• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: BLUELOCK

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I thought this episode was particularly good. I really felt for Naruhaya. In my heart of hearts, I was hoping Isagi and Nagi would pick him over Barou—like Barou’s last match (because he’s such an a-hole)—even though I knew they wouldn’t.

I was also delighted to see Chigiri and Kunigami team up with Reo. And that Additional Time bit with the toothbrush was a hoot!
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Man, Isage is so savage that I expect him to turn into a Titan next episode. The moral he has is insane.
Kirki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:04 am Reply with quote
One of my most favorite things in this series is its portrayal of friendship which says a firm no to co-dependence and stresses out how it is important to walk next to the person you like as an equal and still remain honest and true to your goals and desires. Leo does not intend to become the best alongside Nagi. He's dumping everything on Nagi and takes for granted that Nagi will do the heavy lifting for both of them while Leo just supports him. Leo has not overgrown his rich boy mentality yet of having people offer him what he wants - that and he admires Nagi a bit too much to even imagine himself as being able to get to Nagi's level. So he is the one being dishonest about their promise as he does not intend to grow personally, and Nagi just understood that so now he officially dumps him.

All of this has excellent parallels with Bachira and Isagi's relationship but since Bachira is a whole different beast, the conclusion should be much more hopeful than this. And I can't wait to see it.

(Why can't all my boys just get along? Sad Isagi and Barou are already in much better ground than before since they told each other off. Brutal honesty is key sometimes.)
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:10 am Reply with quote
The more player the team gets, the more monologues we have
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:02 am Reply with quote
Agree with the sudden Bachira treatment. Isagi already savaged a guy with an innocent backstory cos he needed a better player and now he is basically ignoring Bachira. It's like Seto Kaiba but as the protagonist rather than the villain.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I still haven't catchup, but there is something I don't get:

Why everybody acts like their soccer carrier its in the line?

We are told numerous times the ones who leave get banned from the JP National Team... OK...

What about normal teams?
What about international teams?

I mean, yeah, if you are not part of the national team you lose a descent amount of money and exposition, but the big majority of players never play on the national team.

They can still play in normal national teams and if they are good enough they can go to play in international ones.

You think that the Real Madrid it's gonna care if you lost a random "It" game when you were 15 in Japan?

"Oh yeah, you defeated our A team defense and scored 5 goals, but you couldn't defeat an hologram 10 years ago, sorry, next!"

Yet, we are told again and again that your hopes and dreams are over if you lose, I don't get it.
Kirki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I still haven't catchup, but there is something I don't get:

Why everybody acts like their soccer carrier its in the line?

We are told numerous times the ones who leave get banned from the JP National Team... OK...

What about normal teams?
What about international teams?

I mean, yeah, if you are not part of the national team you lose a descent amount of money and exposition, but the big majority of players never play on the national team.

They can still play in normal national teams and if they are good enough they can go to play in international ones.

You think that the Real Madrid it's gonna care if you lost a random "It" game when you were 15 in Japan?

"Oh yeah, you defeated our A team defense and scored 5 goals, but you couldn't defeat an hologram 10 years ago, sorry, next!"

Yet, we are told again and again that your hopes and dreams are over if you lose, I don't get it.

Because spoiler[they are impressionable 16 year old kids who have bought everything Ego Jinpachi has told them, hook, line and sinker. The entire Blue Lock Project is a huge psychological trick/ experiment. Bait them with the dream of winning the World Cup that can only happen through the national team, lock them away from society and have them constantly compete with each other under extreme psychological conditions and heavy stakes. If anybody stopped to think for 5 seconds only, they would realize Ego could maybe guarantee them getting into the national team, but he could not possibly have the power to exclude them from anything. But he doesn't give them the time to even form such thoughts.]
SenseiAgot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:52 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
To me, Blue Lock is written by someone who doesn't understand football. "Why they don't score MORE goals?", "Why do they bother with "defenders" or "goalkeepers"? All I want is MY PLAYER scoring goals!"

Maybe the author should have look at how many World Cups Neymar, Cristiano Ronaldo or Messi have won -zero so far- before using them as the epitome of football "egoism".
Also, it's ironic they use defeat of Japan in WC2018 to justify why they need egotism. They lost because they kept attacking "egotistically" instead of bid their time and wait for the penalty shootout.

Visually impressive, ideologically wrong.

Oh boy, this got OLD after the World Cup
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:03 am Reply with quote
SenseiAgot wrote:
kgw wrote:
To me, Blue Lock is written by someone who doesn't understand football. "Why they don't score MORE goals?", "Why do they bother with "defenders" or "goalkeepers"? All I want is MY PLAYER scoring goals!"

Maybe the author should have look at how many World Cups Neymar, Cristiano Ronaldo or Messi have won -zero so far- before using them as the epitome of football "egoism".
Also, it's ironic they use defeat of Japan in WC2018 to justify why they need egotism. They lost because they kept attacking "egotistically" instead of bid their time and wait for the penalty shootout.

Visually impressive, ideologically wrong.

Oh boy, this got OLD after the World Cup

Nah, the series itself makes this point that neither of them won a WC, so, it got old after the series itself said it.
Kaoru G

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Interesting show!!
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:22 am Reply with quote
Isagi's team suddenly losing in the first minutes despite the focus of his encounter against Bachira caught me by surprise. Still, I kinda wonder where is this current match going. Feels kinda random after seeing so many Isagi's rivals being Japanese. Almost feels like Captain Tsubasa where they put Westerns out of nowhere to compete with the main cast.
Kirki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:49 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Isagi's team suddenly losing in the first minutes despite the focus of his encounter against Bachira caught me by surprise. Still, I kinda wonder where is this current match going. Feels kinda random after seeing so many Isagi's rivals being Japanese. Almost feels like Captain Tsubasa where they put Westerns out of nowhere to compete with the main cast.

Oh trust me they have a point, but it will come up much later in the story. For now treat it like a little special to close the season with.
Dernu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:56 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

I was surprised by the defeat personally, I did not see it coming. But then, we know what happens in LoL: the hero always wins Laughing
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:44 am Reply with quote
I liked the finale except for that part where isagi starts feeling bad about Kunigami. He spent the entire series trashing everybody he defeated in a match... almost hypocrite.
akamarulover

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I was really surprised about the loss of Kunigami too. However I did note that there was one player who did not join them because of an injury. My theory is he will be forced to drop out and there will be one open spot for any failed character to take. (Giving Kunigami a shot at coming back in)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4