• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bleach DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-SLiCk-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
jazzlsx wrote:
It's really bad that the dub for Bleach is so horrendously awful. Though that's not nearly as bad as the fact that you people actually think it is good. The last good thing that "the black ranger" did was voice Vash the Stampede. Bosch was horrible as Kaneda, as Renton, and is just as bad as Ichigo. He's just bad. All of the humor that Masakazu Morita added to the role has now been removed. Just about all of the voice actors are bad in this way. As far as Renji goes, what they did to him is pretty much the gayest thing since gay came to Gaytown.

The fact that the translation sucks doesn't help the overall lack of quality of the American version. Soul reaper is lame sounding whether it's what the author intended or not. Since only some of the Japanese names are translated this further shows the complete lack of care that Viz has for this show. Sure it's basically DBZ with swords. Who cares? Naruto is DBZ with ninjas and that show is awesome, too. However, that dub is horrible in it's own right. American anime companies just don't seem to want to spend any kind of effort in making shows that have any sort of resemblance to the awesomely bad show that many Americans lost their anime cherry with, Dragonball Z. That fact most likely explains why you people can actually enjoy this dub.

And it's not all American licensing companies that make horrendous in voice actors. Bosch was even okay as Lujon in Fullmetal Alchemist, which is one of my favorite dubs. For those of you trying to follow along at home, Lujon was in the episode where a town is suffering from a petrification disease. Evangelion is yet another amazing dub. That dub doesn't edit what the show is supposed to be saying either. For example, when Misato is "playing," and I use that term in the purely sexual sense, with Asuka at the hot springs. The only reason that you know that is happening is because of the dialogue. Where as in Bleach something as innocent as Kon looking up Rukia's skirt, and yes, he's looking up her skirt, saying "Nice angle." This has been craptasically converted to "I was just telling Ichigo that I think my name should be Mod, don't you agree? It's better than Kon," despite the fact that he is still giving a thumbs up with an arrow pointing, of all scandalous places, up her skirt.

In short, the dub has basically destroyed everything that makes Bleach what it is and knocks it down to a formulaic shounen action series, yes, that's what it really is when you remove all of the humor and great character interactions. It's now just another show where some dude finds out he's unbelievably powerful in some way that makes him special in his world and now he has to go up against enemies that he doesn't understand at all because someone who is familiar with them is telling him to do so. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Wow, I could not have said it better myself. I agree with you 100%. Especially the part where people actually think the dub is good Confused. It sickens me how terrible the voice actors are. I especially got mad as soon as i herd Renji's and Byakuya's voice and not to mention the term "Soul Reaper" Mad. Thats def. not correct translation. Even freedict's japanese - english translation says shinigami = death(god of). In other words, Death God, which is the correct translation and not to mention it sounds alot better then soul reaper. So it goes to show you how viz has terrible voice actors and bad translators. They ruined Naruto, now Bleach, and soon to come... Death Note Crying or Very sad
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of Bleach, manga or anime, and I had no intention of replying in this thread at all, however...

jazzlsx wrote:
A whole lot of nonsense coming from a fanboy who thinks that one of, if not his favorite anime is like a religion that has just been stepped and spat on repeatedly, over, and over, and over, and over again.

Just a few points I'd like to make:

1) The way you come off aside, you don't sound like someone who should have a proper and accurate judgment of voice acting. Unless you are fluent in both English and Japanese, have taken acting lessons, etc. then you have no real business to state your opinions as facts.

2) I like how you say that the Bleach English dub is essentially "trash" while the Evangelion one is amazing. I mean, the voice acting in the latter series aside since it's one of the more subjective aspects in dubs when the typical fans "likes" or "doesn't" like a voice, the script for it is too haphazard, miscontrues a lot of the meanings, is too "loose" of a translation, and particularly the movies where sound effects and lines are changed (though that's Manga Ent.'s problem, not ADV). In comparison, from the few episodes I've caught on [adult swim] of Bleach, the translation seems fairly accurate and nothing truly important is actually screwed around with.

3) Bleach is a generic shounen, sorry to break it to ya. I don't care if someone enjoys it or not, it's their business, but it follows the formula of every major action shounen out there, not to mention certain arcs are just rehashes of previous ones.

-SLiCk- wrote:
I especially got mad as soon as i herd Renji's and Byakuya's voice and not to mention the term "Soul Reaper" Mad. Thats def. not correct translation. Even freedict's japanese - english translation says shinigami = death(god of). In other words, Death God, which is the correct translation and not to mention it sounds alot better then soul reaper.

"Soul Reaper" is the term that Kubo Tite wanted to be used, and he has written "Soul Reaper" IN ENGLISH in Japanese product concerning Bleach, you fool. Never mind that "Soul Reaper" is a fair enough adaption of the term, it's the official term.

Quote:
So it goes to show you how viz has terrible voice actors and bad translators.

No, it goes to show how ignorant and narrow-minded you are.

Quote:
They ruined Naruto, now Bleach, and soon to come... Death Note Crying or Very sad

"Oh noes!!111 The dubs suck so i dont want to bother myself with the official releases!!111 Viz has ruined these anime so theyve ruined my life!!!111"

Grow. The. Hell. Up.
-SLiCk-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Soul Reaper" is the term that Kubo Tite wanted to be used, and he has written "Soul Reaper" IN ENGLISH in Japanese product concerning Bleach, you fool. Never mind that "Soul Reaper" is a fair enough adaption of the term, it's the official term.

Thats still not the point fool. The point is shinigami still translates into death god and it sounds better then soul reaper. Thats all i was trying to say you F4G.And most likely Tite is terrible at english if he said that as the translation. And no i dont speak japanese but i do know what shinigami translates to in english. You can look that up almost anywhere and itll come up wiht the same answer.

Quote:
Quote:
So it goes to show you how viz has terrible voice actors and bad translators.

No, it goes to show how ignorant and narrow-minded you are.

Fine. Let me rephrase that. It goes to show you, when viz licensed a certain anime, how bad the dubs turn up. I've been totally satisfied with funimation and there dubs. So thats telling you something.

You going to say im narrow minded now? Rolling Eyes Please try and find a way to insult that comment.

Quote:
They ruined Naruto, now Bleach, and soon to come... Death Note Crying or Very sad

Quote:
"Oh noes!!111 The dubs suck so i don't want to bother myself with the official releases!!111 Viz has ruined these anime so theyve ruined my life!!!111"

Grow. The. Hell. Up.

Where did u get that from? Who said i wasnt goign to purchase viz's release's? Who said it ruined my life? By the way my life doesnt revolve around anime unlike a certain person with 200+ posts in 3 months time on this site. So, You must be talking about yourself and you must be upset about what viz has done... tisk tisk Anime cry . I think you forgot to to put the I NEED TO next to "Grow.The.Hell.Up."
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:14 pm Reply with quote
-SLiCk- wrote:
Thats all i was trying to say you F4G.

I wish the forums made some kind of exaggerated punting noise when I banned someone for life.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quote
-SLiCk- wrote:
Thats still not the point fool. The point is shinigami still translates into death god and it sounds better then soul reaper.

"Shinigami" can alternatively translate to "Soul Reaper," too. A more liberal translation, but it's not incorrect. In fact, it's the official term, and no amount of whining on your part will change the fact that Kubo, his editors, his assistants, and his publishers are all bigger authorities on Bleach than you are.

-SLiCk- wrote:

You're not being clever here. Keep up this kind of attitude and you'll be banned before you even reach five posts here. Cool it and try speaking to people with some civility and maturity instead of using your scathing middle schooler's wit and resorting to petty name-calling.

-SLiCk- wrote:
And most likely Tite is terrible at english if he said that as the translation.

Or maybe he wanted it that way fully knowing it was not a literal translation. Y'know, the same way Anno specifically wanted "Shito" to translate to "Angel" despite literally meaning "Apostle." Either way, given that it's Kubo's creation and not yours, and he wants a non-literal translation no matter if it's intentionally or by accident, it makes him more correct than you and your childlike wailing about literal meaning.

-SLiCk- wrote:
By the way my life doesnt revolve around anime unlike a certain person with 200+ posts in 3 months time on this site.

In other words, you have no real response or counterpoint of your own, so you're going to resort to cheap personal attacks in order to try and discredit the person that's effectively won the argument. "I have more of a life than you" basically means you're so self-conscious about maintaining some pre-manufactured sense of social life that you think those of us who've grown past such popularity paranoia actually care. To make such accusations is more of a reflection of your own failings as a human being than anyone else's on these forums.

But then you're the same person who thinks calling someone a "fag" is a clever and witty rebuttal, so I don't suppose I should expect much. Point is, grow up, start acting like an adult and conversing on a more respectable and intelligent level.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
-SLiCk- wrote:
Thats still not the point fool. The point is shinigami still translates into death god and it sounds better then soul reaper.

1) lolz @ repeating insult.

2) What you think "sounds better" doesn't mean jack. If the original intent of the author wants it to be translated as such, in this case with "Soul Reaper," and if the company abides by that, then they are putting out the product as its intended, not "ruining it."

Quote:

An immature use of a derogatory term intended to discriminate against homosexuals... Yep, you're a child/teenager. How about you get away from the computer and actually mature yourself some, kid.

Quote:
And most likely Tite is terrible at english if he said that as the translation.
And no i don't speak japanese but i do know what shinigami translates to in english. You can look that up almost anywhere and itll come up wiht the same answer.

So then, applying your logic, we should have the name of the main character from Death Note be pronounced as "Raito" in the English version. Retain that authentic Japanese pronunciation and all. We should also keep all of those Japanese terms in Japanese because they would so fit into the English language. However, we should also ignore the original creator's intentions, because even if he wants it translated as "Soul Reaper," we should translate as "Death God" or keep it as "Shinigami."

Quote:
Fine. Let me rephrase that. It goes to show you, when viz licensed a certain anime, how bad the dubs turn up. I've been totally satisfied with funimation and there dubs. So thats telling you something.

Because you obviously have the perfect background and experience to determine if they correctly translated something, and if the voices for both the Japanese and English dubs are fitting or not. You obviously don't have any any particular attitude against Viz because you like FUNimation's dubs, lol.

Quote:
You going to say im narrow minded now? Rolling Eyes Please try and find a way to insult that comment.

You're leaving yourself way too open, kid.

Quote:
Where did u get that from? Who said i wasnt goign to purchase viz's release's? Who said it ruined my life? By the way my life doesnt revolve around anime unlike a certain person with 200+ posts in 3 months time on this site. So, You must be talking about yourself and you must be upset about what viz has done... tisk tisk Anime cry . I think you forgot to to put the I NEED TO next to "Grow.The.Hell.Up."

Ah, damn, thanks, kid. You've given me something as much to laugh at as the flake of the week and rant in the recent Answerman column. I funny it downright funny that you think someone who infrequently posts on here, and posts en mass when they do since they type fairly fast, not to mention spin around YOUR own personal problems to that person is just adoring as hell.

But seriously, a kid who gets absolutely angry over one of their favorite anime being "ruined" by showing them primarily uncut on television, with very good translations, adequate choices for voices and direction, retaining the original music and keeping the opening and closing themes in the case of Bleach and the opening theme in Naruto, never mind all of the promotion and care that they've given so that they will be successful franchises that will appeal not just to the mainstream but also to the (reasonable) hardcore fan base... it's an amazing thing, it is.

Zac wrote:
I wish the forums made some kind of exaggerated punting noise when I banned someone for life.

Or maybe some particular smilie.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

You're not being clever here. Keep up this kind of attitude and you'll be banned before you even reach five posts here. Cool it and try speaking to people with some civility and maturity instead of using your scathing middle schooler's wit and resorting to petty name-calling.

Too late, I banned him for life already.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:06 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

"Shinigami" can alternatively translate to "Soul Reaper," too. A more liberal translation, but it's not incorrect. In fact, it's the official term, and no amount of whining on your part will change the fact that Kubo, his editors, his assistants, and his publishers are all bigger authorities on Bleach than you are.

Both translations work for me. I was just watching something els, but can't remember, where they translated Shini Gami as Grim Reaper.

I just rewatched the first episode in Japanese (this time paying attention to the subs) and have only a couple of minor notes. I found the main characters nick name for him Ichi Ni rather cute, since it can be seen as a pun for one two, and also reminds me of Pacifica's Shanon-ni. There is also the part where the guy is afraid of going to Jigoku which I've often associated with Hell, more than a mere Netherworld. At least the guys fear justifies this. Overall the translation seemed very good, although I did not listen to the dub.

The audio mix also seemd fine, although the 2 channel mix gets most of the audio redirected to the center channel with a 5.1/7.1 set up. There is very little stereo in this audio mix. I can believe that there night be some audio problems if the center channel is set lower than the L/R speakers. The audio quality piped through the surround speakers sounded awful. If your receiver/preamp has a 5/7 channel stereo option it might help. I tend to flip my Pioneer to 7D theater mode when deaing with 2 channel audio.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:09 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
-SLiCk- wrote:

Actually, it would be kind of cool if the screen shook violently, with a ground shaking sound, then across the screen it had a message saying something about whoever just got banned. Or we could do that for ANY important.unimportant message.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote
jazzlsx wrote:
It's really bad that the dub for Bleach is so horrendously awful. Though that's not nearly as bad as the fact that you people actually think it is good. The last good thing that "the black ranger" did was voice Vash the Stampede. Bosch was horrible as Kaneda, as Renton, and is just as bad as Ichigo. He's just bad. All of the humor that Masakazu Morita added to the role has now been removed. Just about all of the voice actors are bad in this way. As far as Renji goes, what they did to him is pretty much the gayest thing since gay came to Gaytown.

Even a bigoted dub critic like myself considers the Bleach dub to be top-notch, at the very least a step above Naruto and equal to the best of FUNimation or ADV. I find it amusing that you rest your argument entirely on subjectivity and do not offer evidence as to why "[Bosch]'s just bad".

The only complaint I could offer about the dub would be "veteran actor syndrome", where a company casts nothing but well-known actors who are individually excellent but collectively result in diminishing even a unique series' excellences. Our "new generation" of California dub VA's have not reached that point yet since their repertoir is only limited, but bordom with their voices can only be expected because so many actors participate in shows aired on CN/[as].

jazzlsx wrote:

The fact that the translation sucks doesn't help the overall lack of quality of the American version. Soul reaper is lame sounding whether it's what the author intended or not.

It's not exactly translation at this point, but adaption. Translation just gets across the general meaning while the adaption includes word choice; "death god" and "soul reaper" are roughly the same translation but the word choice is important for the thematic reasons.

I, however, find "death god" to be a better adapted term because "soul reaper" sounds like an arsinine effort to make Bleach kosher for little children, not unlike censorship in earlier cartoons of "I'm going to kill you" to "I'm going to destroy you"; Bleach is "one of those titles" that gives off the impression of being ridiculously childish yet is apparently pretending to be mature.

jazzlsx wrote:

Since only some of the Japanese names are translated this further shows the complete lack of care that Viz has for this show. Sure it's basically DBZ with swords. Who cares? Naruto is DBZ with ninjas and that show is awesome, too.

VIZ Media is not exactly behind this dub, it's a secondary processing group known as STUDIOPOLIS; they're fairly knew but are composed ot a lot of veteran adaptors from the Saban and FUNimation eras, though not much of those times are reflected in their dubs.

I will not disagree with the assertion, though, that VIZ Media can be quite apathetic as to where their real profits lie, and their half-arsed work has permanently ruined one of the most successful manga franchises in history.

jazzlsx wrote:

However, that dub is horrible in it's own right. American anime companies just don't seem to want to spend any kind of effort in making shows that have any sort of resemblance to the awesomely bad show that many Americans lost their anime cherry with, Dragonball Z. That fact most likely explains why you people can actually enjoy this dub.

STUDIOPOLIS' approach to the dub incorporates a dichotomy of attempting to emulate the Japanese anime and creating a localized dub, which is probably why it sounds so...odd. FUNimation's highly acclaimed Fullmetal Alchemist completely throws away trying to emulate the Japanese dub and created a whole new approach to it; frankly, that's what people like most in a dub, but it's too risky to try something like that in the post-One Piece era, so it's safer to default to what current fans are familiar with rather than to try something boldly new.

jazzlsx wrote:

Evangelion is yet another amazing dub.

haha, oh wow.

jazzlsx wrote:

That dub doesn't edit what the show is supposed to be saying either. For example, when Misato is "playing," and I use that term in the purely sexual sense, with Asuka at the hot springs. The only reason that you know that is happening is because of the dialogue.

See what I said earlier. Evangelion didn't try to mimick the Japanese performance, it gave an "original" performance of its own. I think the Evangelion dub quality is pretty amateur but as an adaption it's pretty darn good.

jazzlsx wrote:

Where as in Bleach something as innocent as Kon looking up Rukia's skirt, and yes, he's looking up her skirt, saying "Nice angle." This has been craptasically converted to "I was just telling Ichigo that I think my name should be Mod, don't you agree? It's better than Kon," despite the fact that he is still giving a thumbs up with an arrow pointing, of all scandalous places, up her skirt.

None of that makes any sense to me; maybe if you stopped grunting, I could actually address your grievance..

jazzlsx wrote:

the dub has basically destroyed everything that makes Bleach what it is and knocks it down to a formulaic shounen action series

Isn't that exactly what Bleach is? There's nothing innovative or unique here, it's just solid lowbrow entertainment.

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Minai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Why did I know when I wrote this review that an argument over the dub would break out in the forum.... I'm pretty hard on dubs myself, I rarely choose to watch the English track (except on Hellsing ), but I really did find this dub decent, at least on the first four episodes, which is all I was reviewing. There are a couple of characters later on that drive me insane, but this review is just disk one. If I were reviewing disk one of Fruits Basket, I would give it a thumbs up too, but I can't stand the whole series in English because of Momiji's dub. Still, one or two miscast characters does not mean that the dub is incompetent.

As to the soul reaper thing (another item that always seems to start fights), it's the way the original creator wanted it. I like it better anyway- they aren't gods. Death god doesn't fit. There is no exact translation for "shinigami" anyways- it is an idea totally foreign to English speaking society. The closest thing we have is angels. Would you rather them be called angels? Didn't think so.
Canuckian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Now to get off of the Dub-Hating/NameCallin/Flava Flave of the Week/ etc..

Tommorrow Volume 2 is RELEASED,Wonder if that one will have Stickers and a Calendar?
kolibri

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
Minai wrote:
Why did I know when I wrote this review that an argument over the dub would break out in the forum....

Nah, we love the dub over at the official Bleach dub thread Smile Yeah, we nitpick and bitch (about exactly the same issues brought up here) but we still love it.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:14 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
Minai wrote:
Why did I know when I wrote this review that an argument over the dub would break out in the forum....

Nah, we love the dub over at the official Bleach dub thread Smile Yeah, we nitpick and bitch (about exactly the same issues brought up here) but we still love it.

Yeah, I'll say! Laughing Let's just hope the fighting there remains polite and intelligent, unlike what happened just now here (I'm only talking about the two Bleach dub haters, everyone else seems to be quite insightful).

Anyways, I agree with Rozzer on the last page, I am probably going to wait for the box sets to be released before I buy it. That's what I have done with every series I have bought so far, and it really does save shelf space.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Why bash Renji's dub voice so much? I happen to like Wally Wingert voicing him. And Byakuya? Dan Woren is quite talented, so please don't diss him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3