• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Could Patreon Be "Better For The Industry" Than Crunchyroll?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Also in the bit from the Digibro video I've seen, that idiot complained about the JoJo name changes. But like.... WOW copyright laws are different in different countries, WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT??

Also Zenyatta and Mondatta aren't 'nonsense', it's an album by The Police, grumble grumble. Get off my lawn.
ryukage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
The problem with Crunchyroll is instead of licensing more Anime or fixing bugs on their website/apps, they fund their own original "anime" High Spice Guardian which no-one asked for.

They've been licensing and co-producing non-anime for years. That's what VRV and it's partnerships are about. This is just the first time I've seen this stuff listed under their Crunchyroll brand. I agree that it'd be nice to have everything work more smoothly and efficiently, but people they've been offering original animated content for years on their other channels. This isn't new, you just never noticed, and I suspect your discontent is rooted in something other than the company's budget allocation.
ryukage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
How about those studios who did in-betweening, backgrounds, finish animation, 2nd key animation, etc.?

Exactly. This is much more complicated than most people recognize.

While it's fine that people can enjoy a thing without being experts in it's production, it's a fool's errand for these ignorant fans to dictate production and business model.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Akamaru_Inu wrote:
Also in the bit from the Digibro video I've seen, that idiot complained about the JoJo name changes. But like.... WOW copyright laws are different in different countries, WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT??

I actually agree with him on that. If Crunchyroll insists on changing names or terms in the sub due to copyright or localization then fansubs are the only way to go if you don't want to deal with that. I find the subs for shows like Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh series are worthless since they use the Americanized names and terms. Nothing wrong with not wanting to be talked down to by a licencor.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And as fans become less and less interested in collecting "stuff" (be it physical media, figures, wall scrolls, dakimakura or whatnot)

I need some clarification here. Are these fans becoming less and less interested in collecting "stuff" because they feel that their money won't go directly to the anime studios?
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Akamaru_Inu wrote:
I always figured what the reason they have shows like Eromanga Sensei or whatever 'trashy' shows come out is from licensing deals being like, 'okay, you want this highly anticipated series? Well you have to stream this one too besides it'.

Nope, since at least the year after they went legit, they have always tried to license everything that goes onto Japanese TV every season. The number of licenses they get are a measure of the number of production committees that accepted their offer ... they offer for everything.

There is literally not one more TV anime that they can "license" by "working harder at licensing". If Netflix and Amazon was not hoovering up licenses, CR'd have more series per season ... though at the same time since that Netflix and Amazon money is pushing the anime industry to work to capacity, if Netflix and Amazon were not hoovering up licenses, there would not be QUITE so many series made per season.

Also, BECAUSE the industry is at capacity, Crunchyroll can't just "create more Japanese content" by commissioning it. They could commission work in China or the ROK, but the Japanese studios are basically booked. The only extra Japanese content they could "just commission:" would be video manga, and the demand for that is only a small fraction of the demand for even trashy anime.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote
The same Digibro who contributes to the anti-SAO hysteria and telling people what is good and what is shit according to his "gospel"? No, thanks.
He is one of the last people I would go to for advice about anything anime related.
I can't stand that guy.

Plus, its nice to see CR licensing obscure anime since they're are some hidden gems out there.
Wish they put in Sentai shows, though.

Last edited by Heishi on Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
TheArsonAut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with this article, I also disagree with the people getting snippey about licensing. Crunchyroll has a bad video player, I get better clarity while pirating. I do try to watch shows when they're available on Netflix and Prime, it's my principle to never divert to piracy when available legally.

I could've watched Banana Fish on piracy networks, but I did not. It would have been convenient to, but I will do all my watching on Prime.

If Crunchyroll had a better video player, with clarity and high definition like piracy networks, I would've joined it ages ago.

I would've joined Funimation streaming ages ago but their catalog was so limited compared to piracy, it just didn't make sense.

Piracy is good because the catalog is wide, it's practically endless. There's always an opportunity to find something on there.

However, piracy is also troublesome. I have to get up from my chair to pirate things, I would like to watch things on Crunchyroll for convenience, like Gintama.

Digibro is right, their video player is embarrassing and thus they don't stand as a competitive product. The picture is so grainy it's like watching a DVD from the 80's, which I won't stand for. You don't get my money for free.

As Digibro has complained before (if I recall), give us a competitive product with a wide catalog and good picture. Otherwise, suck eggs.

Netflix has an enormous stock price so I'm afraid the entire argument of this article is mute. You only need $5 a month from users to build a company. People always choose convenience. Design a convenient delivering model.

Instead everyone jumps for the most competitive licenses and divvies up the content for themselves. You also pay total lip service to older shows, which is a real FU to fans like myself. I want older shows, I want newer shows, I want a good mix. I want good picture, I don't mind so much about the subtitles as long as they're pretty good.

People want to defend Crunchyroll but they don't deserve to be defended. It's like fans will puritanically put themselves through a mess in order to say, "I fund the system."

Digi's lack of knowledge about specific licensing deals aside, Crunchyroll is a bad product. Anime viewers don't have to support it.

However it's worth pointing out that Japan's economy lives in the 90's, they still make money from selling a physical product like DVDs, blu-rays. This economic model is the energy of our entire community! America turned its back on that model in 2000 and since then we've seen our cultural product take a nosedive. Japan still has great music, rock n roll, awesome anime because of the money flowing from their natural citizens into creative industries. The regard America has for its own creative industries is a travesty in comparison.

I understand wanting to support what you love, any way you can. To think if we still were implementing that physical product-for-cash system from the 90's we could have some of what Japan has. If we all pitched in on physical dvds, blu rays, cds, movies, we would definitely have a better product.
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
TheArsonAut wrote:
People always choose convenience. Design a convenient delivering model.

Well I would say majority of people who watch anime now are casual viewers who just tend to type watch episode 1 of whatever on google and click on the first result. Not knowing the difference between legal sites and pirate site, which what a lot of people say they just didn’t know the difference.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
@Thearsonaut

Crunchyroll's technical issues are worth noting, but are nowhere near as bad as you claim they are. I don't even know how to properly assess what quality from a "DVD from the 80s" would actually be? Considering DVDs didn't even make it to market till about 1997.

They bring a crap ton of anime over, their app is ridiculously better than Amazon Prime's app is at streaming subtitled anime, and they provide anime way earlier than fansub groups could ever realistically provide them.

I come from an era of fansub groups and bootleg Taiwanese dvds, those weren't exactly "the good ol' days" and given the past vhs and laserdisk copy circles that circulated via postal service before then, it's only continually gotten better.
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I just don't understand how people say the video quality is horrible, I've never had a problem with it on computer or TV. Pirate site video, on the other hand, is always grainy and awful.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I don't get why CR having bad shows is even an issue. Just don't watch them. Why does Digibro even care? Does he think they intentionally license bad shows instead of good ones? Licensing costs aren't equal, and all those mediocre to bad shows on there (which some people do still watch) are probably a small drop in the bucket compared to the expected hits of the season.

I'd even go as far as saying that I think CR (and the other legal streaming options) trying to offer everything played an important role in the decline of fansubs (not talking these stream rip groups) which is pushing more fans to legal options. If you start making fans go to torrents again for a chunk of their content, you just risk them staying to download the rest of the shows they watch while they're there.

Definitely a thing. I mean, Burn Up Excess isn't by any means a good show, but it was a formative one for me and I feel happy knowing I have the old ADV discs on my shelf.

The whole "only stream good shows!" thing veers way too close to the "Only stream shows we find acceptable!" mentality a lot of toxic fans have.

And that is what Digibro is coming off as, one of those toxic fans in the community. The thing that hurts is he had over 100k subscribers on YouTube. His voice can cas harm.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Since production costs generally hover around US$275,000 per episode

About eight months ago, you said, "But these days, most late night TV shows are all coming in around the US$320,000 per episode mark." Does that figure include costs that this one doesn't, or has the going rate dropped since then? I don't think fluctuations in the exchange rate can account for it.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Akamaru_Inu wrote:

I actually agree with him on that. If Crunchyroll insists on changing names or terms in the sub due to copyright or localization then fansubs are the only way to go if you don't want to deal with that. I find the subs for shows like Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh series are worthless since they use the Americanized names and terms. Nothing wrong with not wanting to be talked down to by a licencor.

The Jojo's name changes though are approved by Araki for the western markets because of the copyright laws. It took so long for North America to even get Jojo's because at first he would not allow the name changes.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I tend to not like Digibro. I do buy a lot of my anime and do pay for CR. My main complaint is American animation priced itself out of the market, and now that CR has been in the black for awhile now are looking to add more shows into an already saturated market.

Spent that money on getting us some video quality or kicking a little money back to the creators. That video player always snapping around? Seeking is terrible.

Digibro is often wrong and I don't like him, but as a paying CR supporter, he's more right than wrong when everything is taken to account.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11