• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragon Quest: Adventure of Dai Anime to Have 100 Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
I suspected that it was going to be 100 episodes based on the pace the manga was being adapted. Hopefully Crunchyroll dubs and releases it on BD.

MarshalBanana wrote:
So is anything important being cut, or are they trimming off some of the fat?

The manga has a bunch of panty shots and even boob shots, and the anime cut all of that and most of the pervy subtext present in the manga. I understand making this new adaptation more family friendly, but I wished they hadn't cut all the ecchi content.

it's airing in TV Tokyo so probably had a hand for that but in the end it doesn't ruin the experience that much anyways.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:42 pm Reply with quote
That's a good run. I'm glad it's getting a proper ending soon though, while I've enjoyed it there were times when it seemed to be dragging its feet.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Todd_Harry08 wrote:
it's airing in TV Tokyo so probably had a hand for that but in the end it doesn't ruin the experience that much anyways.

Plus it's a daytime anime (Saturday mornings in their time zone), not a late night one where ecchi is shown more often.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:53 am Reply with quote
Glad an "oldie" like this gets the remake treatment and fully adapted. So glad!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:58 am Reply with quote
JulieYBM wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:
I suspected that it was going to be 100 episodes based on the pace the manga was being adapted. Hopefully Crunchyroll dubs and releases it on BD.

MarshalBanana wrote:
So is anything important being cut, or are they trimming off some of the fat?

The manga has a bunch of panty shots and even boob shots, and the anime cut all of that and most of the pervy subtext present in the manga. I understand making this new adaptation more family friendly, but I wished they hadn't cut all the ecchi content.

I love ecchi as much as the next bisexual woman but Dai is being made for kids, they shouldn't be including that stuff in a show for kids.

Well, what Japan would deem as a show for kids could be PG-13 or higher in the U.S. Now, if you mean a franchise that is more kid-friendly like the Pokémon franchise, I agree.
ikari22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Is this like a remake of the Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibōken from the 90's?

I used to videotape that show back then because I loved it so much, and never got to see the end of it. Would love to get a chance to see this one if it faithful to the source material.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:04 am Reply with quote
ikari22 wrote:
Is this like a remake of the Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibōken from the 90's?

I used to videotape that show back then because I loved it so much, and never got to see the end of it. Would love to get a chance to see this one if it faithful to the source material.

Yes. The original was cut short before it had a chance to fully cover the manga but this rights that wrong and also gives it a bit of a visual overhaul to resemble recent DQ games more.
Mimas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:03 pm Reply with quote
-Matthew- wrote:

Can you please write what are these chapters? I want to read about it. Thanks!

Chapters 238, 240, 265, 267, and 274 had the pieces of the subplot with Chiu. Jump+ (JP) has the chapters if you have a way of paying for it. You can also read about some of the changes on Twitter.

MarshalBanana wrote:

I'm guessing the original adaptation didn't remove the ecchi, as that was around the same time as Dragon Ball, and I can see Adventure of Dai having similar ecchi humour to that

The original adaption even added ecchi where there wasn't any in the manga. Strangely that level of ecchi humor is now mostly found in manga magazines aimed at younger children than Jump, like Saikyo Jump.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2