• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bleach DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good review. I do think that Michelle Ruff's Rukia does have a sweeter voice in her schoolgirl form than in her shinigami form, though it IS less recognizable. Though I do agree that Rukia's Japanese VA does pull it off relatively better.

britannicamoore wrote:
But...I disliked Renji who i heard for the frist time Saturday. I missed his bantering with ichigo so I don't know how they sound together...as of now i'm leaning towards the japanese version.

we'll see.

Yeah, Renji's voice will take quite a while to get used to. I got used to Kon's voice faster than I thought I would, so overall I am relatively happy with the dub voices.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Whearn9999 wrote:
However, did you not notice in the scene of Rukia's first day at class? After taking Ichigo by surprise, she spoke the phrases including the words, "jeepers" and "you big brute" in a slightly elevated and playfull tone. It made me laugh pretty hard! Very Happy

Yeah. Just imagine that, only 10 times more over-the-top, and you get Japanese Rukia's "schoolgirl" voice.

The Bleach dub is great, but the review is right, that scene totally lost all of its comedy.
Canuckian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Hehe I liked the Calendar that came with mine, I hope the Second Volume will have some of the goodies along with some Booklets.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:36 am Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:

Quote:
The most annoying thing about this release is that all of the scriptwriters, animation directors, etc. are listed at the end of each episode! I don't mind if the ending credits are not translated. It's really nice when an alternate angle is used to display both English and Japanese credits as Funimation does. It's nice when the individual credits are untranslated, and a complete list of translated credits are used at the end of the DVD like some Geneon and Bandai titles. I love how ADV did Macross with the untranslated credits followed by the translated credits for each episode. What Viz did here is the only translation technique that really annoys me since I can't tell who worked on which episode! Why did they do this?

Why does that annoy you? The credits were there to let you know who did what. It was on TV anyways, so having them at the end of the DVD would be a disservice to the production staff in the first place, since they derserve credit for their work.

How could it not annoy me? I'm a huge fan of individual staff members, that' is exactly why this is so painful. I hate it when an episode has four or five writers (who worked on various episodes) credited for that episode. I want to know which of those writers wrote that episode. The same goes for directors since some of them do a better job than others. I don't want to see the same eight directors cut and pasted on every episode. Does Viz really save much money by copying the exact same credits every episode instead of having credits specific to individual episodes? Having the translated credits at the end of the DVD (like Fantastic Children, or Takahashi Anthology where the individual staff is broken down per episode) seems to work, although I prefer either the alternate angle or Macross approach.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:26 pm Reply with quote
ANN pretty much took the words right out of my mouth about the English dub. Despite what uber Bleach fanatics say about it sucking there's really very little difference between the quality of voice acting in either version.
Minai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I didn't mean to say that Michelle Ruff's performance was bad; just that in the Japanese, it is outrageously different. Having listened to that one first, "jeepers" is a bit of a let down. When I watched the first episode, in Japanese, I had a hard time telling if Rukia was was a guy or a girl at first, her voice is so deep. But she's disgustingly "genki" as a school girl. That difference is much more understated in the English track. Both are played more to the middle.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't directing that post towards anybody. I was just giving my opinion on the dub.
toomanyalts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
Did anyone else notice a sound quality problem with this dvd? I'm on my third copy of it from Amazon and can't get one that sounds "right". The English track is ok, but the Japanese track has some serious muting issues.

Since it hasn't been mentioned on any forums I suspect the problem is with your ears.

You do know that sending the item back when there isn't a problem just causes the manufactorer a lot of grief and loss of money?

There is nothing wrong with the audio. If ten other people listen and state there is no issue it's just your ears that are wrong.
subaru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Whearn9999 wrote:
I've never seen the Japanese language version. Perhaps I will someday. In regards to the critique of Rukia's English voice, it seems only natural to me that her voice stay the same because she is new at being "human". As a soul reaper, she showed no emotion, so naturally she would be inexperienced at speaking differently. That's my take, at least.

However, did you not notice in the scene of Rukia's first day at class? After taking Ichigo by surprise, she spoke the phrases including the words, "jeepers" and "you big brute" in a slightly elevated and playfull tone. It made me laugh pretty hard! Very Happy

I've never seen the English version. But The actresss plays Rukia did a very good job in the japanese version. I remember the first time i watched Bleach. Without knowing anything about the story, I thought Rukia is a boy. The scene with her dress up as a school girl, with that akward tone and voice..... it was such comical moment.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:32 am Reply with quote
toomanyalts wrote:
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
Did anyone else notice a sound quality problem with this dvd? I'm on my third copy of it from Amazon and can't get one that sounds "right". The English track is ok, but the Japanese track has some serious muting issues.

Since it hasn't been mentioned on any forums I suspect the problem is with your ears.

You do know that sending the item back when there isn't a problem just causes the manufactorer a lot of grief and loss of money?

There is nothing wrong with the audio. If ten other people listen and state there is no issue it's just your ears that are wrong.

I'm sorry, its not just my ears. There were two of us there, the sound was not correct in the original language version. I may have received a pair of defective disks or if my sound setup just doesn't like it (like I stated in my post). I was curious if anyone else had this problem. I'm not terribly concerned that it causes problems for the manufacturer, if the disk does not sound correct when I play it and all other disks DO play properly and do not have any other problems why should I suffer? I paid for the disk, I expect a quality return on my purchase, especially in a case like Bleach where I'll be buying a ton of dvds if I'm satisfied with the presentation. I already know I like the show, I'm disappointed that it isn't playing properly on my setup.

And I'm very disappointed that I'm being chastised for asking if I'm the only one having this problem.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:19 am Reply with quote
I didn't notice any problems with the audio, but then again I was watching it at a fairly low level since it was about this time (see above) at night/morning. I tend to crank up the 5.1 DVDs, especially movies, and watch them on my days off. Most of my tv DVDs are watched after work between last call and sunrise. I will pay close attention and watch the second volume in the afternoon at a decent level.

I can really relate to you though since I'm always ranting (having a T H X setup) about a/v quality. I posted sometime ago about the weird horizontal streaks (in the black transitions) that appear on the Trinity Blood discs. I also have posted numerously about flickering blacks in the Media Blasters DVDs. I've also complained about numerous other DVDs, but almost never get any response since members on this forum don't tend to care about these things compared to us.

I would highly recommend AnimeOnDVDs reviews since they tend to focus on the audio and video quality and issues on various DVDs. Chris Beveridge's reviews are especially well done and are both numerous and long. He is a fan who goes through more R1 DVDs a week than me and fortunately has taste that match mine fairly closely. AoDVD seems to have a good relation with ANN and you will see people from there posting here, as well as news being shared between the two sites.
Rozzer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:07 am Reply with quote
I haven't bought the first DVD of Bleach just yet, I think what I'm going to do is wait till they come out with a first box set that will contain a couple of DVD's. And it's great that Viz is releasing Bleach with with dubbing and subbing on one DVD. Because I hate the fact that Viz released two different versions of Naruto, one that is uncut with Japanese language with subtites, and the other is just the somewhat censored dubbed version.

But I do love the series, and will definitely pick up whatever box set they decide to release in the future.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:17 am Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
Interesting review, but I have to disagree about the art and animation; Its style looks unlike anything I've seen, and it's smooth throughout.

IMO, while Kubo's art gets translated well enough, it seems like the anime looses some indefinable aspect of the original character designs. Maybe it's just a side-effect of going from panels to animation, but I definately prefer the manga's art.

Other than that, it seems like the animation being used is done well, but nothing special; it's just taking the manga and using it as storyboards, with no adaption made for a different medium. This can work, but compare to the anime adaption for a series like Death Note; the difference is night and day. One series is the same experience as an anime or manga, while the other uses each medium's strengths.
jazzlsx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
It's really bad that the dub for Bleach is so horrendously awful. Though that's not nearly as bad as the fact that you people actually think it is good. The last good thing that "the black ranger" did was voice Vash the Stampede. Bosch was horrible as Kaneda, as Renton, and is just as bad as Ichigo. He's just bad. All of the humor that Masakazu Morita added to the role has now been removed. Just about all of the voice actors are bad in this way. As far as Renji goes, what they did to him is pretty much the gayest thing since gay came to Gaytown.

The fact that the translation sucks doesn't help the overall lack of quality of the American version. Soul reaper is lame sounding whether it's what the author intended or not. Since only some of the Japanese names are translated this further shows the complete lack of care that Viz has for this show. Sure it's basically DBZ with swords. Who cares? Naruto is DBZ with ninjas and that show is awesome, too. However, that dub is horrible in it's own right. American anime companies just don't seem to want to spend any kind of effort in making shows that have any sort of resemblance to the awesomely bad show that many Americans lost their anime cherry with, Dragonball Z. That fact most likely explains why you people can actually enjoy this dub.

And it's not all American licensing companies that make horrendous in voice actors. Bosch was even okay as Lujon in Fullmetal Alchemist, which is one of my favorite dubs. For those of you trying to follow along at home, Lujon was in the episode where a town is suffering from a petrification disease. Evangelion is yet another amazing dub. That dub doesn't edit what the show is supposed to be saying either. For example, when Misato is "playing," and I use that term in the purely sexual sense, with Asuka at the hot springs. The only reason that you know that is happening is because of the dialogue. Where as in Bleach something as innocent as Kon looking up Rukia's skirt, and yes, he's looking up her skirt, saying "Nice angle." This has been craptasically converted to "I was just telling Ichigo that I think my name should be Mod, don't you agree? It's better than Kon," despite the fact that he is still giving a thumbs up with an arrow pointing, of all scandalous places, up her skirt.

In short, the dub has basically destroyed everything that makes Bleach what it is and knocks it down to a formulaic shounen action series, yes, that's what it really is when you remove all of the humor and great character interactions. It's now just another show where some dude finds out he's unbelievably powerful in some way that makes him special in his world and now he has to go up against enemies that he doesn't understand at all because someone who is familiar with them is telling him to do so. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
jazzlsx wrote:
words

Welp, after you submitted this to me, I was planning on running your little rant here in the next Answerman column, but I guess you'd rather post it here instead! Oh well!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3