• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Marvel, Penguin Random House Sign Exclusive Distribution Deal for Comic Direct Market

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikura

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Good for them. We need to move away from diamond. That company is horrid on how it handles things.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't think people realize how big this news is. For those who aren't aware, Diamond is THE comic book distributor in America. They just recently lost DC, and now Marvel is leaving as well. This will completely change the landscape of the American comic industry.

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, this is huge. Diamond has long held what's pretty much a monopoly on direct market comics distribution. It'll be interesting to see where things go from here.
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:16 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
Good for them. We need to move away from diamond. That company is horrid on how it handles things.

You run a comic book shop then? otherwise your opinion is worthless as in the direct market the comic shop is the customer as they buy non-returnable.

You are your local comic book shops customer not a customer of Diamond or Marvel comics.
TheMP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
You run a comic book shop then? otherwise your opinion is worthless as in the direct market the comic shop is the customer as they buy non-returnable.

I'll step in as I manage the purchasing for a "comic book shop" and say that Diamond is the absolute worst business I have ever dealt with! Their ordering system is from the 90s and one-third of every order ever shipped to us was completely wrong. Trying to get them to ship the correct items was like pulling teeth! We dropped them ages ago. We deal with PRH on a regular basis and while they're slow, they don't screw around with us. I cannot emphasize enough how bad and backwards Diamond is!
sniper_samurai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:32 pm Reply with quote
TheMP wrote:
Ushio wrote:

I'll step in as I manage the purchasing for a "comic book shop" and say that Diamond is the absolute worst business I have ever dealt with! Their ordering system is from the 90s and one-third of every order ever shipped to us was completely wrong. Trying to get them to ship the correct items was like pulling teeth! We dropped them ages ago. We deal with PRH on a regular basis and while they're slow, they don't screw around with us. I cannot emphasize enough how bad and backwards Diamond is!

Doesn't help when they constantly keep putting reprints into the system as new comics.

The UK branch have also made an absolute mess of Brexit which is causing a lot of comics in the EU to be delayed multiple weeks as their paperwork for export is extremely sloppy.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Don't mind me and my friends who are celebrating our liberation from the worst distribution partner you could ever image.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
hikura wrote:

You are your local comic book shops customer not a customer of Diamond or Marvel comics.

.....I take it you have no idea A) how much of a strangle hold diamond monopoly has had over the industry
And B) how horrible they are to deal with

If we can't get in the product the customer wants because our supplier is a POS! then we can't sell it to them. the main problem with diamond hasn't been that they over charge or have bad policies. Its that they haven't given a #&5# about giving their customers what they want or fulfilling their customers orders that they paid for.
hikura

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
hikura wrote:

Yes i do help run a comic book/game shop.As people already explained to you i do not have to explain it any further,
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1