• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
SSSS.Dynazenon (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:10 am Reply with quote

SSSS.Dynazenon (TV)

Genres: action, science fiction
Themes: mecha

Plot Summary: One day on his way home, a first-year student of Fujiyokidai High School named Yomogi Asanaka meets a mysterious man named Gauma who claims to be a “Monster Tamer.” Suddenly, a Kaiju and a giant robot, Dynazenon, appear. Yume Minami, Koyomi Yamanaka, and Chise Asukagawa also happen to be passing by, and together with Yomogi they are caught up in a battle with the Kaiju.
----------------------------------

Tsuburaya Productions and Trigger's new SSSS.Dynazenon anime project.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Is this a sequel or spinoff of Gridman?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:44 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was not enough to surmise that, but it seems to me so far that it's actually unrelated
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Just wondering for Index purposes. I haven't even seen Gridman, yet. Guess I'll have to watch that, then this, and see where it goes.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I think for index purposes it probably should be separate, just because if someone goes looking for it, they're going to do so by name. If they have different names, it's probably best to keep them separate.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:31 am Reply with quote
The first episode felt a bit chaotic, with elements that don't make a lot of sense yet. I think that I preferred the first episode of Gridman in comparison. I think my favourite part of the episode was the exceptionally cheesy chanting of Dynazenenon, since that corny retro stuff were some of the best parts of Gridman in monster designs, how they were made as if by the old logic of those shows with people in big rubber costumes.

I am also not sure how it is connected to SSSS.Gridman, and if familiarity would be expected or not, since being familiar with that show is going to give me some expectations to the world.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

First episode had me a little worried, but second totally sold it. I think it started with showing Yomogi confused inside of Dynazenon, with the music being quieter when inside, following a subtle stylistic implication that the music actually happening inside of the show. It is that touch of playing with the 4th wall or medium that I thought was one of the best parts of Gridman, and was wonderfully used again when the teens summoned their mechs and was just like those old shows.

Big shift from the first series, the damage caused by the kaiju is staying, which I would say is a pretty major departure, since an element of shock in that series was that everyone acted like nothing happened. So seeing how everyone reacts to kaiju battles being a real thing is interesting. Are any deaths cause by collateral damage going to be mentioned? By her physique Chise also makes me think of Borr, I wonder if what part she is going to play.

Also, I totally laughed at how awkward the dinosaur mech left to Yomogi looked as he was trying to figure out how to move.

Also, a strange inversion that Yomogi was the one being kind of irresponsible in not doing the training, for one being that Yuame comes across as irresponsible, and how Yomogi is different to Yuta. I know there is going to be easy comparisons to make with Yomogi and Yume to Yuta and Rikka, although the kind of detached part of Yume also comes across a bit like Akane.
Kabuby 77

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:35 am Reply with quote
The first part where the characters are introduced was watchable, then when the 3DCG characters appeared , I lost all interest.
It's not my style, i think the generations raised with digimon etc etc are more familiar with this type of products.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:39 am Reply with quote
Kabuby 77 wrote:
The first part where the characters are introduced was watchable, then when the 3DCG characters appeared , I lost all interest.
It's not my style, i think the generations raised with digimon etc etc are more familiar with this type of products.

With regards to 3DCG characters, I am not sure if you are talking about when the kaiju battle started. The thing is that it is meant to be reminiscent of of giant kaiju battles that were just people in rubber suits in a model of a city (Tokusatsu), like the Power Rangers. The series is doing purposeful suck that it could be happening in one of those TV shows, with small details taking advantage of animation. The general idea is not to go on strictly realism as we know it, but the sort of shows that you could sear that you see the person inside of the rubber suit or film techniques trying to sell the idea that things are a different size.

It is not for everyone, but it can be rather impressive and entertaining if you are watching it through the right lens. Kind of like watching Last Action Hero, where you are seeing a mindless action movie with all its tropes filtered through a self aware comedy movie.
Kabuby 77

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:49 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
...The thing is that it is meant to be reminiscent of of giant kaiju battles that were just people in rubber suits in a model of a city (Tokusatsu), like the Power Rangers. ....

Yes I'm old enough to remember... Wink it was pretty obvious.
There are many anime that use digital animation, I'm not against it, but it often seems fake because they don't spend enough. There is a scene where a skyscraper falls to the ground and bounces Very Happy .
I hope there will be more storyline, and fewer ugly and stupid monsters, like old '60 '70 anime,but I will definitely be proved wrong.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:55 am Reply with quote
Kabuby 77 wrote:
There are many anime that use digital animation, I'm not against it, but it often seems fake because they don't spend enough. There is a scene where a skyscraper falls to the ground and bounces Very Happy .

And You can be pretty certain that it was totally on purpose. If Trigger wanted they could have just had the building just collapse, but they decided to animate it like they were plastic models of a miniature meant to look like a building, but a bit uncanny. The second episode in particular from my point of view was meant to be focusing on some of the disconnect between how the destruction looked in battle, compared to when the characters went to look at the wreckage outside of battle, which felt more visceral.

In my opinion SSSS.Gridman did play on elements of the uncanny. Talking about the uncanny is usually about something looking human but not quite right, at least following Gridman I think there is a part of reality not being quite right, everything about Akane in Gridman was pretty much that.

Talking about Trigger going out of its way for stylistic suck, I think that was some of my favourite parts from their shows like Kill la Kill, but it was like all of Inferno Cop, so Trigger have been doing it since the beginning.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Oh, an Inferno Cop reference, SSSS.Gridman had the same one during a karaoke scene, which as far as I know is the animation for the song Die Hollen Polizei.

As I am watching the show, I am wondering if I am having some weird dissonance. like the show is maybe expecting some sort of romance between Yomogi and Yume, but I am not really feeling it at this point. Like Yomogi is beginning to admit that he might have a crush, but it really doesn't seem to be the thing with Yume. I am wondering if it is some element of thinking about Rikka and Akane, which in Gridman finished super vague in reading it in two different ways, so I might be primsed to think Yume shouldn't need the obvious route of getting a boy to become a better person. If anything I think the thought is popping into my head that it might be a disservice to her characters. I am wondering if it a me problem though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

The best part of the episode was most certainly the half a minute long scene of just watching Yume eat a churro, the awkwardness was fantastic. It actually made me laugh from the idea that it was not just making a scene go a bit longer to save some animation, the whole episode really seemed geared to save on animation, but was like a statement that they are going to make us watch this awkward human teen moment. The episode also reused the clip of a lifesaver, just not moving, when Gauma was about to run.

Also noticed a change with the music, it had songs that seemed more contemporary with female singers.

The episode also kind of left things off with the hint of rumours that Yume's sister committed suicide. I was kind of suspecting it, since Yume mentioned that her sister acted much less happy at home in private, which gives the impression that she might have had some form of depression and was trying hard to keep up appearances at school.

Chise also notably kept a sleeve on her arm when in a swimsuit, perhaps a hint of her being uncomfortable with what is under it. Perhaps self inflicted scars, a reason she does not go to school. Chise's deal has been rather up in the air, she apparently can control the mech alright, I thought the OP might hint she would turn evil perhaps some element of left out of the group.
zztop

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:32 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 5

Also noticed a change with the music, it had songs that seemed more contemporary with female singers.

Dynazenon's been using actual Japanese pop songs from PonyCanyon.
This episode used :

- Instrumental version of Gimme! Revolution by Uchida Maaya (the OP for Ore no Twintail ni Narimasu)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSH-oDFJQho

- Hoshikuzu no Curtain by Mimori Suzuko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiSx6Vs7KAc

Also be sure to catch up with the extra voice drama 5.5, which focuses on the kaiju eugenicists at the water park shortly after their loss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4R1ttSY2n8
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:13 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
- Instrumental version of Gimme! Revolution by Uchida Maaya (the OP for Ore no Twintail ni Narimasu)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSH-oDFJQho

Perhaps it sounded familiar to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2