• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mob Psycho 100 Official Accounts Comment on Anime Trending in the U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:08 am Reply with quote
Oh, man, this was hilarious! I hope everyone around the world of all political persuasions can agree: Mob Psycho 100 is a fantastic series, and Mob is a greasy main character. Who wouldn’t want to see him first on an image search for “Mob”?! Laughing
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:25 am Reply with quote
Ah, the old trolling technique of bombing Google and getting certain images to pop up when people search for specific words by brigading the SEO . People have been doing that for ages for all kinds of things. Laughing That's why Google's pretty unreliable to use and why other search engines show the typical mob of people images since they index things differently than how Google's ever mysterious "algorithm" does.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:52 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Mob is a greasy main character

Take a shower, Mob!
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:32 am Reply with quote
Mob being like "Hello, yes, I am Best Boy." Was so happy when I saw the best, most wholesome, boy in anime was trending.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:06 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Ah, the old trolling technique of bombing Google and getting certain images to pop up when people search for specific words by brigading the SEO . People have been doing that for ages for all kinds of things. Laughing That's why Google's pretty unreliable to use and why other search engines show the typical mob of people images since they index things differently than how Google's ever mysterious "algorithm" does.

Or, y'know, people just search for images of an anime/character more often than they search for images of generic groups of people or the mafia? This stuff's been happening but with KanColle/Azur Lane or Fate GO characters for years. Doesn't have to be intentional bombing or anything like that, since I don't imagine any fans of Mob Psycho 100 decided to organize to skew search results, in the same way people making fanart of Hamakaze didn't intend to dominate the search results for a 1940's warship.
wolfy2005

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:48 am Reply with quote
I noticed most of the top images for non-anime mobs were actually flash mobs and not the rioters forgotten middle child was probably expecting. So what is he saying, Google doesn't like spontaneous fun????
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:54 am Reply with quote
wolfy2005 wrote:
I noticed most of the top images for non-anime mobs were actually flash mobs and not the rioters forgotten middle child was probably expecting. So what is he saying, Google doesn't like spontaneous fun????

He's saying that Google should be as stupid and racist as he, and the people in this thread stretching themselves to give excuses for this, are, but ended up hilariously displaying that the reality of the world does not actually align with that.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:51 pm Reply with quote
On one hand, accusing a company that has openly admitted to adjusting search results to promote certain people and groups over others is manipulating data is kind of a no-brainer. But on the other hand I don't really think this is anything. Even with whats going on right now I don't really see any people calling current events a "mob". Maybe if this was the result for "riot" or "protest" then I could see it, but "mob" is seldom used for current events, if at all. Searching for pages and news for mob on various sites just shows either organized crime-related articles or articles about online social media mobs. I think he's wrong, but I also think the people rushing to defend big tech and misconstrue things just to side against him are also being dumb, but that's just politics I guess.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:44 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
I'm planning to watch Mob Psycho but is there a legit reason he's shown as a internet sex icon on google?

This is why.

And don't sit on that plan to watch it. No time like the present!
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
and Mob is a greasy main character.
No, Reigen is the greasy main character.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Google simply adjusts searches to cater to what most people want.

It does also adjust to what it thinks you want, though. Other search engines likely do this too, besides non-tracking ones like DuckDuckGo, but Google will generally have the most information about a person because it's what people use the most.

So the real story here is... Eric Trump watches anime. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Maybe he was using someone else's computer/phone...
simona.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:28 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
"Most importantly, scumbag con artist and internet sex symbol Reigen is back in business."

well he is darn sexy, so *\(^0^)/*
murgleis1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Lol, I think I have some serious respect for Eric Trump now. Very Happy
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised, try typing "Knuckles" and "Human Knuckles" and see what you get, lol! Feel like Eric is just trolling. Like they say, beware of bad faith actors.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:58 pm Reply with quote
All this time I've been living my life the way my father saw it. Righting wrongs for a ghost, thinking I'm here to do good. Anime was never real. Just the dream of a farmer from New York. -
Eric Trump.

Anime Ja Nai became real in 2020. Wow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MLuwuzQd_I
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3