• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Power Rangers Actor Jason David Frank Passes Away at 49

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:54 am Reply with quote
Oh....wow Shocked Anime cry
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:05 am Reply with quote
So tragic news! I still can't believe that he did i! It is awful! He was always so energetic, positive and powerful!!
vgiannell5 wrote:
I'm assuming his death happened after Cosmic Fury was filmed?

How is it connected with his death?
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:36 am Reply with quote
I thought this was a joke at first. I wish it was. Just 1 week after Kevin Conroy passed away, I see this headline. Power rangers was another part of my ny childhood. It even made take up martial arts for a time.

Jason was a great fighter and a humble guy. I always got excited whenever I saw him on screen.
When you think PR you think JDF.
RIP Jason.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:33 am Reply with quote
dsfjr1190 wrote:

JDF always seemed like a passionate guy who genuinely appreciated the property/fandom. Whereas other former rangers seemed embarrassed at having been a power ranger, he embraced it. He never seemed embarrassed or ashamed to be associated with Power Rangers at all.

Pretty much this. He seemed to love dealing with fans and doing events. I always really appreciated that he did a stint as a Mixed Martial Artist. It was almost like showing fans that you could achieve a glimmer of the fantasy you see on-screen through hard work and determination. I think a lot of people saw him as a role model, which makes his cause of death so much worse. Sad

Rest in Peace
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:17 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
vgiannell5 wrote:

They're currently in New Zealand now and found out the news yesterday.

Also, JDF had infamously attended a con just a couple of months ago saying that he was done with Power Rangers, while also telling the attendees of his own panel, who were there because he was Tommy, that it's finally time for him to "grow up" & move on to something new & more mature; the indication was that he was starting production on a Power Rangers-esque thing that'd be more adult-oriented. JDF was never confirmed as having anything to do with Cosmic Fury's anniversary production, either.

Jason David Frank's passing is definitely a shocker, especially if the word about how he passed is true. While his recent departure from what made him a celebrity was awkward, and it's obvious that JDF was feeling stifled by it by that point, there's no doubt that he will be remembered fondly as Tommy Oliver. For an entire generation of people, namely the one that I'm in, he will go down as one of the most iconic action stars of the 90s, at least for TV.

RIP
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:38 pm Reply with quote
vgiannell5 wrote:

No, I don't know if filming has even begun. But uts unrelated, he wasn't going to be in it, and he'd announced a few months ago his "farewell" to the franchise, saying he was done with Power Rangers, and he wasn't shown to be involved with the anniversary special, either.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Saddens me to know how he passed away. If you're feeling the same way as he did, please, seek help.
Vladimir Morales

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Rest in peace, Jason. You're in the company of angels now.
oilers2007

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:44 pm Reply with quote
RIP to a legend. Sad to see it happen Sad
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:44 am Reply with quote
Tommy was a big part of my childhood as my favorite Power Ranger growing up and he was also my first fictional crush I remember having before I even knew what being gay was or about my sexuality. I always enjoyed Jason David Frank's performance on the show over the years and I'm glad he was able to come back for various special events and story arcs and he also got a cameo in the 2017 reboot which I enjoyed that movie a lot. His passing is tragic and my heart goes out to his family and loved ones and RIP.
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:11 am Reply with quote
Like a lot of people here, I was a 90s kid and Power Rangers was absolutely my jam. Loved the whole team but Tommy was of course the break-out since he got the coolest suit, the coolest Zord, and everyone loved that tornado kick move. Even though he said earlier this year that he was retiring from the role, I think a lot of fans were really holding out hope that he would have shown up in the 30th anniversary project that they seem to be doing alongside Cosmic Fury.

The reactions from Jason's castmates are heartbreaking, and there was even a condolence message from Shiro Izumi, who played Tommy's Zyuranger counterpart Burai, which is noteworthy as he's been retired from acting for quite a while now.

Among Kamen Rider fans, we've adopted the nickname "Rider Bros" to refer to actors who reprise their characters years or even decades later, out of love for a show that meant so much to them. Well, Jason was the ultimate Ranger Bro, and he always will be. Thanks for all the wonderful memories, and I hope you've found the peace you deserve.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:32 pm Reply with quote
It's been a long time since i stop Power Rangers but Mighty Morphy , Zeo and Turbo were my favorites seasons out of all of those i watched and it was only because of his existence, he was just the best ... You will be missed by many people.
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:30 pm Reply with quote
vgiannell5 wrote:

No, actually. They just sat down for the last read-through today. EP Simon Bennett said the other day that learning of JDF's death made for a sad day on set. None of the rangers had ever worked with him, they'd maybe met him once if that, but they're all still part of that legacy. And, you know, there are people on that crew who have worked on the show for years and years and worked with him on DinoThunder or his two later appearances on the show. The first episode of PR that Bennett directed was Dimensions in Danger.

But yeah, it's been a rough couple of days for all of us in the fandom, whatever we may have thought or said about the way he conducted himself. Fact is, he loved the show and he loved the fans. He may have had a strong personality but he was also unforgettable and inimitable.

When he came on the show, he thought his character had an expiration date. He made so much of his chance that they were about to give him a spinoff, the show that became VR Troopers. But kids and parents were so miffed by his departure, Saban had him come back *twice* and Brad Hawkins, who was going to be the White Ranger, was kicked next door to VR Troopers. The rest was history.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2