• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Surpasses 3 Million Subscribers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:33 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Popular or not Sentai or Discotek would release it if they had the license. Crunchyroll does not seem very interested in doing disc releases. A Place Further than the Universe was one of the most beloved shows from 2018, and there is not physical release 2.5 years later.
It's also likely Crunchyroll doesn't have the home video rights to every show they license and they may only have streaming rights for some shows. Yet as mentioned in other posts Crunchyroll clearly has released shows they licensed like Konosuba and almost all the Funiroll shows.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
They keep adding in new series every now and then with their partnership with Kodansha, but most of the new stuff are freebie MiHoYo manhua. There is some legit good full series that can be found here, but since they don't do much with their manga section, leave it broken, and even hid it on their main page about a week ago (yet reformatted and then brought it back), it's hard to recommend series to CR subscribers since most people tell me that the app just crashes all the time (fortunately, THIS issue that went on for months was fixed on most apps....) and they just refuse to use it because of how poorly managed it is...

See that goes back to my OG part of my comment about how they can simply just let it expire and move it over....

I stopped supporting "streaming sites" like Crunchyroll for this reason because they can serioulsy announce on the 30th of the month that it won't be available after the 31st. I hate that all the good series are going to Crunchyroll, getting tied up within their trash website and when they don't care about it they'll just dump it... So in about 4-5 years you won't be able to re-watch it because its not popular anymore and they dropped it and no one else could licence it to release it when it was profitable.

That's why I don't like their service. It's great for already released titles but having sole control over popular titles, I don't like it

They remind me too much of TokyoPop and the limbo they allowed many manga and light novel series to be left in limbo for years...and why I'm super happy J-Novel Club rescued the Slayers novels.

And honestly, I wonder if they're counting subscriptions of accounts. I'd really like to see the actual numbers behind this 3 million to see what are actual "Paid Subscriptions".
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Popular or not Sentai or Discotek would release it if they had the license. Crunchyroll does not seem very interested in doing disc releases. A Place Further than the Universe was one of the most beloved shows from 2018, and there is not physical release 2.5 years later.
It's also likely Crunchyroll doesn't have the home video rights to every show they license and they may only have streaming rights for some shows. Yet as mentioned in other posts Crunchyroll clearly has released shows they licensed like Konosuba and almost all the Funiroll shows.

A Place Further Than The Universe is a show they were on the production committee for so it's basically certain they have the physical media rights for it. That they haven't even dubbed it at the very least after all this time is baffling considering they went back to do backlog titles like Magical Sempai and If It's For My Daughter, I'll Even Defeat the Demon Lord, despite not being nearly as well recieved,
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:

A Place Further Than The Universe is a show they were on the production committee for so it's basically certain they have the physical media rights for it. That they haven't even dubbed it at the very least after all this time is baffling considering they went back to do backlog titles like Magical Sempai and If It's For My Daughter, I'll Even Defeat the Demon Lord, despite not being nearly as well recieved,
I think that's making a lot of assumptions about what's in their contracts with the Japanese studio that we don't really know ourselves. While A Place Further Than The Universe was a big critical darling when it came out, that doesn't necessarily translate to financial success with what the masses want or what they watched. The most popular streaming shows on Crunchyroll are still the big name shonen action shows. Magical Sempai and If It's For My Daughter were more recent shows so it makes sense for them to dub something while the iron strikes hot than to go back and dub something from three years ago that fans have already seen. It just seems to me like if it was in Crunchyroll's best interests to dub A Place Further, they would have done so by now as I don't know what reasoning there would be for them to intentionally withhold dubbing something supposedly so popular that would make them more money that they would just pass on that.
Hakase

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Congrats on the milestone, Crunchyroll
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:20 pm Reply with quote
The core business works.

For all you can say about their forays into original content, ranging from the mostly well received (Tower of God, God of Highschool) to the walking punchline (High Guardian Spice) to the “Please God say you cancelled this, the writer has 60 women accusing him of sexual coercion!” (FreakAngels), the core business of getting anime to people ASAP works. People want anime. They want anime legally, when they want, and they want a lot of it. And to that end, they’re doing their job.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Now if only they would pay translators anywhere near what their competition does (which is still not amazing or livable in any real sense, but is at least a lot closer to it).
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:40 am Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
Now if only they would pay translators anywhere near what their competition does (which is still not amazing or livable in any real sense, but is at least a lot closer to it).

You would hope the translators and the other core personnel would put their collective heads together and start asking.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:16 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
You would hope the translators and the other core personnel would put their collective heads together and start asking.

That sounds good, to gather to leverage their collective bargaining power to pressure negotiations on those issues. If just there was such an organisat...oh wait.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:41 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
90% of the Winter '20 season was on just two services, CR and Funimation. Please stop spreading misinformation.

Can you explain why you want to defend highly anti-competitive exclusivity on streaming platforms?

Easy, cost and convenience. With a few exceptions, any given show will only be on one service. You are going to have to subscribe to the specific service if you want to see the show. The price of subscription will be the same regardless if you want to see one show in the season or several. If most of the new shows for the current season are licensed by two or three services, it will be cheaper than if you have to subscribe to a multitude of services. It is also a lot more convenient if you don't have to check multiple sites to find what you want to watch.

It would be a problem if only one service gained a monopoly on anime, but that hasn't happened yet.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:55 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

Kougeru wrote:
Have to subscribe to everything to watch even 50% of shows.
90% of the Winter '20 season was on just two services, CR and Funimation. Please stop spreading misinformation.

Can you explain why you want to defend highly anti-competitive exclusivity on streaming platforms?

That's not what he said in the slightest. Either you're not reading what he said closely, or you're trying to pull a strawman argument. He was responding to a user who made a blatantly false, or shall we say highly exaggerated, claim that you have to subscribe to every streaming service just to be able to see 50% of the available shows. Which is entirely incorrect. The vast majority of the anime season Zalis referenced could be seen on simply 2 services. Which is the case most seasons. It's very rare that anything less than 70-75%, at a minimum, of possible anime streaming to the West appear on more than the 2 main services. Those being Crunchyroll and Funimation. Saying that has zero to do with supporting or defending having a higher multitude of streaming services. It's simply a fact.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Has Amazon Prime even licensed anything all year?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:38 am Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:

I don't think you understand the definition of "anti-competitive." Exclusive licenses are not an anti-competitive act, they are a form of competition. Trying to do better, in this case, get a better catalog, is how they compete.

Exclusive licenses don't even really qualify as "exclusive dealing" (exclusive dealing would be when one licensee made a contract with one licensor where all that licensor's properties would be offerred exclusively to that licensee in the future).

Exclusive dealing is recognized as sometimes being anti-competitive.

Here's an example of exclusive dealing that isn't anti-competitive. Crunchyroll signs a contract with TBS to get first dibs on all TBS shows, but other licensees can get TBS shows that CR turns down, and other licensees still have access to the rest of the market, and even have the opportunity to sign their own exclusive deals with other licensors.

Here's an example of exclusive dealing that is anti-competitive. Crunchyroll signs a deal with TBS for first look on all TBS shows, and the deal also forbids TBS from selling the shows that CR turns down to other licensees.

Here's an example of exclusive dealing that is very anti-competitive CR signs the same deal as above with licensors that represent the majority of every season's worth of anime.

And to take things to the extreme level of anti-competitiveness, if CR were to leverage market dominance to force as many licensors as possible into exclusive dealing with threats like, "If you don't go 100% exclusive with us, we won't buy anything from you."

All that to say, Funimation, Crunchyroll and Netflix all having equal access to licenses, and snapping up exclusive licenses for individual shows is not "anti-competitive" in the least.

Ironically a successful anti-competition campaign that created one monopoly for anime streaming would arguably be better for consumers (but not the industry), because consumers would then only have to pay for one subscription service to get all the shows.

What you obviously want is for first-run anime to be syndicated non-exclusive. I don't think that's a very realistic proposition. AFAIK, TV has never operated that way, not in North America, not in anime, that said, it is how music and North American theatrical is done.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

Kougeru wrote:
Have to subscribe to everything to watch even 50% of shows.

Can you explain why you want anime-specific services to be mowed down by deep-pocketed mainstream streaming services? Who's going to pay for the likes of CR and Funi when they can get all the same stuff and Star Wars / Marvel / etc. on Disney+? Look, I'll admit that the current system isn't 100% perfect, but when I can subscribe to three services for a year for what it cost to buy one (Fall 2003) 26-episode series on DVD back in 2005, it's hard to see that as anything other than a massive shift in a pro-consumer direction.

And exclusive licensing was the norm back then too -- I couldn't have bought a competing version of ROD the TV (perhaps with different pricing, packaging, translations, dubbing, or extras) from Funimation or ADV, because Geneon USA had the license. Yet no one complained about exclusivity back then. Funny how it was only after the US anime industry cut its prices by over 90%, cut release times from years to hours, and moved away from physical-media-only to online distribution, that viewers suddenly came up with these philosophical objections to exclusivity.

It's also telling that many of those who rail against exclusivity in the name of free-market competition are also piracy advocates, which is like finger-wagging at Lance Armstrong for doping in the Tour de France, while cheering for the guy entering the race on a motorcycle -- a completely non-serious position. And the pro-piracy crowd that complains about content distributors competing with content are simultaneously all too happy to champion bootleg sites for having content that the legal sites don't have.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:59 pm Reply with quote
@ xxmsxx - touting streamers getting exclusive licenses for shows as "anti-competitive" would be like saying CBS or ABC or NBC are being "anti-competitive" for not allowing rival broadcasters to license and air their shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3