• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atelier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda surprised how lukewarm a lot of people felt about the earlier episodes. I have seen this sentiment a lot, that Shikimori has started to "get good" in the second half, while I thought that the show has been incredibly charming and wholesome from the very beginning. Imo, it did a good job introducing us to the characters, their dynamics and everything, and then used the second half to expand on that and give us a deeper look into their minds, backstory etc. No doubt, the second half is stronger, but I really don't feel like the first half was weak at all.

Either way, really great episode this week, and it really gives us a deeper and better understanding for the personality of Shikimori, but also Izumi.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Not enough stars. Gosh, I'm a softy.

Well, as much as I enjoyed the post-(not)-Disneyland scenes, and as much as they're representative of the series as a whole (not to mention, more Hachimitsu), they could have ended the series with the end of the gondola ride, as far as I'm concerned.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Nice ending... But did they just wait 90 minute for a slow ride through a power-point of Sleeping Beauty?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:12 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Episode 12

Not enough stars. Gosh, I'm a softy.

Well, as much as I enjoyed the post-(not)-Disneyland scenes, and as much as they're representative of the series as a whole (not to mention, more Hachimitsu), they could have ended the series with the end of the gondola ride, as far as I'm concerned.

I dunno, Nekozaki getting super hyper about and then feeling let down by "the kiss" was practically the best bit of the episode. And it's automatically +1 star every time Hachimitsu shows up. Everything before that was of course super sweet and a great encapsulation of Izumi and Shikimori's relationship. A fitting capstone for the season.

Spastic Minnow wrote:
Nice ending... But did they just wait 90 minute for a slow ride through a power-point of Sleeping Beauty?

Yes, yes they did. But it also had some sort of aroma going on. Apparently. I guess that makes all the difference? They didn't really go on any proper rides as far as I can tell, but then... Izumi was there, so perhaps that's sensible.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

It could've been a full animatronics extravaganza with 3D special effects and they wouldn't have noticed unless it was too loud for them to hear their hearts dokidoki-ing. After all, they enjoyed waiting in line as much as they did the ride.
tasukete

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There really aren't enough romance anime where the characters get to be this open and honest about their love for each other. ... But by starting the series with the two characters already in a relationship, Shikimori can instead dedicate time to portraying the euphoria of being in love.

Really appreciate this perspective! I wholly agree that there isn't enough of this.

One of the reasons that my wife and I really liked SAO season 1, despite its awful flaws, was because the leads actually got married in the middle of the story. That was a dynamic we'd never seen in anime, and seriously delightful for older fans. I was genuinely sad to hear people lament that this "killed the romantic tension!" -- as if they were too young to recognize any kind of romantic tension other than will they/won't they. Married folks know that the real roller-coaster happens after the wedding!

Of course, the target demographic for anime isn't going to want to see a ton of married or dating protagonists, but there's room for more than we're getting. Fiction does have a role to play in showing what established relationships can be like... especially for folks whose own parents may not be role models in that respect. (Pet peeve: kids need to be explicitly taught that good relationships can have lows and bad relationships can have highs, and to be able to tell the difference regardless. But I digress; that's not really anime's job here.)

I wasn't planning on picking up this series, but now I will. Thanks!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they ended focusing almost exclusively on Shikimori and Izumi on their date and everything that it entailed. It felt like a good way of closing things out and showing just how adorable, cute, and confident these two are together.

Izumi's bad luck even ended up working out because it just made their date more romantic. And that kiss!

I'll miss these two lovebirds and their fun friends. Well, I've still got the manga at least, but thank you to Doga Kobo and the voice cast for really delivering on this adaption.
doomrider7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:48 am Reply with quote
The anime gave the manga huge boost in sales(went from 1.5 in circulation to now 4 million), a number of collab events with cafes and karaoke bars, lots of advertising, and Shikimori winning Best Girl and Shikimori x Izumi Best Ship on AniTrendz. I'd be pretty shocked if we don't get another season. Also, there's gonna be an Art Gallery Event in the Fall so Kodansha is REALLY going in hard on this series.

Shikimori is voted Best Girl of the Season

[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.reddit.com/r/ShikimoriIsntJustCute/comments/vvoj5u/somehow_shikimori_won_1_at_the_anime_trending/[/URL]

Shikimori x Izumi wins Best Ship

[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.reddit.com/r/ShikimoriIsntJustCute/comments/vvtili/we_also_won_the_best_couple_for_spring_2022_anime/[/URL]

Author reacts to the above

[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.reddit.com/r/ShikimoriIsntJustCute/comments/vwov0y/maki_keigo_reacts_to_anime_trending_he_says_wow/[/URL]

Art Gallery Event this Fall

[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.reddit.com/r/ShikimoriIsntJustCute/comments/vu50wa/shikimoris_not_just_cutie_will_hold_the_first/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share[/URL]
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:18 am Reply with quote
I thought it's a bit unfortunate (and brave!) that they decide to air this show in the same season with many strong romcoms, e.g. Aharen-san, LAWD, and Kaguya-sama (particularly the latter). Glad to see it's finishing on a high note.

@doomrider7: Best girl and ship, beating Kaguya/Shirogane?
animefan1238

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I'll ever understand the "mid" classification this show got. It's a sweet rom-com where the main characters *shock* are actually in a relationship and dating. No misunderstandings, hijinks or whatnot. Shikimori is a sweet heart who loves Izumi for what he is bad luck and all. Plus she's a strong female character(although I did enjoy her jealousy). Overall it's a good show to just kick back and enjoy.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:36 am Reply with quote
animefan1238 wrote:
I don't think I'll ever understand the "mid" classification this show got. It's a sweet rom-com where the main characters *shock* are actually in a relationship and dating. No misunderstandings, hijinks or whatnot. Shikimori is a sweet heart who loves Izumi for what he is bad luck and all. Plus she's a strong female character(although I did enjoy her jealousy). Overall it's a good show to just kick back and enjoy.

Ironically, despite not professing understanding I think you hit the nail on the head. There's no conflict to act as a selling point. No "will they/won't they", long term rivals, misunderstandings or external pressures to provide tension. Compare this to some of the other shows this season- Kaguya-Sama absolutely delights in zany tension. LAWD has some external pressures to act as a selling point. In comparison, this becomes almost a rom-com for people tired of rom-coms. Very little is blown out of proportion, characters tend to act in legitimately believable ways (not rational, believable. I'll not accuse emotional teens of excess rationality.) and despite having leads that are impossibly unlucky/badass...it comes off as very real.

Now, I love this. Its one of my 3 favorite romcom anime. But I have lower patience for the more exagerrated stylings of most of the genre. And I suspect that perspective is the general disconnect.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:27 pm Reply with quote
@b-dragon

I think of it as a slice of life rom-com. In real life very few teenage romances have outside conflicts and other people trying to interfere with them. Most self destruct from inner problems or die when one or both leave home after graduation.

In reality, high school romance is like training wheels on a bicycle.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:45 pm Reply with quote
animefan1238 wrote:

Man, you took the words out of my mouth.

Edgy teens on Twitter are just complaining "it's too wholesome"....so I guess they prefer romcoms where the characters are always punching each other in the face or something. Confused ...or overstepping their boundaries....or getting stalked by psychos who just want to inhale the scent of their underwear....goodness knows, we sure need more of that "quality" romcom writing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4