• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Deku's Popularity Falters in My Hero Academia Popularity Poll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:33 am Reply with quote
Jeez, Hawks makes it, but Fumikage Tokoyami never can? Sure, my other two faves made top spots, but c'mon, bird boy for the win! He deserves some love!
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:38 am Reply with quote
You go Kirishima!
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:53 am Reply with quote
Any poll without Ochaco in the top 10 should be declared invalid, imo.
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:19 am Reply with quote
Hawks?! He's only been in the manga 2 minutes! And no love for vault boi Mirio?? This poll is skewed.
Jinbeizaki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:55 am Reply with quote
International fans could cast a vote as well as mentioned in the article so I'm really laughing at how western fans seemed to be offended by this poll.

The only surprise is Best Jeanist but then I'm not familiar with Japanese fandom so maybe there he is popular. A character does not need to be appearing a lot to be loved, the case of Hawks should speak for itself. Despite being the newest character in this poll he already made it to the 4th position.

Also those who complained about not many girls (Ochaco in particular) not making it: they are not interesting. I mean we barely see them at all, they don't get much development and for real Ochaco is now only seen as a love interest aka the most boring trope. It's not surprising for that reason to not see them higher in the poll.

Also the case of Mirio I think is because he was still a manga only character when the poll was up + he's too "clean/perfect". He was already shown from the start as a powerful character who already had his character development only told in flashback. spoiler[It would be interesting to see his development with now that he lost his quirk but so far he had disappeared from the manga] Judging by the top 10, it's more about those having difficulties, having to improve, etc. Momo making it instead of Ochaco, for instance, is probably because of how her insecurities were shown and how she's improving to get pass them.

Overall, don't hate this poll only because your favorite didn't make it. Don't hate it because a character you hate make it etc. Just see this poll as how the fandom (more Japanese than as a whole judging by how few western fans voted in it) feels at X moment towards a character. It's a good idea for Horikoshi to see how people feels with a character for instance I'm sure he's glad that Hawks made it despite being relatively new meaning for him that his work with this character is appreciated. Or how Endeavor is getting higher in the poll because how Horikoshi worked on his redemption arc etc.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:57 am Reply with quote
Good stuff. Deku is one of my least favorite characters. He has the Yowashita Pedal protagonist thing where he just always sounds manic and panicked and nervous despite him clearly being skilled. Then he explodes into tear bombs on the regular like an AnoHana character.

If they made him blindly naive like Naruto it'd be unwatchable but thankfully that trope isn't the hot shit right now.

Scion Drake wrote:
Oh c’mon don’t treat Bakugo’s popularity as a sign of the apocalypse or that a lot of people like bully’s.

He's only a bully in flashbacks to when he was like 4 years old. For the actual time period the show covers... he's just aggressive and yells. The show spins that like aggression = evil but he's never done anything remotely bad imo. I think the meanest thing he's done from the show's time period is offer Deku a sparring match when Deku had previously said that he wanted to spar with him... which isn't actually mean in the least bit.
Ethe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:09 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
and hawks is like..............he's only been in like 3 chapters and all he's done really is spoiler[be a double?triple? crosser?]

spoiler[Having to do all the dirty work and on top of that having to bear the guilt of being the indirect cause of his idol's injury] made him an incredibly sympathetic character in my eyes. Plus he's got a cool design. He deserves that top spot Razz
Raven.In.Pink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
International fans could cast a vote as well as mentioned in the article so I'm really laughing at how western fans seemed to be offended by this poll.

I doubt anyone here or anywhere is actually offended by the poll. Maybe those who know nothing about or refuse to acknowledge Endeavor’s redemption arc, but otherwise it’s just a general and expected reaction from fans who are just having fun. Theres such a thing called joking or having a one-time over the top reaction. No need to be condescending about it.

Best Jeanist also isn’t popular in the Japanese fandom. I follow a lot of Japanese artists and fans on Twitter and Pixiv and barely anybody mentions Best Jeanist. Present Mic is mentioned more than him. He wasn’t anywhere close to the Top10 before this and he hasn’t appeared in the manga in the past 3 years at all. It’s possible him surpassing everyone is a one time fluke because of some weird ass timing with the anime.

Which can also be the explanation for other characters like Iida and Yaoyorozu , who haven’t had significant moments in the manga when this poll was active. But they’ve had them in the anime. I’m always shocked to see Iida hang onto the Top 10 despite never doing anything.

And Ochaco isn’t super down the list. She may be off the Top 10 but she’s only at #12, under Aizawa. She’s been established as Deku’s love interest since the beginning and still made it in the Top 10 three times. So claiming being a love interest made her boring is pretty ludicrous. She does need a significant boost in screen time, don’t get me wrong. But it isn’t like the fandom suddenly turned their back on her. That’s more what happend with Tsuyu, who’s popularity has taken a nosedive since Poll#3.

And for the record I’m a Ashido guy, so if there’s a best girl I’m not happy about getting high enough in the rankings, it’s her. Jirou somehow made it in the second poll, when’s Mina’s turn.
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Gosh, the hot-headed angry strong guy with serious self control issues is so hot. We should all try to be more like him. Awesome world we live in.
TrowaAyanami

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
He's only a bully in flashbacks to when he was like 4 years old. For the actual time period the show covers... he's just aggressive and yells. The show spins that like aggression = evil but he's never done anything remotely bad imo. I think the meanest thing he's done from the show's time period is offer Deku a sparring match when Deku had previously said that he wanted to spar with him... which isn't actually mean in the least bit.

...didn't he tell Deku in the very first episode that because he didn't have a quirk, he should kill himself?
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
"I find it easier to relate to a character if they are the one most likely to commit an act of domestic violence, or become a raging alcoholic someday. It's because of my good judgement."

"He isn't actually angry. He just talks like that!!! Ever heard of Resting Angry Face? This is like that but with voices! You should hear his poetry!"

It's like listening to the people defending Dr Dre still being a senior executive at Apple despite him bragging about throwing a woman through a plate glass window, and literally saying he'd do it again.
-SP-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Deku is one of the worst MC's I have seen, so not surprised.
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:

He's not black clover bad, or radiant bad, but yeah. My favorite male character is probably Eraser if I can pick a teacher, and Lida if not, but my favorite character overall is Uraraka, but that's because she reminds me a lot of Megumi Tadokoro, who I love to death.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:

I don’t know how many MC’s you have seen but he is far from the worst, very very far. He’s one of the better ones really.

And actually he never got a decrease in votes, I think he even got more votes since last time. It’s just Shouto & Bakugo are overwhelmingly extremely popular but it doesn’t change the fact he’s still in the top 3.

Using that to say it’s because of how horrible he is is just stupid.
=Vanilla=

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
We're having a Class 1-B arc yet there's no Class 1-B in the poll? That kinda sucks. At least Hawks and Endy are there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3