• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Angels, Devils, and Goddesses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:09 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Weazul-chan wrote:
Quote:
Trying to cram all of the [Black Cat] manga into a 24-episode series leaves it very jumbled at times, especially since it wastes so much time with filler episodes.

it's 23 eps, not 24. and the filler is there because it was originally intended for a 52 ep run (at least according to the info I found early on while the eps were still on the single digits in Japan). around ep 10 the ep count got sliced to 23 eps. I'm guessing the ratings were a bit lower than they hoped, probably because the manga finished its run about a year before the anime started. that fact, and the Eden arc at the end, were the two biggest failings in the animated adaption of Black Cat (altho the first ED was Teh Win).

It's 24 episodes.

The 15th episode was never aired. However, it will be included with the Funimation release.
oh? I've heard rumors of an unaired ep but I had never found something to back up those rumors and eventually gave up. PLEASE tell me that unaired ep explains the random flashaback from one of the Eden arc eps to a fight involving Train, Charden, and Sephiria~
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:15 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode of AMG S2. It was on the Newtype USA DVD. That first episode made me smile and laugh many a time. That's a good sign that I'll love the second season, as I lost count of how many times I smiled or laughed while watching the first season. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ladara7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote
Although I kind of agree Disgaea might have such flaws as the reviewer mentioned, it's just they don't seem to matter to me : I enjoy it on its own merit. Guess it shows how our subjective perception can escape rationalization.
One thing watching anime taught me and is worth noting is that it tends to get better as the series progress (either it starts to make more sense, things fall into place, or it just grows on you). So maybe the third DVD will redeem the other two for those who did not like them? As for me, I feel it should have been given more time to develop, this should have been a 24 or 40 episodes series.
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
One thing I've found out about anime is that there seems to be a genre for everybody. Disgaea was pretty good-not having played the game(s) I really didn't know what to expect-the ending was kinda unexpected but really good. And now watching the 1st disc of Rumbling Hearts I like it even better, the story is well done and the characters are very likeable. Glad to hear you like the 2nd season of Oh My Goddess-it seems people either love or hate the opening theme-personnely I love it-bagpipes and all. It seems that I read somewhere that Rumiko Takahashi was influenced by Bewitched when she was doing Urusei Yatsura-when Lum says "darling" it sounds an awful lot like Samantha calling "Darrin"-and it's not a concidence either. Anime trivia 101.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote
Recently, I had the opportunity to check out the review in Shelf Life regarding the latest release by ADV Films, Ah My Goddess: Flight of Fancy. I was greatly disturbed by how one-sided the review was not to mention the aversion by the reviewer regarding romantic-comedies. It wasn't until I check out some of the larger websites that I was educated, much ot my chagrin, about how reviewers at ANN have such a distaste for romantic-comedies to keep the review unbiased.

To quote, "to my knowledge... the reviews on ANN have always been rather unfair on most of the romance genre anime.... in fact, the only times they probably would post good reviews if the anime has death or tragedy in it (think Air or Kimi Ga Nozomu Ein). Most of the romantic/comedy anime get blasted by them. Generally this goes to show they are more interested in action based anime."

Check out the review by ANN: animenewsnetwork.com/shelf-life/2007-04-23#ah

It's a blunder by the editors and quite unfair to say that;

"Fans of Ah! My Goddess already know that the first season is out on DVD from Media Blasters, and it's the second season that ADV's releasing. If you didn't know that, then you probably don't have enough interest in the series to justify picking up the first volume of the second season. It's as simple as that.

Plus, honestly, if you haven't watched the first season, then the second season will make no sense to you. Even if you've seen all the OVAs and the movie and everything, the TV series is so packed with its own separate plot points that there are nuances in this disc that will leave new viewers in the dust. This disc starts right smack in the middle of things and largely spends most of the time developing Belldandy and Keiichi's relationship, while throwing in random filler. There are a couple of cute Christmas episodes, as well as a few stray picnics, but even though each 25-minute standalone doesn't too much context to process, it's still something that will only appeal to fans of the series. If you aren't familiar with the backstory of Ah! My Goddess (Boy summons goddess via fated phone call, goddess + sisters move in, boy + goddess fall in love, etc), then this disc will be unbearably boring to you."

This is quite incorrect. The series can be watched from any point ... fans who have watched the television series have become rather enamored with this series and you don't need to watch the first season in order to unuderstand what's going on. To be truthful, the same could be said of ANY anime series. To be quite truthful, the majority of the fans who watch the anime series are also fans of the manga series and with the series celebrating its 20th Anniversary for the anime and manga series, the series stands as a testament to the enduring devotion by the fans. It's quite sad that the review of this particular Shelf Life review did not do his homework on the series.

It's also a crying shame that Anime ON DVD.com ( http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/6175.php ) posted a much more balanced review of this volume and since ANN.com is one of the more popular websites, you would think that this reviewer would have posted a more unbiased review on this release.

[EDIT: Moved your thread originally, but then remembered I could just merge it with the topic at question. Sorry for the confusion. -TK]
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
BIAS BIAS BIAS

She didn't like it, you did. That's it.

There's no "bias". You just don't agree with the review.

I don't understand why there are so many people who don't seem to even know what "bias" really means or that you have to actually prove that claim with some kind of valid evidence, but whatever.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

This is quite incorrect. The series can be watched from any point ... fans who have watched the television series have become rather enamored with this series and you don't need to watch the first season in order to unuderstand what's going on. To be truthful, the same could be said of ANY anime series. To be quite truthful, the majority of the fans who watch the anime series are also fans of the manga series and with the series celebrating its 20th Anniversary for the anime and manga series, the series stands as a testament to the enduring devotion by the fans. It's quite sad that the review of this particular Shelf Life review did not do his homework on the series.

I didn't realize any "homework" had to be done on the series. I've read all of the manga, seen the OVAs, watched the movie, watched Mini-Goddess, and saw the first season of the TV show. Yeah, so?

You mention that viewers of the anime series are fans of the anime and manga series... Which means that they probably knew that the first TV season was released by Media Blasters, which is the first paragraph I wrote that you took issue with. If you're wandering into Best Buy and you see that ADV has released the 2nd season, and you had NO idea that the first season was already released, then no matter what you say, you're not *that* big of an AMG fan. Because if you were... then you probably would've watched the first season. And furthermore, if you bought the first season, then it stands to reason that you probably will be buying the second season.

The only way that someone could jump into the middle of AMG is if they had previous viewing/reading knowledge of the franchise. You take some random guy who's never seen it before, and give him a disc from the middle of the series, and he'll probably have questions. Like, "who are these people?", "Why are there goddesses in his house?", "What is that wish they're talking about?" Sure, you can technically watch any series from the middle, but it makes MUCH more sense if you watch it from the beginning.

I don't understand how "doing homework" has anything to do with my review. I know about the franchise. I really enjoyed the OVAs and I found the movie to be delightful. However, I think the TV series is bland. So I guess if that makes me "biased," then okay.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
BIAS BIAS BIAS

She didn't like it, you did. That's it.

There's no "bias". You just don't agree with the review.

I don't understand why there are so many people who don't seem to even know what "bias" really means or that you have to actually prove that claim with some kind of valid evidence, but whatever.
If you don't like it-just come out and say so at the beginning of the review-don't shoot it down just because it's a "romantic comedy", don't make blanket statements. If I watch something and think it sucks-I say so at the beginning of the review, I don't say all series of that particular genre are bad-just the one I'm reviewing. It sure sounds like she was biased to me. Just for this one series in question (OMG)-everybody I've talked to about it either likes or loves it (about 20 people so far), so I'd think it's safe to say she's in the very small minority who don't like it. What kind of valid "evidence" do you want? A bar graph? And yes-I'm "biased"-I like it a lot. It's only "bland" if you have no imagination. Another series in the same vein as OMG-Denshin Mamotte Shuggogetten was reviewed as "bland and derivitive"-but that didn't stop me from throughly enjoying it.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
don't shoot it down just because it's a "romantic comedy", don't make blanket statements. If I watch something and think it sucks-I say so at the beginning of the review, I don't say all series of that particular genre are bad-just the one I'm reviewing.

Where did I say I disliked all romantic comedies?

I still don't see why people are getting their panties twisted in a knot. I admit to liking the original AMG OVA a lot. I didn't like the TV series as much. I didn't hate it-- I just found it mediocre, hence the "Rental Shelf" rating.

I'm not sure why there's an assumption that I hate all romantic comedies. As a reviewer, I objectively give some of them mediocre reviews, but if you come over to my apartment, you'll see Please Twins, DearS, and a host of other shows on my shelf. One of my favorite standalone OVAs of all time is the Love Hina Christmas Special. So.... where's the bias? Because I didn't like the AMG TV series? Oh okay, that makes sense.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:54 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
If you don't like it-just come out and say so at the beginning of the review-don't shoot it down just because it's a "romantic comedy", don't make blanket statements. If I watch something and think it sucks-I say so at the beginning of the review, I don't say all series of that particular genre are bad-just the one I'm reviewing. It sure sounds like she was biased to me. Just for this one series in question (OMG)-everybody I've talked to about it either likes or loves it (about 20 people so far), so I'd think it's safe to say she's in the very small minority who don't like it. What kind of valid "evidence" do you want? A bar graph? And yes-I'm "biased"-I like it a lot. It's only "bland" if you have no imagination. Another series in the same vein as OMG-Denshin Mamotte Shuggogetten was reviewed as "bland and derivitive"-but that didn't stop me from throughly enjoying it.

What in the hell are you talking about? Did you even READ the review? Nowhere in there does it criticize the romantic comedy genre. Bamboo has positively reviewed a lot of romcoms in the past. There are no blanket statements, nothing unfair at all.

What in the world is your problem? I don't get it. And now you're sitting here saying that because 20 people you spoke to like Oh My Goddess, that's some kind of irrefutable proof that EVERYONE loves the show and anyone who doesn't must be a biased part of a small minority. That's incredibly faulty reasoning; it's total BS.

Then you admit that you're attacking this review because you liked it and she didn't, and then insult anyone who doesn't like it by telling them they have no imagination.

You're ridiculous. Completely ridiculous.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote
It's really not to hard to read between the lines, if you don't dislike all romantic comedies, fine. I agree with the previous post a few spaces up from CW-you guys are like a pack of dogs-if someone doesn't agree with your synopsis-3 posts to get down on little ole' me. If you don't like OMG, fine-I do. True-it's your forum, but don't wave a flag in front of a bull and expect to get no responses. blah, blah..........
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
It's really not to hard to read between the lines, if you don't dislike all romantic comedies, fine. I agree with the previous post a few spaces up from CW-you guys are like a pack of dogs-if someone doesn't agree with your synopsis-3 posts to get down on little ole' me. If you don't like OMG, fine-I do. True-it's your forum, but don't wave a flag in front of a bull and expect to get no responses. blah, blah..........

"Little ol' me"? You came in here with a bunch of nasty little swipes and accusations. Bias is very serious problem, and if it actually exists, we have to do whatever we can to eliminate it. It might mean nothing to you to throw it at anyone who you disagree with, but we take it seriously.

Your "reading between the lines" lead you to a conclusion that was completely and totally unfair and wrong. Maybe you should re-evaluate your method of interpreting someone else's words.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
I too am an avid AMG fan. I have seen the OVA and movie, and read all the manga legally released to the western world, and only just now seeing the First season, ( things take a while to wash up on our beaches anime wise) I have to say I agree with BD's review. I had expected the TV series to follow the manga, and indeed it does, but this following seems to have gathered a large bit of added elements not witnessed in the manga. I will guess this was done to try and seperate the two, other wise what would be the point, if one has read the books, to purchase the exact same story in video? I too have perfered the design of the OVA over the TV series, but I also take into consideration the 14 years between the two. Also lets face it, if you have read the manga you know this has to be one of the longest dragged out romance, marrage proposals in the history of manga, in short, s l o w, and therefore the TV series which is suppose the follow that is also s l o w, but with added fluffy feathers stuck on to take the tediousness away, however I'm afraid it didn't work for me sadly, and so I too am a bit disappointed, but not enough to totally reject it. One just needs to accept it and move on. I'm renting it, not buying it, and I have done so before this review.
Keep in mind that any review is just a published individual point of view by that individual viewing it, and in no way will be always the same as your own. It might be close enough to agree with, but the opposite is also true. Don't like that review? Write your own. Wink

{edit} Edited for spelling.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm an unabashed fan of AMG and am FULLY aware that other people do not share that opinion and that is fine. The review OBVIOUSLY has a slant against this title I assume because Bamboo doesn't like it. The Tenchi 3 review is actually strikingly similar but basically goes like this:
-If you like early Tenchi, you'll love this (which I disagree as I liked early Tenchi but not T3, but I digress)
-If you didn't like early Tenchi this won't fix that
If we stop here, it's like the AMG review, however... (if I may quote)
-"If you've never seen Tenchi before, you must watch the previous OVAs or you will have ZERO clue what's going on."

vs.

-"If you aren't familiar with the backstory of Ah! My Goddess (...), then this disc will be unbearably boring to you." (cut summary in parenthesis)

Basically, the reviewer is saying "for Tenchi, if you haven't seen previous, you'll need to watch it to understand" (which is relatively unbiased and telling you watch or no, but watch the early stuff if you want to understand) vs. "for AMG, if you haven't see the previous, this sucks." Which may be true for most ANY vol. 2+ of ANY series. I find this especially slanted when you consider that the in the "throw away" bits at the end, the reviewer basically says "check it out in OVA" (which I agree with) "or movie" first. That's ridiculous when you consider that the TV series doesn't drop you any deeper in the series than the movie. In the movie, you are ALSO dropped in midway thru the story, given pretty much no details, heck, it starts on the moon with a character even manga readers ain't gonna know and throws in various other details that possibly conflict with the established manga story.

Personally, I don't really care since I only read the reviews out of a measure of boredom and by now am fully aware that I do not agree with Bamboo on most matters of anime choices. But while I wouldn't say Bamboo has a bias against RomCom, I DO think the review does display a bias against AMG specifically.

(personally, all things considered I DO think this should be reviewed more as vol. 7 of the TV anime rather than vol 1 as series 2, since it's basically just continuing the series, and the "you need to watch earlier episodes" should be sort of assumed and the "more of the same" kind of issues have merit rather than "as episode 1 of a series this is confusing and boring" kinda tack the review projects)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
The AMG movie, though a stand alone, was based on the manga, not the OVA.
So really linking it with the OVA because it was the next chronological release is rather incorrect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6