• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Art Commission Platform Skeb Bans AI Art

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onpufan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:16 pm Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
AI art is not a tool for artists, its a tool for the elon musks, the jeff bezos and the people who want to bypass the process of paying an artist, and ultimately replace artists. It will not only replace illustration, but it can replace pixel art, abstract, photography, graphic design, stock art, motion graphics, 3d modelling, screenwriting, novel writing, poetry, lyric writing, music composition, game design, animation, video, voice acting and more. There's nothing stopping AI from copying any art you create to be challenging, under the illusion your challenging conceptual art can't be replicated by a computer. If you decide to make "AI-enhanced" video games, say a VR world with AI dialogue, the AI will in 10,20,30 years be able to automate the whole process of making that VR world, every single creative genre can be automated. The only reason, if in twenty years AI hasn't replaced all these artistic endeavers will be if artists and storytellers collectively reject the concept the AI art is a tool, the public recognises AI media needs to be stopped, and people collectively work to destroy AI media including art in its entirety.

You're making way too big a deal out of this. AI is just a fun tool that can help in certain areas. Most photoshop programs already use it for thinks like auto-correction, line smoothening, auto-crop, chroma-keying, and other stuff us artists use all the time. Let alone video games where all of them have AI in them since the dawn of time for adaptive gameplay..
I've seen some cool AI art pieces. Nothing wrong with it as itself. If it lets more people create and enjoy works then all the better.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:17 am Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:

By the way, before using those kinds of techniques for creating backgrounds (I'm not sure why that would be more ok than character portraits?), you should also be aware that currently, AI-generated images are not protected under copyright law. Anybody who wants to can use any image you generate from a neural network for anything they want, which is another reason why this stuff is poison for any real professionals.

That would depend of the country you are talking about, especially those from the Anglosphere. Some other countries, such like mine, Mexico, had different rules about copyrights, especially anything involving computers, and I doubt the U.S. would force his way on this without being accused of hypocrisy, considering the Americans' own developments on AI technologies.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:52 am Reply with quote
onpufan wrote:

You're making way too big a deal out of this. AI is just a fun tool that can help in certain areas. Most photoshop programs already use it for thinks like auto-correction, line smoothening, auto-crop, chroma-keying, and other stuff us artists use all the time. Let alone video games where all of them have AI in them since the dawn of time for adaptive gameplay..
I've seen some cool AI art pieces. Nothing wrong with it as itself. If it lets more people create and enjoy works then all the better.

I've seen AI art, and most of it is at "10 years of devoted practice" level of drawing ability. People shouldn't have the ability to be able to type in words and spit out something which would take devoted practice for ten years. I didn't consent to this. I will literally never be able to post artwork online because AI datascrapers will exploit my art for their algorithms so losers can skinwalk as talented.This isn't quirky technology. It's dystopian. Not even the developers understand the algorithms, they might understand the algorithm they use to create the AI, but they don't understand the algorithm created after training the AI, but then people use the AI "black box" to exploit people, insisting that the AI isn't "photobashing", we literally don't understand what technique the AI uses to generate the pictures at the skill level it does, but however it does it, is likely far more similar to photobashing than it is to drawing a picture from scratch. And then heels sit around defending these horrible technologies as the march of progress. Every awful technology can be defended as the march of progress, but human cloning isn't allowed. Why should AI art be allowed? It shouldn't. It's exploitive and will end human desire to create if normalised.

Quote:
AI is just a fun tool that can help in certain areas. Most photoshop programs already use it for thinks like auto-correction, line smoothening, auto-crop, chroma-keying, and other stuff us artists use all the time. Let alone video games where all of them have AI in them since the dawn of time for adaptive gameplay..

People being okay using AI technology to generate line smoothening algorithms or difficulty adaption algorithms does not mean people should be okay to use AI technology to "type in video game idea and click enter to create a whole video game", but this will be possible using AI. It's like saying if you're okay with gay marriage you should be okay with dakimakura marriange. It's ridiculous..
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:29 am Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
I've seen AI art, and most of it is at "10 years of devoted practice" level of drawing ability. People shouldn't have the ability to be able to type in words and spit out something which would take devoted practice for ten years.

Why shouldn't they? There's no rational reason to ban a tool like that.

Quote:
This isn't quirky technology. It's dystopian.

It's just technology.

Quote:
Every awful technology can be defended as the march of progress, but human cloning isn't allowed.

That's an apples to oranges comparison. You aren't allowed to create dangerous viruses either or unleash them even if a few labs worldwide are capable of it.

Quote:
Why should AI art be allowed? It shouldn't. It's exploitive and will end human desire to create if normalised.

Of course it should be allowed. And thankfully it's not up to you to decide that. There were many people who opposed John Kay and James Hargreaves when they came up with the flying shuttle and spinning jenny respectively, but today there's still a fashion industry. Human creativity never went away, the tools just got upgraded.

Quote:
People being okay using AI technology to generate line smoothening algorithms or difficulty adaption algorithms does not mean people should be okay to use AI technology to "type in video game idea and click enter to create a whole video game", but this will be possible using AI.

Yes? I'm okay with it. Tell me one single rational reason why it shouldn't be okay...

Quote:
It's like saying if you're okay with gay marriage you should be okay with dakimakura marriange. It's ridiculous..

Why not? If someone wants to have a marriage, albeit unrecognized, with their pillow, who are we to say it's wrong? There's already a precedent for that(Lee Jin-gyu). And don't bring in gay marriage in a totally unrelated topic.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Even if the training data is ethically obtained (which it is not), it makes perfect sense for Skeb specifically to ban AI art. It's a site that exist to request commissions of specific artists' works. It just doesn't align with the purpose of the website.

Regardless of whether you are okay with AI art or not, we should all be able to agree it'd still be a scam if you thought you were buying a custom painting and you got an AI art generation instead, which seems to be the main point of their announcement.

If, for some reason, you want to pay someone to type in prompts for you, there are other sites where those services are available
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:44 am Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
If, for some reason, you want to pay someone to type in prompts for you, there are other sites where those services are available

Some of them keep their prompts a secret. That's kind of the stickler. If someone knows just the right prompts to input to deliver a *chefs kiss* image then maybe they'd keep them a secret and not share them then not much we can do other than guess and try to make our own image.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2