• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Official Mob Psycho Twitter Account Says It's 'Really Sad' After Opening Leaked Online Aft

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pandsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Which is why I used the analogy that I did.
A teacher probably should just assume and accept that secrets he tells his students won't remain secrets which is why 99% of people in a situation like that probably wouldn't share anything not widely released with any group like that.

And I said the same thing as you earlier; it was inevitable that it would happen in these modern, 24/7 connected times. And I also said that I don't think this is all that bad (besides the lack of respect and also technically the copyright infringement), didn't really take anything away from the convention or convention goers and is instead just a nice little treat for those unable to attend themselves (and attendees who would like to revisit it later, honestly).

BUT it is still safe to say that companies would possibly be less reluctant to share real insider stuff, the really juicy shit, with a limited amount of people at events like that if they could trust that nobody's gonna leak it.
I know that's not likely, I agree with you there, and they should just assume that it will leak, but as a whole there are probably certain privileges specific parts of the fanbase would have had if people could be trusted.

Same even goes for preview game demos and such, which will always be datamined and lead to leaks and even spoilers the developers don't want out there.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:13 am Reply with quote
The Japanese staff think they can just ask and people will comply. Yeah, not how this world works.
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:46 am Reply with quote
I used to let my dog run around off lead in a fenced baseball field. My dog hates other dogs, and has no recall, so it was great to have a big space where he could run around safely. There were three large fully fenced fields with tall fencing. The rules were simple (and posted on signs around the field): pick up your dog's shit, and don't let your dog dig up the grass. There was also an unwritten rule that most people abided by: don't enter the field if someone else is inside with their dog. Of course, some people didn't give a damn about the rules. Selfish jerks who decide to just let their dog run around in the baseball field without keeping a close eye on them. The baseball clubs that used the fields would complain about shit all over the field, or holes in the grass causing tripping hazards. The nail in the coffin was when selfish jerks decided that they get to use the field whenever they please, regardless of who was already there. This resulted in dog fights. The council had enough of the dog shit, the cost of repairing holes in the lawn, and the headache of dealing with dog attacks. The council put locks on all the entrances to the baseball fields, and added a new rule to their signs: no dogs off lead.

The council ended up building a fenced dog park nearby (several months after locking the baseball fields), but the fencing was much lower, and completely unsuitable for my dog. I'm sure there are many other people with dogs like mine who are greatly saddened that we can no longer use the baseball fields. Leaks (selfish rule-breakers) absolutely ruin things for fans in the long run. Saying otherwise is just incredibly selfish and short sighted. There are many, many examples of situations where the selfish actions of a few have ruined things for others. It wasn't too long ago that anime companies put a temporary stop to simulcasts due to leaks.

I went to a local convention where one of the special features was the world premiere of a series that had yet to air in Japan (it's been a few years, I don't remember which show, it may have been Sword Art Online Alicization). The staff told everyone not to record/leak what they were about to show. My understanding was that the episode was due to air in a few hours time in Japan. Everyone in the room was super excited to see the episode, and the vibe was just awesome. It's hard to describe, but man, there's just something special about sharing that moment with like-minded fans, as opposed to just watching alone at home on my computer.

Leaks just increase the chances that moments like that won't happen again. I would be very disappointed if anime companies decided not to do anymore special screenings because of selfish short sighted jerks who only care about themselves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sekaro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:46 am Reply with quote
Wow here I thought the video on YT that claims to be the new OP was just some fan made thing so I didn't even click on it. Considering it has about 40k views, I'm certain it's the same one that's being told here.
catone2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:47 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Japanese creators and companies are too optimistic and trusting at conventions. It's a guarantee there'll be at least one person recording a panel and uploading it to YouTube later. It's been happening since smartphones came out despite rules saying no recording panels is allowed.. Maybe it's time to start confiscating cellphones at the door.

It's an honor system thing. If you're asked over there to not take photos, you generally won't see any, especially on social media. If you see a no photo sign, people won't try to bypass it. Of course, there can be leaks but it's much harder to do since people just won't.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:49 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
The Japanese staff think they can just ask and people will comply. Yeah, not how this world works.

Then they'll likely just show less and less good stuff like this beforehand, I'd say.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Here's my impression of the defenses for the leakers:

I don't know why [my parents] are complaining about [my having opened all the Christmas presents early]. They put them right there [under the tree], and it's awfully naive to think [I won't open them before Christmas morning]. This way everyone knows [what was in the boxes] instead of just [my older brother who helped with the shopping]. That disparity of knowledge was simply an unfair situation. It's the Information Age; surprises are a thing of the past. Are we supposed to just wait until [December 25th]? I don't think so.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
xxmsxx wrote:

Then they'll likely just show less and less good stuff like this beforehand, I'd say.

Which is probably a good thing. They have a rabid fascination with exclusivity and seasonality already. Public official announcements and debuts for everyone at once are much better let's show this to this exclusive group of people first. Not everyone can go to a con or Japan. If you want hype that eventually lead to a higher viewership and a bigger pool of people to monetize, tell more people not less.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:08 am Reply with quote
roxybudgy wrote:

I used to let my dog run around off lead in a fenced baseball field. My dog hates other dogs, and has no recall, so it was great to have a big space where he could run around safely. There were three large fully fenced fields with tall fencing. The rules were simple (and posted on signs around the field): pick up your dog's shit, and don't let your dog dig up the grass.

I wouldn't wanna play on any baseball field where they let dogs shit even if people have to pick it up - since it'll still leave some poop stains Laughing
Lily70

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:
PipimiOden wrote:
Albion Hero wrote:
Whats exactly sad about this? More people get to see the opening and get hyped for the show, thats a good thing. I don't really care about their contracts or whatever that might say about it only allowed at the convention.

a leak's a leak. they specifically told people not to record and upload the op and now there likely won't be many international events like this after the crunchyroll expo because people didn't listen.

Its true a leak is a leak, but my question is why does it matter? I don't see any reason to care about this other then contracts and stuff for the companies involved, which doesn't impact the fans. Leaks are purely beneficial for fans, its like complaining when E3 video game stuff gets leaked. Oh no, a commercial gets leaked before the companies want it to be! Its just part of the culture, its just going to happen.

Just because it's purely beneficial for you "the fan" it's okay to do something like this? Even if you don't understand where they are coming from that is still their wishes and to have you comply with them is simply a sign of courtesy and professional respect.

Example. There are plenty of guest of Honor's at Anime Expo who does not do autograph signing. Maybe because the guest don't want to or maybe the company don't want to? Still. Emd point us that they don't have an autograph session. why don't we argue with them that it's beneficial for the fans and they need to do their job to make the fans happy so they are need to be forced to do autograph? And why have a limit on autographs the more autographs you sign won't the happier more fans be? Exactly. Just because they don't want to is their own wishes and respect even though that may be disappointing to fans.

Same thing that guests that's not want to have their pictures or the video taped. Even though it's part of their daily job in the entertainment industry. Of course as a fan I am disappointed I don't get an autograph or get to take pictures or whatever of them. But is it that is their wish I will respect it even if I have disappointed.

Why is that so hard for some other people to understand? Please respect other people's wishes even though you don't understand them and not just think of how it would benefit yourself as "the fan".
Lily70

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:55 pm Reply with quote
icomeanon6 wrote:
Here's my impression of the defenses for the leakers:

I don't know why [my parents] are complaining about [my having opened all the Christmas presents early]. They put them right there [under the tree], and it's awfully naive to think [I won't open them before Christmas morning]. This way everyone knows [what was in the boxes] instead of just [my older brother who helped with the shopping]. That disparity of knowledge was simply an unfair situation. It's the Information Age; surprises are a thing of the past. Are we supposed to just wait until [December 25th]? I don't think so.

Unfair situation? Seriously? Your parents asked you not to do something and you still did it anyway, of course they would complain.

At the mob psycho streaming as well as plenty of other panels oh, they announced at the very beginning there is no video or recording allowed in the panel. And some of these speakers absolutely ignored it. So you knew way ahead of time what they are respectfully asking you not to do and you defied it. Is that not disrespect ?

A lot of people here don't understand the culture differences between America and Japan. Even though these things happen plenty in Japan it is very frowned upon when it happens! I have went to stage plays in Japan that have a morning and evening run of the same show. I have heard during my interactions with the fans at the morning show that they don't post anything on social media at all about the morning show until at least that evening show is done or else they ruin it (spoilers) for the audience who is going to see the evening show. I was really surprised because that is a very high level of respect that I truly did not understand at that time either.

There was a restaurant in Tokyo that asked me to leave my cell phone with them at the door before I entered. That was the rule or I will not be allowed to enter. Why can't I throw a fit saying that they are ruining my mood as a fan there or posting pictures and messages on social media will only give them more publicity and reviews? Not to mention I'll have my own pictures on my cell phone as memories. Well that's too bad for me because that is the wish of the restaurant staff. And either I comply with them or I leave. So i left my phone with them.

Sorry for the rant .... but at the end of the day just because you don't understand the wishes of somebody else even though it's purely beneficial for you as "the fan", just say "well that's disappointing. That's too bad. Oh well" and move on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2