• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Apollo Justice Trilogy Video Game Review

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
I'm another person who really enjoyed Apollo Justice when it first came out in English. I like Phoenix as well, but it was kind of disappointing how AJ seemed to set Apollo up as the new main protagonist with Phoenix as his mentor, only for Dual Destinies to make Phoenix the main protag again and shove Apollo further into the background.

I'm not sure if I'll get this trilogy yet (I'm currently playing The Great Ace Attorney, since it was on sale before Christmas), but I haven't played Spirit of Justice yet, so I might consider it later.

Apollo Justice/AA4 reminds a lot of Raiden and Metal Gear Solid 2. Old protagonist is set to the side (but still around in the game) so a new guy can take the lead!... then the fanbase totally hates it, and the creator/writers have to backstep it so the old protagonist comes back!

I liked AA4 and it disappoints me that that reaction has caused so much of it to be kind of just shuffled to the background so it can be the Phoenix show featuring Apollo and Athena.

...that said I do not care for Klavier, he sucks and every other prosecutor is better, yes even Payne.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
Apollo Justice/AA4 reminds a lot of Raiden and Metal Gear Solid 2. Old protagonist is set to the side (but still around in the game) so a new guy can take the lead!... then the fanbase totally hates it, and the creator/writers have to backstep it so the old protagonist comes back!

Slight omission Raiden was originally hated for replacing Snake and being a pretty boy.

But he became popular in later years..

Dr. Wily wrote:
...that said I do not care for Klavier, he sucks and every other prosecutor is better, yes even Payne.

Now come come on.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why DD gets singled out for pushing Apollo to the side when AJ does it in it's own final case. All things considered, I think AJ is pretty clearly the weakest link. While I think it's humor is generally pretty great, and Apollo and Trucy manage to make themselves feel distinct and enjoyable, it's 2nd and 3rd cases are largely pretty forgettable, what makes Klavier potentially interesting never really comes together until the last case and even then it's not enough, and while I'm fine with Phoenix's characterization, I don't like how he ultimately usurps a lot of Apollo's screentime in the last case.

If anything, I think DD is underrated. I think Athena manages to integrate herself rather well, better than Apollo did in his own debut game. Blackquill is phenomenal , and i think every case has something about it that makes it stand out

And SOJ is maybe my favorite game in the franchise.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:13 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
I'm not sure why DD gets singled out for pushing Apollo to the side when AJ does it in it's own final case.

Because Dual Destinies did that for most of the game. Turnabout Succession while splitting the narrative between Phoenix & Apollo at parts was still for all intents in purpose about Apollo getting Justice (excuse the pun) for both his client & Phoenix.

Then here comes Capcom telling people “yeah remember how we introduced a new main character in the 4th Gyakuten Saiban game? Eventhough we finished up Naruhodō’s story in the 3rd we’re now going back to having him as the primary protagonist but don’t worry Housuke fans he’s around, just not as important as he was in the fourth game. We’re also going to create a schism between him and Naruhodo for drama”.

ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
All things considered, I think AJ is pretty clearly the weakest link.

Spirits of Justice was the weakest game in the 2nd trilogy but if you want the weakest game in the series overall that would have to go to either Justice For All or Trials & Tribulations.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I have such a complicated relationship with 4-6 AA games. On the one hand, they introduced some of my favorite characters in the series (Athena and Apollo, for starters!) and some incredible villains in games 4 and 5. On the other hand, they made me resent my main guy Nick

He's everywhere! It's one thing to have him haunt Apollo Justice in a legitimately interesting morally ambiguous way (though spoiler[making Apollo present fake evidence in court] still rubs me the wrong way), but he's constantly shoving his face in things in DD and SoJ, so much that SoJ is the only AA game I haven't played more than once :/

In DD, Athena only REALLY leads one case, case 3. spoiler[In the intro she has to get saved after the prosecution needles her ONE time, just so Phoenix can sweep in and save the day]. Apollo gets the same. It's even worse in SoJ, where her case doesn't even get an investigation portion, has no plot relevance, and spoiler[has her failing so bad that Simon gets a "shaking Athena by the shoulders" animation in court]. Like. why'd you do her like that, Capcom

I mostly remember Apollo getting spoiler[another backstory but not what he actually did in SoJ, sorry about that].

Anyway, tldr there's ever an AA7 and Nick is on the cover I will scream. Sorry dude
Stelman257

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:40 am Reply with quote
Sounds like everyone has their own view on what is and isn't the best game and I think that's awesome personally, shows how much impact the series as a whole had on people!
For me my top 3 unordered will always be AA1, AA6 and GAA (both counted together). Those games were the most memorable to me for so many reasons, but I think they also just hit me at certain impactful times, as your favourite pieces of media tend to do aha.
Ultimatum wrote:
It's even worse in SoJ, where her case doesn't even get an investigation portion, has no plot relevance, and spoiler[has her failing so bad that Simon gets a "shaking Athena by the shoulders" animation in court]. Like. why'd you do her like that, Capcom

I get why you feel the way you do, but honestly I absolutely adored that moment. An Athena and Simon team up was so damn fun, and I don't think there's anything wrong with him encouraging her that way. It was a great moment for them.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Ultimatum wrote:
He's everywhere! It's one thing to have him haunt Apollo Justice in a legitimately interesting morally ambiguous way (though spoiler[making Apollo present fake evidence in court] still rubs me the wrong way)

Not saying you shouldn’t feel this way but this is the same guy who once took illegal evidence from the office of an accused suspect. And had the suspect in question not unwittingly allowed the evidence to be legally be used in court. Would’ve had Phoenix’s defense dead to rights

Ultimatum wrote:

I mostly remember Apollo getting spoiler[another backstory but not what he actually did in SoJ, sorry about that].

Not so much another backstory but an expansion on his barely explained background….which ties over to my previous mentioning of contrived/dumb plot points. As for what he did in SoJ

[spoiler]- Finds out the circumstances of how he wound up with his mother’s bracelet
- Reunites with his spoiler[adoptive father and brother] who we were never told about prior to this game.
- Along with Phoenix helps bring an end to the conspiracy that upended the criminal justice system in Khura'in

All that spoiler[and we don’t get to see him & Trucy reunite with Thalassa.]

Stelman257 wrote:
I get why you feel the way you do, but honestly I absolutely adored that moment. An Athena and Simon team up was so damn fun, and I don't think there's anything wrong with him encouraging her that way. It was a great moment for them.

If Athena didn’t have two separate scenes in Dual Destines where she had to have her confidence restored in court due to separate incidents spoiler[triggering the trauma of her mother’s] death in the middle of two separate cases that scene probably would’ve went better. Having her confidence get shaken again in new case in a new game just felt like regression.

It’s kinda like how Phoenix is pushed to the point of giving up in court because of a damning piece of testimony or evidence being used against him but then with Mia’s or someone else’s encouragement making his patented comebacks to keep the case going or to finally take down the accused.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:32 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Not saying you shouldn’t feel this way but this is the same guy who once took illegal evidence from the office of an accused suspect. And had the suspect in question not unwittingly allowed the evidence to be legally be used in court. Would’ve had Phoenix’s defense dead to rights

Oh absolutely. I took issue with the fact that he seemed willing to let a newbie spoiler[lose his license exactly the way he did seven years ago ]to prove a point/make it thematically relevant

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Stelman257 wrote:

If Athena didn’t have two separate scenes in Dual Destines where she had to have her confidence restored in court due to separate incidents spoiler[triggering the trauma of her mother’s] death in the middle of two separate cases that scene probably would’ve went better. Having her confidence get shaken again in new case in a new game just felt like regression.

It’s kinda like how Phoenix is pushed to the point of giving up in court because of a damning piece of testimony or evidence being used against him but then with Mia’s or someone else’s encouragement making his patented comebacks to keep the case going or to finally take down the accused.

Yeah....if it hadn't happened in DD, or if she'd had more screentime to show her chops/have a story arc that was about losing confidence without Phoenix and Apollo and pulling through herself, it would have been a fun case for a newbie. But this on top of how she was shoved to the side despite being a member of the same law office reallly soured me on it. And even if Apollo got more cases, Phoenix did NOT need that many of his own
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
English-speakers too. And Bridge to the Turnabout in particular still regularly tops "best AA case" rankings.

Oh yeah really? I haven't seen it rank high ever since we got the Great Ace Attorney games honestly, but nostalgia is a heck of a thing.

I looked up how different sites rank the Ace Attorney games, and almost every single one ranked Trials and Tribulations at the top. The only outlier was one that put Dual Destinies as the top game and had Trials and Tribulations ranked second.

And it's the same for me. I just finished Great Ace Attorney, and while they are excellent, the characters never had quite the same hold on my heart as the cast of the original trilogy. T&T was the first game to tie all the cases together, and did so in a way that felt natural for the series. In my opinion, Great Ace Attorney takes itself a bit too seriously and is rather overwritten, while the original trilogy had a punchier script.
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Great Ace Attorney had its own issues; the outcry against the first game was fierce because people that bought it at the time were extremely angry that it left off on a cliffhanger. (Rumor has it that it was originally supposed to also be a trilogy, but was forced to wrap things up in the next outing because people were so outraged.)

I personally see GAA as Takumi trying again at the stuff he wanted to explore in AJ:AA, and I think he was much more successful the second time around.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:17 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
And it's the same for me. I just finished Great Ace Attorney, and while they are excellent, the characters never had quite the same hold on my heart as the cast of the original trilogy. T&T was the first game to tie all the cases together, and did so in a way that felt natural for the series. In my opinion, Great Ace Attorney takes itself a bit too seriously and is rather overwritten, while the original trilogy had a punchier script.

I personally wasn’t too bothered by the GAA’s script aside from a couple of ass pulls/plot holes and some unfunny aspects regarding Susato. Some of the stuff from the original trilogy especially with regard to it’s localization was a “bit” too much at times and people tend to oversell how good the not actual good parts of the original trilogy were.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stelman257

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Ultimatum wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
If Athena didn’t have two separate scenes in Dual Destines where she had to have her confidence restored in court due to separate incidents... Having her confidence get shaken again in new case in a new game just felt like regression.

Yeah....if it hadn't happened in DD, or if she'd had more screentime to show her chops/have a story arc that was about losing confidence without Phoenix and Apollo and pulling through herself, it would have been a fun case for a newbie.

Ah I see what you mean, I still really loved the moment though, especially since it was coming from Simon, who very clearly means a lot to her. Defs fair to say, maybe not the best use of her limited screentime, and while Phoenix gets bailed out repeatedly a ton (especially in the original trilogy) he has more screentime to do other stuff too.
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Stelman257 wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
English-speakers too. And Bridge to the Turnabout in particular still regularly tops "best AA case" rankings.

Oh yeah really? I haven't seen it rank high ever since we got the Great Ace Attorney games honestly, but nostalgia is a heck of a thing.

I looked up how different sites rank the Ace Attorney games, and almost every single one ranked Trials and Tribulations at the top. The only outlier was one that put Dual Destinies as the top game and had Trials and Tribulations ranked second.

That’s wilddd, I guess I’ve been out of the fan space of the series for a while, but fair enough! I adored Great Ace Attorney and the later games like AA6, and while I still love the original Trilogy of course, only the first game really still holds up to the series best for me. But yeah wow, I called that one totally wrong aha. I guess it also makes sense that Trials & Tribulations was given its own season for the anime too then, they knew how much love it still gets from the fanbase.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:

That’s wilddd, I guess I’ve been out of the fan space of the series for a while, but fair enough! I adored Great Ace Attorney and the later games like AA6, and while I still love the original Trilogy of course, only the first game really still holds up to the series best for me. But yeah wow, I called that one totally wrong aha. I guess it also makes sense that Trials & Tribulations was given its own season for the anime too then, they knew how much love it still gets from the fanbase.[/quote]

Not going to lie, when I first read your post, I thought, "But everyone loves Trials and Tribulations... or wait, is that just me and my circle?" Like many critics, my opinions don't always match up with the general population, so I can never be totally sure. So I did a quick search, and it turns out, nope, not just me! Trials and Tribulations is beloved.

Anyway, back onto the topic of the Apollo Justice trilogy, I'm excited this game is out. I do think they're overall some of the weakest games in the series for a lot of reasons, but I never finished Spirit of Justice and I'm glad to have the chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2