• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hideo Shinkai's Earthchild Manga Ends in Shonen Jump

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:13 am Reply with quote
Finally.
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:54 am Reply with quote
OK. I don't get it. MHA started out pretty slowly and yet it wasn't cancelled. So why is it that series didn't get axed yet Earth Child and other recent manga keeping getting prematurely cancelled? Are readers just impatient children and drop any new manga that doesn't hurry up or are the jump editors jumping the gun too much and not giving these new series a chance?
Jinbei

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
OK. I don't get it. MHA started out pretty slowly and yet it wasn't cancelled. So why is it that series didn't get axed yet Earth Child and other recent manga keeping getting prematurely cancelled? Are readers just impatient children and drop any new manga that doesn't hurry up or are the jump editors jumping the gun too much and not giving these new series a chance?

I've come to understand that volume sales matter a lot and I believe Jump still uses the ages old system of voting with the "ticket" included in each number of Jump and the series' that are on the bottom of popularity rankings for weeks at a time, have a very realistic chance of getting axed. I'd also like to think that the top editors judge a potential of a series as it goes and Earthchild among others just didn't seem to have what it took to succeed in Jump. To be honest, I gave up after 12 or so chapters as well...

I've been afraid that Akanebanashi and it's rakugo theme are also way too out-there as a theme for most Jump but it actually came in third in the Tsugi ni kuru Manga Taisho's print category AND Hideaki Anno gushed about it In Twitter. I truly hope it lasts...
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:53 am Reply with quote
Is this worth reading?
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Jinbei wrote:
I've been afraid that Akanebanashi and it's rakugo theme are also way too out-there as a theme for most Jump but it actually came in third in the Tsugi ni kuru Manga Taisho's print category AND Hideaki Anno gushed about it In Twitter. I truly hope it lasts...

Akane-banashi has been selling amazingly and has been high in TOC since it started ranking, it should be fine for a while. I'd say PPPPPP is more out there with the unconventional artstyle and themes but it's only been doing better and better as time goes on.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:06 pm Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:
Started slowly doesn't equal axe as long there is two things: good volume sales and good placement in the TOC rankings (or you not a gag manga like Isobe Isobee or Tomatoypoo no Lycopene) - and Eartchild, like all the recent axes (Ayashimon, Shugomaru, Doron) had LITERALLY NONE of it.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:09 pm Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:

That how WSJ have always work. Unpopular series got cancelled to make room for potential new hit. It just that we are now can se the process thank to Mangaplus. Also 8 to 10 chapters is equal 1 volume, 15 above is equal 2 volumes and no one gonna bother to pick up the 2nd or 3rd volume if they find the first one suck, that why series need something to hook the readers from early on. MHA was slow at the beginning but engaging. The manga that got axed literally didn't engage the readers enough for the readers to spare a vote for them or people buying them.

Also Earthchild just suck. Literally the worst new manga in recent years.
UBWT

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:09 pm Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:

With the biggest Weekly Shounen Jump hits becoming billion dollar franchises, it is quite rational for the editors to axe titles that are doing poorly in readership, reception, and sales and they feel are unlikely to turn it around. The editors likely believe they will end up with stronger performing titles if they use the magazine space to try out 10 new titles over having the last 10 titles axed in this chapter range run for twice as long, even if one of those axed series might have improved their position and become a modest hit.

Last edited by UBWT on Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:11 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Akane-banashi has been selling amazingly and has been high in TOC since it started ranking, it should be fine for a while. I'd say PPPPPP is more out there with the unconventional artstyle and themes but it's only been doing better and better as time goes on.
Nah, PPPPPP is also doing pretty OK in terms of rankings and sales, and it will most likely survive to get it's own anime series with Akanebanashi, Witch Watch and Elusive Samurai - and next on the axe list are Super Smartphone and Aliens Area.
Touma55

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:13 pm Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:

This series sold poorly and also did bad in the rankings so it got canceled. MHA ranked well and sold well so it survived. And if you think series are being canceled quick now oh boy you would have thought it was crazy back in the day where many series didn't make it to chapter 20.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I was actually thinking about reading this as well but not anymore.

Honestly, the beginning is the most important part of a manga. MHA has a great beginning and even though the series has mostly gotten worse, it's still going to do well because the beginning has caused so many people to be invested in the story.

It's NO 1 reason why you need to nail that beginning. Shame Earthchild didn't succeed in that aspect
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:

Honestly, the beginning is the most important part of a manga. MHA has a great beginning and even though the series has mostly gotten worse, it's still going to do well because the beginning has caused so many people to be invested in the story.

It's NO 1 reason why you need to nail that beginning. Shame Earthchild didn't succeed in that aspect

Earthchild did have an excellent first chapter, one of the strongest recently. The chapters that followed didn't live up to it though, and things got pretty dumb.

The first chapter is basically a one shot, so you can read it without the rest.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:23 pm Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:

Comparing MHA to Earthchild isn't particularly helpful in this case. MHA "started slow" in that it didn't immediately throw itself into big action scenes, but it absolutely gave you a good idea of where the series was going, what the immediate stakes were, and getting you invested in the main character's goal.

Earthchild, after a first chapter that read closer to a one-shot than a series debut, didn't offer any of that. It sputtered around for weeks before introducing the plot to spoiler[save Kareri], then spent further weeks introducing extraneous characters and backtracking as if it was being written with 0 idea of where to go from there. And by the time it found a coherent conflict, it was already selling poorly enough that there was no chance of it finding an audience after all that misspent time.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:36 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
Soulwarfare wrote:

Earthchild did have an excellent first chapter, one of the strongest recently. The chapters that followed didn't live up to it though, and things got pretty dumb.

The first chapter is basically a one shot, so you can read it without the rest.

Heck no. I don't get what people see in the first chapter. Like it have way too much text, too many rush things thus making the emotional moments feel extremely force. Even the proposal fell like the MC is forcing the heroine to marry him or he will kill himself.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:48 pm Reply with quote
To put some numbers to the MHA comparison, the first volume of MHA sold 71,575 copies in its first week, one of the most successful first volumes I've ever seen. Jujutsu Kaisen debuted with 28,581 copies; Chainsaw Man with 25,518 copies; The Promised Neverland did 24,380 copies. Demon Slayer didn't have nearly as strong a start as them -- its first volume doesn't seem to have made the Oricon charts -- but volume 2 still debuted with 16,323 copies and volume 3 with 25,967 copies.

Earthchild? Not only did neither of the first two volumes make Oricon, the Shoseki estimations I saw for them were both under 3,000 copies for their first week. It was a straight-up flop.

Last edited by Shay Guy on Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2