• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Police Report: Dub Voice Actress' Door Damaged, Classified Criminal Mischief

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
I'd just like to point out that Samantha discovering her door was damaged by going to the location and police apologizing and offering to replace the door aren't actually exclusive possibilities.

From all the information available to us, it sounds like she has an empty rental property for which the door was severely damaged. It's perfectly possible that the door was damaged via swatting and with the place being empty, the law enforcement weren't initially aware of who to contact concerning the damages they inflicted upon the place.

Samantha wasn't swatted on Monday. This is directly from the police report, filed yesterday:

They'd be looking for the person who fraudulently called the SWAT, not an unknown individual who kicked a door in.

Samantha claims someone called saying her rental house was swatted. Police seem to indicate that she wasn't swatted, and Samantha agrees. In this article, she says that phone call was from a fake number. There was damage done to the door, though, which suggests the person on the phone did that damage. However, the police record makes no mention of any phone call.

So, Samantha calls the police under the impression she got swatted, they arrive and fix the door without ever checking to see if that even happened? Her Facebook post wasn't made before she spoke to the police. When the police mistakenly busted into her rental house in 2016, she says they refused to fix anything and that was when they were at fault.
Rednimue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:39 pm Reply with quote
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Swatting should be punishable by life imprisonment.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Rednimue wrote:

"Retained a law firm" is meaningless noise that changes nothing and only impresses the easily impressed. It's not like retaining a law firm is something extraordinary or difficult to do.

What's will make things "official" is if he ever files suit.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Rednimue wrote:

Will be interesting to see where this leads. Yet to file suit, but I'm sure that's an avenue that's could be explained after he has legal reps take a closer look. Though, I do wonder why fans are going to have to foot the bill.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:46 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Swatting should be punishable by life imprisonment.

It is. That is the maximum penalty that came out of the 2017 Wichita swatting incident
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

Will be interesting to see where this leads. Yet to file suit, but I'm sure that's an avenue that's could be explained after he has legal reps take a closer look. Though, I do wonder why fans are going to have to foot the bill.

It seems rather shady and disingenuous to have fans do that and to allow it. Then again he basically did tell his rangers to go out and defend his honor online. So having them pay for any of his legal fees doesn't seem surprising I suppose. Considering a lot of lawyers work on a compensatory basis it seems unneeded as well. A lot will represent you free up front and then if/when you/they win they take their percentage of the payout. Obviously not all do that, but enough do to where needing big up front money is not a requirement. I was t-boned by a woman right before Thanksgiving and that's what my lawyers are doing. When the personal injury suit is done they'll get their percentage. I imagine if Vic is serious about litigation he could find a similar set up with a firm. As already noted though, simply retaining services of one does not mean going to court. Many just act as legal advisors. Even if that's not the case allowing your fans pay for it is just shady, regardless of whoever you are.

His tweet also reads like a clear way to distance himself from it if needed. "A friend asked to do it so I said go ahead but I have no part of it." That way if there's some sort of legal snafu with it he can claim he had nothing to do with it. Instead of simply saying he appreciates his fans generosity but such donations are not needed.

Plus I tend to not trust the honesty and altruism of people in regards to these sort of fundraisers done for other people than the person actually running it. You've only got their word your money is going for that cause whatever it is. Call me a cynic.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
It seems rather shady and disingenuous to have fans do that and to allow it.

It's also shady and disingenuous to claim you were swatted with old photos. I don't think either side cares about being genuine or fair at this point.

I wish things hadn't gone this far. Now that's there's confirmed false accusations (the "I stand with Vic" thing in the 911 call sounded like some grade-A bullshit from the beginning, and there's nothing about it in the police report - that was clearly added to tarnish his reputation), this is going to only get messier in a court of law.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Re'Nell Glover

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:39 am Reply with quote
So, Vic actually had sex on her hotel bed? If this is true, he's even crazier than I thought
msgundam2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:01 am Reply with quote
So someone kicked her door in and it Vic's fault some how? This site is going down hill. At least this place does a good job with press release.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:07 am Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
So someone kicked her door in and it Vic's fault some how? This site is going down hill. At least this place does a good job with press release.

No, it's the fault of people who are taking this Vic thing too seriously, and using it as an excuse/reason to attack people, and harass them.
purpleloops

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:09 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

It seems rather shady and disingenuous to have fans do that and to allow it. Then again he basically did tell his rangers to go out and defend his honor online. So having them pay for any of his legal fees doesn't seem surprising I suppose. Considering a lot of lawyers work on a compensatory basis it seems unneeded as well. A lot will represent you free up front and then if/when you/they win they take their percentage of the payout. Obviously not all do that, but enough do to where needing big up front money is not a requirement. I was t-boned by a woman right before Thanksgiving and that's what my lawyers are doing. When the personal injury suit is done they'll get their percentage. I imagine if Vic is serious about litigation he could find a similar set up with a firm. As already noted though, simply retaining services of one does not mean going to court. Many just act as legal advisors. Even if that's not the case allowing your fans pay for it is just shady, regardless of whoever you are.

His tweet also reads like a clear way to distance himself from it if needed. "A friend asked to do it so I said go ahead but I have no part of it." That way if there's some sort of legal snafu with it he can claim he had nothing to do with it. Instead of simply saying he appreciates his fans generosity but such donations are not needed.

Plus I tend to not trust the honesty and altruism of people in regards to these sort of fundraisers done for other people than the person actually running it. You've only got their word your money is going for that cause whatever it is. Call me a cynic.

I'm a cynic as well, so I guess it takes one to know one. In this case, the guy (GoFundMe friend) is apparently a lawyer himself, and mentioned something along the lines of: None of this money will go to me, nor would it be wise to be irresponsible with the money, because I could have my {insert whatever Lawyer license applies} retracted, or something grave professionally along those lines; I don't remember exactly.

My only wonder is to where the money is going. It's good that it's going to a domestic abuse shelter, but I'm cautious to call this anything but a PR move. It's a little on the nose.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:46 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
It seems rather shady and disingenuous to have fans do that and to allow it.

It's also shady and disingenuous to claim you were swatted with old photos. I don't think either side cares about being genuine or fair at this point.

I wish things hadn't gone this far. Now that's there's confirmed false accusations (the "I stand with Vic" thing in the 911 call sounded like some grade-A bullshit from the beginning, and there's nothing about it in the police report - that was clearly added to tarnish his reputation), this is going to only get messier in a court of law.

Honestly, the story completely falls apart for me when you take into account the fact that the photos were a few years old.

It's like when a Prank YouTuber is caught faking one of his pranks. "Oh! That's just the one that I faked! All the others are real!" Why should I assume that this woman was only lying about the one part of her story? Even though I don't "Stand with Vic" or anything, I think she was just trying to discredit the people who took Vic's side by making them seem as though they swatted her home. I don't know how much of the house damage is really there, but these photos are incredibly sleazy.
levonr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:05 am Reply with quote
Re'Nell Glover wrote:
So, Vic actually had sex on her hotel bed? If this is true, he's even crazier than I thought

After she got caught making up this story about being swatted by Vic supporters I think she lost credibility. An actor making up a crime, what odd timing.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:05 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Honestly. Am I the only one in the "middle of the road" camp here?

You have literally just claimed that someone needs to be reprimanded for being doxxed and receiving threatening phone calls, and also claimed that sending a bomb threat to a convention is "professional" and "sane". I don't know what you are, but "middle of the camp" is nowhere near it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7