• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Grandia HD Game Collection Gets Release on PS4, Xbox One on March 26

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:54 am Reply with quote
This collection was such a disaster on Switch. If they haven't fixed the issues with it, then avoid this like the plague.

No way to restore the original pixel art. Many sprites that didn't have the ugly smearing filter applied to them (even within the same character, so you'd have an arm that is pixelated and the rest of the body all smeared looking). Wide screen added, but not accounted for, so in cutscenes you'd have a character walk off screen, but they're still visible and walking in place because in 4:3 they were no longer visible. In Grandia 2, Elena's face texture is outright missing when she changes her expression.

That's just some of the issues I encountered in the Switch version.
Rowri8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:36 am Reply with quote
SUPER_METR0lD wrote:
This collection was such a disaster on Switch. If they haven't fixed the issues with it, then avoid this like the plague.

No way to restore the original pixel art. Many sprites that didn't have the ugly smearing filter applied to them (even within the same character, so you'd have an arm that is pixelated and the rest of the body all smeared looking). Wide screen added, but not accounted for, so in cutscenes you'd have a character walk off screen, but they're still visible and walking in place because in 4:3 they were no longer visible. In Grandia 2, Elena's face texture is outright missing when she changes her expression.

umm the game was fixed on the switch over the course of many months and many many updates and its actually great now. Sadly you dont see people report that, just the launch version lol. so this new version might have all the updates on the get go
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the first Grandia game on PSN, is that an emulation of the PS1 version?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I love Grandia!
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:39 am Reply with quote
Rowri8 wrote:
SUPER_METR0lD wrote:

umm the game was fixed on the switch over the course of many months and many many updates and its actually great now. Sadly you dont see people report that, just the launch version lol. so this new version might have all the updates on the get go

Agreed. I replayed both games on switch about 6 months ago and they were as fun as I remembered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1