• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Surpasses 2 Million Subscribers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teferi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not really. While in 2013-14 Funi would usually grab 2-5 shows and CR picked up the rest, starting in 2015 they made a concerted effort to grab as much as possible each season - that was a big cause for the ballooning licensing fees we saw not soon after, as Funi and CR got into bidding wars for big titles. CR would inevitably get more shows by volume, but that was when you included stuff like 3-5 minute shorts and, quite frankly, stuff most people weren't interested in watching.

In 2015 they picked up ~10 shows per season and the extra shows they picked up weren't exactly big titles (some were even shared with CR).

e.g. Fall 2015 sure, they picked up 10 titles but that included Dance With Devils, Rainy Cocoa, Valkyrie Drive Mermaid etc.

Anime Strike made a big push in Spring 2017 to Fall 2017 where they picked up 12+ shows a season including big shows like Made in Abyss, Re:Creators, Saekano S2, Sword Oratoria etc. They didn't just license more shows they were able to take shows that Funimation/CR had licensed previous seasons of and shows that they clearly would've tried to license otherwise.. When Amazon decided to compete it was a matter of having a prime sub or you missed half the season. When Funi made a push they got five more niche shows that didn't really matter.
S0crates

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I feel Crunchyroll would benefit to go public with how much of that sub revenue goes towards licensing, and how much goes towards other things.

Overall I'm happy with their product, especially after they finally fixed some technical issues with the streaming a couple of weeks ago. I also enjoy the anime awards, and the fact that they finally managed to brave up in regards to showing shows like Goblin Slayer uncensored really are positive signs and I hope they continue to show "dark"/"politically charged" stuff unhinged going forward and let the marketplace decide rather than showing some edited version upon which I feel is fraud unless they tell us up front (even if they can't help it/wasn't up to them (happens sometimes that there's a "director's cut", etc.)).
Mistaken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:29 am Reply with quote
loool how pathetic, the average popular YTer has more subs than that
MoonStar9

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:10 am Reply with quote
Mistaken wrote:
loool how pathetic, the average popular YTer has more subs than that

The average Youtuber relies on ad-revenue with their subscribers paying them nothing out of pocket, with many of them also running adblock extensions. A more accurate equivalent would be to compare Youtube channels to Crunchyroll's 40 million registered users which are presumed to be free watchers, subscribers and inactive accounts. Pewdiepie, the most popular Youtuber has 54 million subscribers. In contrast, the 2 million subscribers of CR are paying customers. That means, on average, CR is getting 2 million worth of $6.95 every month just from subscribers alone. That's an estimated $14 million every month not including ad-revenue which they also pull revenue from, as well as merchandise sales and more recently anime physical distribution. I don't know how Funi is doing but I wager CR is doing exceptionally and this is part of the reason Sony decided to break Funi off and pull its shows. Its trying again to become a competitor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3