• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Requiem of the Rose King

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CGesange

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:36 pm Reply with quote
The article for episode 8 says Joan of Arc was charged with witchcraft for supposedly having "unwomanly ways", which was not the reason given either in the transcript nor by eyewitnesses who were at the trial. A number of the tribunal members later said the English troops were afraid to besiege Louviers because they thought Joan could continue using black magic to defeat them even while in prison, which was one of the reasons they wanted her dead. The other reason was simply that they wanted to discredit her assertion that God had sent her to support Charles VII, hence they wanted to convict her of heresy to undermine her cause. English government records show that they manipulated the trial using "collaborators" whom they placed on the tribunal to convict her on charges which many tribunal members later admitted were deliberately false.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I was talking specifically about Shakespeare rather than history, which I should have made clear. Sorry about that. (And of course the Shakespeare is open to interpretation.)
yeehaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Alas, poor Richard. Friendzoned after all this flirting.
Kirki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:24 am Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
Alas, poor Richard. Friendzoned after all this flirting.

I know, right??? It took his heart and soul to admit that he's in love with Henry, and now Henry casually friendzones him by showering him with ideas of Christian purity and plenty of sexual trauma. Meanwhile, Edward and Anne are casually bickering about who loves Richard the most when they were supposed to be doing it, and none of those three characters know the full truth about Richard's identity.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Richard's definitely not fooling him when he claims Henry as an innocent shepherd.

Was he trying to? I have likely missed/forgotten some important things while trying to keep all these people straight (so to speak), but I didn't think Richard ever knew that his simple shepherd love is King Henry, did he? He keeps talking about just wanting to kill Henry for killing his father, even as he pines for the man in the flesh.

Way to kill the mood, mom.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:14 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
Richard's definitely not fooling him when he claims Henry as an innocent shepherd.

Was he trying to? I have likely missed/forgotten some important things while trying to keep all these people straight (so to speak), but I didn't think Richard ever knew that his simple shepherd love is King Henry, did he? He keeps talking about just wanting to kill Henry for killing his father, even as he pines for the man in the flesh.

Way to kill the mood, mom.

I think he knows who Henry is, imho, but Richard is one deeply conflicted person. When he is around people who want Henry dead, he talks the talk. When he's alone, he kind of mentally, um, wanders off a bit. When Catesby found them in the woods, he really needed to give Catesby some plausible reason not to kill Henry, so Richard did a pretty bit of talking, and - my interpretation - Catesby went along with it, regardless of what Catesby really thought.

Later, when Catesby takes his leave of Richard, I thought C was troubled. Again, imho.

An aside, I really think I need to print out the list of characters from a wiki or somewhere, and one with pictures. This is hard. Confused
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:22 am Reply with quote
If he knows, when did he figure it out? I don't recall him having any Juliet moment.

My only love sprung from my only hate,
Too early seen unknown, and known too late!
Prodigious birth of love is it to me
That I must love a loathed enemy.
ShinraDog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If he knows, when did he figure it out? I don't recall him having any Juliet moment.

My only love sprung from my only hate,
Too early seen unknown, and known too late!
Prodigious birth of love is it to me
That I must love a loathed enemy.

I don't think he actually knows but he might have an idea that he's deeply in denial about. There was a scene cut out of the anime (in ep 5 I think? The one where Richard goes to stay with Warwick.) spoiler[Basically, Richard hears King Henry is locked up and decides he wants to be the one to cut off his head. He rushes over to the door while Henry is locked up and tries to kick it down, yelling about who he is and how Henry killed his dad. Henry says something like "Richard? I love that name and your voice. Could you keep talking?" Richard realizes the voice on the other end sounds a LOT like 'his' Henry - when they were staying together in the house and Henry was talking to him through the door - and he freaks out. But later on after he's been sent to Warwick's to prevent him from killing King Henry, he decides that it must have been his mind playing tricks on him. ]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Why he looks so young here is probably to facilitate the romance between Henry and Richard

Hmm, I guess if they'd made him look his age, that would certainly have opened up a whole different can of worms, now wouldn't it, given Richard's daddy issues...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:22 am Reply with quote
Well that was just tragedy piled on tragedy. Richard getting smacked in the face one right after the other with moony Edward and Anne showing up on the enemy's side (I guess he never realized Edward was the prince either?). I really did feel bad for Edward too. He really did try to make his momma proud of him and be the King everyone wanted. Though I still can't quite figure out how he hoped things were ever going to work out between him and Richard, even if Richard returned his feelings. Love does muddle the brain, I guess.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:50 pm Reply with quote
The scene were Anne stands between Richard and Edward was heartbreaking. Richard still thinks Anne hates him! My heart! I guess she's in jail now but I hope she and Richard eventually get to solve that misunderstanding.
Aside from that Edwards death was visually beautiful.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Though I still can't quite figure out how he hoped things were ever going to work out between him and Richard, even if Richard returned his feelings. Love does muddle the brain, I guess.

He mentioned how when he's king he can kinda do whatever he want, and I don't think pardoning and marrying Richard would be too hard. Not popular for sure but neither was Edward marrying some rando instead of a french royal
ShinraDog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:59 am Reply with quote
It's really a shame that the anime glossed over the fact that (trigger warning and spoilers): spoiler[Henry was tied up and raped by his wife in front of a bunch of witnesses.] It makes his problem with sex seem like only from seeing his mom and also religious. While those are big parts, he also went through something truly awful and is possibly the reason he was not a very involved part of his son's life.

The anime actually does have one brief flashback to the moment in ep 4 when Henry is about to kiss Richard and gets spooked by the lightning, but then the show never follows up or tells you what his memory was.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:13 am Reply with quote
I'm hearing Akira Ishida in the first scene. Whoever that is on the stage, he can't be a side character.... Laughing
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:56 am Reply with quote
ShinraDog wrote:
It's really a shame that the anime glossed over the fact that (trigger warning and spoilers): spoiler[Henry was tied up and raped by his wife in front of a bunch of witnesses.] It makes his problem with sex seem like only from seeing his mom and also religious. While those are big parts, he also went through something truly awful and is possibly the reason he was not a very involved part of his son's life.

The anime actually does have one brief flashback to the moment in ep 4 when Henry is about to kiss Richard and gets spooked by the lightning, but then the show never follows up or tells you what his memory was.

That makes more sense. I wasn't sure if those were meant to be flashbacks to the same thing since it looked like two different women involved. It probably helps explain her handling of her son's own situation.
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I fell off tracking this series for a few weeks (a lot happened), and what the hell. The last two episodes (not counting the recap) have been unironically good. The new OP is even competing with Ya Boy Kongming for OP of the season. The ED by ZAQ will be missed.

It's usually a capital-P Problem when a female character is introduced breasts-first, but holy cow is it the perfect way to introduce Jane Shore. The shot where her mob-face fades away to reveal that nope, she's going to be a key player, was pretty great. (It's also fantastic that Elizabeth is now rendered with mob-face when sitting next to her husband, in a darkly funny kind of way.)

We now have a mini-mini-Edward, and he is the world's most precious little boy. I certainly hope nothing happens to this precious ball of sunshine. We also have the two princes, and I already know what those three words mean when spoken in that particular order in the Plantagenet context. I know full well what I am getting into with this cours (at least historically), and its probably the only way I'd be able to get through it at all. Hoo boy.

I will pray for the miracle that this and Precure continue to get weekly coverage, but I know not to hold my breath.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3