• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Files Response to Vic Mignogna's Lawsuit

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:
Innocent until proven guilty.

Yeah, that doesn't seem to be going well for Vic.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:06 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
I thought the tables flipped and everyone was going to Mignogna's defense?

Now everyone hates him again?
He has a ton of support on Twitter and YouTube. There is even this one guy on YouYube who pumps out endless amount of videos defending Vic, one of those videos where random words in the title are full caps.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
I thought the tables flipped and everyone was going to Mignogna's defense?

Now everyone hates him again?

The majority of people were never on Vic's side. It was just a loud minority of misogynists. Most people actually don't care either way or don't even know this is going on.

Last edited by penguintruth on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:

In a court of law? Yes.

So you mean Funimation? They are the ones being sued.

Presumably, Sony and/or Funimation found enough evidence in their internal investigation that he was guilty in their eyes and feel they were justified terminating his employment. You don't need to sue and prosecute someone to fire them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Vic has a 15+ year reputation for being a creep, and detailed accounts from at least two of his fellow voice actors of him acting inappropriately with them. It isn't some decade and a half spanning conspiracy against one man. Where there's smoke, there's Vic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
karyuudo0127 wrote:

This is a civil suit, not a criminal trial.

Jennifer Sherman wrote:
... Funimation also listed 14 affirmative defenses ....

It varies by state, but usually an affirmative defense means that the burden of proof shifts to the defendant (Funimation in this case) to prove that it's not at fault, instead of the plaintiff (Mignogna in this case) having to prove that the defendant is at fault. 14 affirmative defenses is a lot. Funimation's lawyers must be overwhelmingly confident things will go their way.

Thanks for explaining that. I read the article but felt like I was reading Greek, so thanks for breaking down the legalese for the rest of us.
Alestal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:19 pm Reply with quote
[Removed offsite link --Crisha]

Apparently, Vic's suit cited three specific tweets from Funimation. I'm not sure why the company felt the need to explain or announce their decisions on social media.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Vic can be a sweet guy. I can't deny that; the one time I've met him he was very kind to me, who was a crazy 20-something mess and blubbering like an idiot. However, with dozens of claims going as far back as 1989, and having very close friends who can personally attest to some of Vic's diva-like attitude and questionable issues from first-hand and second-hand experiences, I can't believe there's no fire when there's a lot of smoke. Do I believe all of it is accurate? Of course not; I'm sure and know there are false flags out there. But do I believe he's 100% innocent of any sort of wrong doing and he's some sort of saint? Absolutely not. And I'd be downright a fool to put him on a pedestal and go "He's the greatest ever!" just because I enjoy his work or my one experience when there's so much against him that is plausibly or actually is true. That wouldn't be fair to the victims in the case, because I can't imagine dozens of people are lying about this.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:40 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
Funimation also claimed that Mignogna is "libel-proof."

In other words, his reputation is so terrible, it's impossible to libel him, as he can be believed to have done any horrible thing.

It's a total burn from Funimation. And I hope they eviscerate that creep in court.

I took that to be more along the lines of him being a public figure, but I could be wrong there.

Alestal wrote:

Apparently, Vic's suit cited three specific tweets from Funimation. I'm not sure why the company felt the need to explain or announce their decisions on social media.

I do think that if there was one big mistake Funimation made in this, it was making any kind of announcement. VAs are contractors brought on perform roles, so it would have been pretty easy to quietly stop casting him. Even if prior roles were recast, it would have been left for speculation as to why. My hunch is that other companies will take that route. I know that he finished up work on JoJo while this was happening, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it was decided to let him finish the work he was contracted to do, and then quietly not cast him again.

Then again, Rooster Teeth was ahead of Funimation when it came to announcing they weren't working with him anymore, yet they haven't been sued.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
Funimation also claimed that Mignogna is "libel-proof."

In other words, his reputation is so terrible, it's impossible to libel him, as he can be believed to have done any horrible thing.

It's a total burn from Funimation. And I hope they eviscerate that creep in court.

I took that to be more along the lines of him being a public figure, but I could be wrong there.

No, that's a different defense.

Libel-proof is a virtually impossible to prove`outside convicted serial killers with life sentences like Charles Manson or heinous figures like Adolf Hitler. The fact Vic is able to live a normal life and go out in public essentially proves he's not libel-proof. But Funimation listed it just in case because there's basically no reason not to list it.

To clarify how court works, you have to list all possible defenses you could use in your response. If you don't, then you forgo the option of arguing that defense in court. So the typical response is to list everything you can, including the kitchen sink because if you don't you lose the option to use it later on in the hearing. That's why you see dozens of flimsy and questionable arguments in court documents even when they only plan on sticking to 1 or 2 good arguments. You have nothing to lose by including them, but everything to lose if you don't.
BearSensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Man i really want Vic's case to be done already. I can't wait till he win's this court case also very happy cons are actually bringing him back on. I don't know why it takes so long we all know Vic is gonna win. Excited for the day he wins and i wonder what excuses the people who tried to ruin his life will say.
unready

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:18 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
unready wrote:
Jennifer Sherman wrote:
... Funimation also listed 14 affirmative defenses ....

It varies by state, but usually an affirmative defense means that the burden of proof shifts to the defendant (Funimation in this case) to prove that it's not at fault, instead of the plaintiff (Mignogna in this case) having to prove that the defendant is at fault. 14 affirmative defenses is a lot. Funimation's lawyers must be overwhelmingly confident things will go their way.

Thanks for explaining that. I read the article but felt like I was reading Greek, so thanks for breaking down the legalese for the rest of us.

AmpersandsUnited wrote:
To clarify how court works, you have to list all possible defenses you could use in your response. If you don't, then you forgo the option of arguing that defense in court. ... You have nothing to lose by including them, but everything to lose if you don't.

By asserting affirmative defenses, though, Funimation stipulates that it did everything Mignogna accuses it of doing, but says it's still not at fault. Seriously, Funimation's lawyers are going at this like it's slam-dunk easy. It might actually be easy, but in the meantime, holy cow, their balls are HUGE.
Alestal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Alestal wrote:

I do think that if there was one big mistake Funimation made in this, it was making any kind of announcement. VAs are contractors brought on perform roles, so it would have been pretty easy to quietly stop casting him. Even if prior roles were recast, it would have been left for speculation as to why. My hunch is that other companies will take that route. I know that he finished up work on JoJo while this was happening, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it was decided to let him finish the work he was contracted to do, and then quietly not cast him again.

Then again, Rooster Teeth was ahead of Funimation when it came to announcing they weren't working with him anymore, yet they haven't been sued.

Perhaps they felt that because he has such a large following that they had to publicly address it to avoid looking like the bad guys. I agree that it was a big mistake.

Regarding Rooster Teeth, all I can find online is a simple statement on their website

"Effective today, Vic Mignogna is no longer a part of the cast of RWBY and Rooster Teeth is ending all associations with Mignogna. This will not affect the creative content of RWBY."

They didn't allude to any of the claims or post anything on social media (to my knowledge).

Last edited by Alestal on Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Watching people on Twitter tell several different lawyers over and over that they don't know law is surreal.

But they've been doing it for a week.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:28 pm Reply with quote
#879773 wrote:
If Vic had attempted to apologize to Monica Rial, Jamie Marchi and anybody else he wronged, including Funimation, he might have been able to salvage his career. Any character he has voiced previously will be recast, and I'm guessing that includes Broly for any future DragonBall SUPER appearances.

Lizuka wrote:
He has enough people scrambling to excuse what he did that honestly he probably could have salvaged something from all this if he'd just made an apology but no, of course not.

Granted I'd rather he didn't manage to salvage it. Screw this creep.

He did apologise though. But that wasn't enough because there's no shortage of people that want his blood.

I'd agree that Funimation probably doesn't belong in the defamation suit. They haven't been out on Twitter bad mouthing him whenever possible like the other people named.

Generally I do support Vic, but perhaps a bit differently than others. Do I think Vic has hugged/kissed fans without getting their consent? Yeah, that probably happened. Do I think he did it with ill intent? No. That's just how he's interacted with fans for years and it has never caused an issue until now, so he wouldn't think it was inappropriate. I'm sure all of us can think of a time where we'd done something we just thought was normal until some one told us it was bad. Vic's offenses are at the level where he should have gotten a warning, maybe some docked pay, and a week of sensitivity training in my opinion. Not a complete destruction of his life and career.

I know others have accused him of more serious crimes, but to be honest after seeing how Monica and co act on Twitter, I'm not inclined to trust what they say.

(Removed one line in regards to why Funi fired Vic. If the case ever goes so far as to the defense, Funi will present their defense why. There's no need to minimize the reasons. --Crisha)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13