, "oh that's nice, but I'm not into it and I don't see any practical value".

Just because normal people can't buy those "statues" due to its price, it's not something to be upset or jealous. Whoever buys the statue, it's their money and pleasure. Complaining about the price only shows personal envy and shows dissatisfaction with you already have.

My main issue is the price.
What is this whole analysis you keep going?
If you put things together this piece should cost lower.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Keen Fox wrote:

Price is always determined by what buyers are willing to pay for it though. Any painting would be much cheaper if you just bought the materials and painted it yourself. The point being here though, is you physically cannot make this statue, so the creator sells it at a price that they think it would sell at (and they always do sell every one they make of the 1:1 scale figures.) So while you can always complain about the price, it just doesn't mean much, like me complaining that a brand new Lambourghini Aventador is $425,000. I'm not the target market for that car so complaining about the price just seems pointless.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Keen Fox wrote:

It's because my "analysis" is exposing underlying motivations of "Hey this guy has life-size anime figure. So why can't I have my own?" ?

Have you even considered laws of economy applied on such niche object?
Why do you want to lower the price of an over-sized toy when it's clearly not for everyone? If you want life-size anime figure for cheaper that bad, then you should just get yourself a largest 3D printer which is like $6,500, a 3D scanner, and 1/8 scale figurine which you want to make statue out of. Guess what? After you're done printing, you still have to go through the trouble of assembling, detailing, sanding, and painting. Not all collectors have luxury of money, time, and skill sets to do such process. Also if you want original pose rather than enlarged version of 1/8 scale figure, then you can commission a sculptor who can make great digital model and he/she will want a lot of money for labor.

I don't know if you're hardcore toy/figure collector, but low cost has very, very difficult place for extreme niche items such as life-size anime figure. If they don't sell, then loss will be devastating due to unsold stocks.
If you're so concerned about lowering the price, then why don't you ask figure-makers to sell their 1/8 scale $150 figures for $15 each? After all they're made in China, right? Of course, they'll laugh at you for such attempt.

I'm guessing that you want the figure-maker to produce 1000 copies in China and hoping them to sell it to you for, like, $1000 each? Even with such lowered cost, not everyone will buy them. Even $150 figurine has hard time selling themselves and they gather dust if not popular. So what makes you think that people will buy lower priced statue for a thousand dollars that requires assembly and painting?

#TheGreatestP4P wrote:

No, please stop calling me that. I've seen kids being happy just having a small anime trinket, not some pricey toys. Being envious about not having stuff that other people owns is just a sad life.
Keen Fox

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:29 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Keen Fox wrote:

It's because my "analysis" is exposing underlying motivations of "Hey this guy has life-size anime figure. So why can't I have my own?" ?

Have you even considered laws of economy applied on such niche object?
Why do you want to lower the price of an over-sized toy when it's clearly not for everyone? If you want life-size anime figure for cheaper that bad, then you should just get yourself a largest 3D printer which is like $6,500, a 3D scanner, and 1/8 scale figurine which you want to make statue out of. Guess what? After you're done printing, you still have to go through the trouble of assembling, detailing, sanding, and painting. Not all collectors have luxury of money, time, and skill sets to do such process. Also if you want original pose rather than enlarged version of 1/8 scale figure, then you can commission a sculptor who can make great digital model and he/she will want a lot of money for labor.

I don't know if you're hardcore toy/figure collector, but low cost has very, very difficult place for extreme niche items such as life-size anime figure. If they don't sell, then loss will be devastating due to unsold stocks.
If you're so concerned about lowering the price, then why don't you ask figure-makers to sell their 1/8 scale $150 figures for $15 each? After all they're made in China, right? Of course, they'll laugh at you for such attempt.

I'm guessing that you want the figure-maker to produce 1000 copies in China and hoping them to sell it to you for, like, $1000 each? Even with such lowered cost, not everyone will buy them. Even $150 figurine has hard time selling themselves and they gather dust if not popular. So what makes you think that people will buy lower priced statue for a thousand dollars that requires assembly and painting?

#TheGreatestP4P wrote:

No, please stop calling me that. I've seen kids being happy just having a small anime trinket, not some pricey toys. Being envious about not having stuff that other people owns is just a sad life.

Thank you for the long replies but what you say with questions is not my views at all.
And I am not a collector.
What about you?
Are you a collector?
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:25 am Reply with quote
Keen Fox wrote:

30,000 USD make this piece a hardcore collectors only piece. Is a only 10 figures very limited edition.

What some people see as only as a oversized toy, a hardcore collector see it as a piece of art. And is very hard to put price of what some people see as art.

Some paintings go for more than millions of dollars in actions, but my younger daughter make kid paintings that look like those and i can't sold those for that price, even if they are very similar.

If I would like to have one of those, Yes i would like but i can't buy a 30,000 USD figure, but i also can't but a 1,000,000 USD paint.

I don't mind to spend hundreds of dollars for one anime series imported from Japan (when they have subs) or pay Aniplex prices, but 30,000 USD is a bit too much for my wallet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1