• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Winter 2022 Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:28 am Reply with quote
Florete wrote:

Yikes. Every time I criticize that show someone really gets triggered. It's impressive, in its own way. I didn't like Komi's lead boy. Why is this so hard to accept?

Yup they do. That's mostly because Tadano is a self insert. As his name literally translates to, Tadano Hitohito is just an Average Guy. Series like Komi-san play on the fantasy that you can be a literal nobody, average guy with no special looks, skills or ambition and you can still land the most perfect girl that has ever perfected, the most beautiful, kind, school idol and goddess, just by being who you are and just by showing basic human decency.

What is being conveniently left out of this fantasy though is that Tadano is a genuine nice guy, and not a "Nice Guy"TM, e.g. he doesn't "act" nice just to land Komi and he's not expecting to, that's just how he is. Personally I like him. He is refreshing and a good example of being a kind and empathetic person. I also understand the notion of be a good person and good things will come your way and the fact that every fantasy has its role. What I'm not too fond of is the side-message of men being taught that they are entitled to a girl just by doing the bare minimum of being "nice" to her, but every fantasy has its upsides and downsides.

If you don't like these tropes, you should watch Oresuki (Ore wo Suki Na No Wa Omae Dake ka yo) which parodies them and explains why they don't actually work the way people are made to believe so. It then kind of falls into its own pitfalls, but it still retains some good stuff in it overall.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:26 am Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting World's End Harem to get picked up at all. Especially over other shows like Orient or The Strongest Sage. And Orient not getting picked up was another big surprise, considering that it's from the creator of Magi so I figured that it would have been more popular.
livin_large

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:03 am Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:
I wasn't expecting World's End Harem to get picked up at all. Especially over other shows like Orient or The Strongest Sage. And Orient not getting picked up was another big surprise, considering that it's from the creator of Magi so I figured that it would have been more popular.

If we're going off strict popularity, Worlds End Harem shouldn't be too surprising since it's one of the more popular anime of the season. Sadly for fans of Orient and Strongest Sage those series didn't seem to gain much attention or traction from what I've seen.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:09 am Reply with quote
A few surprises both at shows that got in, and shows that didn't, but the one I can't wrap my head around is continuing with Platinum End. I didn't watch more than the first episode, but cursory checks of the reviews were not positive (from 1 - 2.5 stars with one 3; an ave of 3.3 from viewers for most eps), and there were only 33 posts discussing the series in the forum, most talking about Ohba, Death Note and Bakuman, and how awful PE was. Those posts were not engaging with it like it was a troll review series, so I'm left wondering about this apparently silent plurality who voted to see the suffering continue.
andramus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:28 am Reply with quote
There were a couple of series I would have liked to see get reviewed but the one I'm most disappointed about missing out is Yashahime. Unless I'm mistaken the series is drawing to a close and and I think it's a pity that it's remaining episodes won't get reviewed. It's a bit like tapping out on the last leg of a marathon.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:41 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
A few surprises both at shows that got in, and shows that didn't, but the one I can't wrap my head around is continuing with Platinum End. I didn't watch more than the first episode, but cursory checks of the reviews were not positive (from 1 - 2.5 stars with one 3; an ave of 3.3 from viewers for most eps), and there were only 33 posts discussing the series in the forum, most talking about Ohba, Death Note and Bakuman, and how awful PE was. Those posts were not engaging with it like it was a troll review series, so I'm left wondering about this apparently silent plurality who voted to see the suffering continue.

I guess despite everything it's still a very popular series by the creators' name alone. I mean Death Note is still one of the most popular series ever overseas, so another title by the same creators are going to draw in numbers no matter what. I don't think the wast majority of people care much about reviews anyway. Or if they do, it's out of morbid curiosity.

Of course, if you ask my opinion, it's totally undeserved, Ohba is a one-hit wonder and Bakuman was cockawful, it's one of the worst mangas I completed besides Bleach and it was a complete waste of my time, and I don't intend to touch Platinum End anytime soon, from what I read about it, it manages to be even worse. Then again, my opinion is solely of mine alone and has nothing to do with public opinion.

@Hiroki not Takuya: thank you Smile
Penrhos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:04 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to the reviews of "Worlds end harem" more than the actual episodes. TBH I stopped reading when it all went a bit NTR.

Please allow Nick to watch the AT-X version and not the "5 year old with a sharpie" censored version so he can at least enjoy the PLOT.

Nice to see most of what I've decided to watch get weekly reviews.

I can't believe the gluttons for punishment that are persevering with Platinum End - I gave up and dropped it ages ago - Death note it most certainly isn't....
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:38 am Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I guess despite everything it's still a very popular series by the creators' name alone. I mean Death Note is still one of the most popular series ever overseas, so another title by the same creators are going to draw in numbers no matter what. I don't think the wast majority of people care much about reviews anyway. Or if they do, it's out of morbid curiosity.

Of course, if you ask my opinion, it's totally undeserved, Ohba is a one-hit wonder and Bakuman was cockawful, it's one of the worst mangas I completed besides Bleach and it was a complete waste of my time, and I don't intend to touch Platinum End anytime soon, from what I read about it, it manages to be even worse. Then again, my opinion is solely of mine alone and has nothing to do with public opinion.

@Hiroki not Takuya: thank you Smile

I want to see the reviews of the very infamous ending of the Platinum End the manga adapted into anime, it could be glorious. Yes, the ending is apparently even worse then what you get currently. Also, I enjoyed the episode reviews even without commenting.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:55 am Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
What I'm not too fond of is the side-message of men being taught that they are entitled to a girl just by doing the bare minimum of being "nice" to her, but every fantasy has its upsides and downsides.

I think that's the big problem and why "nice guy" exist in the first place. People get into the idea that being nice to someone is exceptional (despite it being the default for 90% of humanity) so if they're nice to a girl and she doesn't immediately fawn over them she must be a stuck up bitch or w/e.

The first episode of Komi is the perfect example, Tadano speak maybe 4 innocuous line of dialogue to Komi and she immediately tell him her entire life story, despite being supposedly extremely shy, incapable of communicating and apparently having horde of people fascinated by her.
Kirki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:56 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I voted for that you can count me guilty. Laughing No it's not a troll review, nor is it exactly suffering (I guess) for the reviewer. Nobody is going to lie about how bad it is, but it's actually really fun to try and analyze exactly what makes it this bad and what could have gone so wrong with Ohba's writing. It's kind of... new in the ways it's bad, do I make sense? Like, bad in a way we haven't seen before and it's mostly about its core ideas and philosophy.

On the other hand, I went and read the first chapter of Orient that the anime covers just so I could take a quick look on the series, and it was incredibly bad in all the cliched and tiresome ways. Like, really, uninterestingly bad. Kind of difficult to think that this is from the same person who wrote Magi. Doesn't surprise me at all that it didn't make the cut.

And with that, I think this is the first season where all of my picks made it. Yay!

Very Happy
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:23 am Reply with quote
andramus wrote:
earl.m wrote:
Now Konosuba and Re:Zero are too, yet are hypocritical about it because they still give Subaru and Kazuma amazing feats and several (beautiful) romantic options in works that are supposed to be parodies and deconstructions.

I'm a Re:Zero fan so I feel the need to challenge the assertion that it's a deconstruction. If that was the author's intent I've haven't heard that anywhere. Certainly the series took a different approach to other similar stories and subverted some of the usual tropes but does doing things a bit differently to the usual automatically make something a deconstruction?

At most, Re:Zero just pokes a bit of fun at some of the common tropes of isekai stories, and even then this is mostly in the beginning arcs. Subaru being a bit of a tactless loser who needs to forge real connections with others in order to make meaningful progress on the obstacles in his way certainly sets it apart from other isekai, but it's not really indicative of it being a deconstruction. The closest element in the show that I can think of that might apply is his relationship with Emilia in the early episodes, but once a lot of those problematic aspects are ironed out, it's mostly just a great fantasy story with a very well-realized protagonist.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:56 am Reply with quote
primalmaximus wrote:
I really feel bad for Mercedes. She has to review Akebi's Sailor Uniform, and if you guys thought the first episode was weird, from what I could handle reading of the manga, it gets even creepier.

Episode 2 of Akebi-chan no Sailor Fuku was about as creepy as A Channel. Happy that Clewis is reviewing, rather than someone who would complain about the subject matter and pacing being boring (same for Slow Loop).
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:05 pm Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:

I would have been surprised if WEH didn't make the cut. It's the kind of ridiculous trashiness that tends to be popular in the West, and as episode 2 shows, there is at least somewhat of a plot to it. There will be some discussion-worthy points to it, I suspect.

The Strongest Sage, OTOH, is a much weaker (at least so far) version of The Misfit at Demon King Academy, and power fantasy bottomfeeders usually don't make the cut, either. (She Professed Herself Pupil of the Wise Man not making the cut was also predictable, as I rated both about the same.) Orient screams "generic shonen action series," so that one not making it wasn't surprising, either, despite its pedigree.

Honestly, among the titles that didn't make the cut, the only slight surprise for me was Police in a Pod, and no title which made the cut surprised me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
09jcg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Honestly, among the titles that didn't make the cut, the only slight surprise for me was Police in a Pod, and no title which made the cut surprised me.
Police in a Pod not making the cut is a bit of a shame. Episode 2 showed that there's more going on under the hood than one might expect. It's rare when an anime tackles themes like sexual assault, prostitution and domestic violence in a rather adult manner.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:43 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
Key wrote:

Police in a Pod not making the cut is a bit of a shame. Episode 2 showed that there's more going on under the hood than one might expect. It's rare when an anime tackles themes like sexual assault, prostitution and domestic violence in a rather adult manner.

I voted for it too, unfortunately it didn't make the cut.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5