• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Incredible Artists of Kyoto Animation: Part 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:57 am Reply with quote
I appreciate ANN doing this piece, but I think it is a huge oversight to talk about Yasuhiro Takemoto and not mention that he directed Hyouka, which might be Kyoto Animation's best work to date.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Uda began working at Kyoto Animation as early 2009 creating in-between cels for three episodes of K-ON!

Just wanted to point out that this is incorrect. K-ON! did not use cels as these were largely phased out by 2001 in most anime studios (the one notable exception would be Sazae-san where cels were still used for several more years). It would be accurate to say that Uda created in-between douga used for 3 episodes of K-ON. Most studios used paper and then scanned those into a computer for many years, with many animation studios carrying the practice well into this decade.
rtil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:23 pm Reply with quote
This is very difficult to read. It hurts to know there will be many more of these. I'll always cherish what they left behind, but they had so much more to give.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Nice memorial, the art pieces are a terrific way to remember the lost although the layout is a little confusing. I don't subscribe to ANN but having ads embedded within the body of the memorials every couple of paragraphs is really in bad taste.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
I never watched a KyoAni production before the fire. Now, starting with Hyouka, I've decided to find as many as I can through Funimation and VRV and watch them to experience all of the feelings that these people created. It's an atypical and maybe even self-indulgent approach, but it's the least I can do to not only help them financially but also emotionally.

If you have a Netflix account, you'll find Violet Evergarden there. I finished it myself only yesterday, and will likely get a rewatch. Arguably KyoAni at its visual finest (excluding feature films), and some of the stories are gut-wrenching, but in a good way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2