• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote
Despite being a member of this site for about 5 years now, I've never posted to this thread, so here goes!

Name: Douglas

Sex: Male

Blood Type: B negative.

Location: Lakewood (closest famous location is Seaside Heights), New Jersey

Marital Status: Single

Ethnicity: English, Welsh, Scottish, Dutch, French, Irish

Religion: None

Pets: None

Drink/Smoke: Drinks socially and doesn't smoke.

Likes: Web surfing, model building, reading, gaming, hiking, biking, travelling

Dislikes: Tomatoes, cold weather, and reality TV shows

Favorite anime: Macross, Gundam, Maison Ikkoku, K-On!, Yamato, Kimagure Orange Road, 80s mecha anime

Favorite Manga Appleseed, Nana, Maison Ikkoku

Favorite Books: Harry Potter, Dragonlance Chronicles, Mars Trilogy, War of the Worlds

Favorite games: Ys IV (PC Engine version), Lunar, Final Fantasy (almost all of them)

Favorite TV shows/Movies: Babylon 5, Last Resort, How I Met Your Mother, Top Gear, War of the Worlds (1953 version), The Forbidden Planet, The Fifth Element

Favorite Drink: Kahlua Mudslide

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Chocolate Milk

Favorite Foods: Sushi, chocolate chip cookies, fish, cheese, bread

Favorite Sites: Animenewsnetwork, Macrossworld, Facebook

Favorite Sport (to watch): None

Favorite Sport (to play):Bowling, golf (despite not playing in over 25 years!)

Favorite Music: Classic Rock, just about any music from the 80s, anime music

Job: Assistant Manager for Party City

Hobbies: Pretty much the same as my likes, plus anime watching and manga reading (of course!)

Fun facts:
- My hearing has a slightly higher frequency range than most people's
- I once made it out of the US, into Japan, and back out of Japan with an unsigned passport.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:07 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Welcome to the forum guildmaster, I see you like Fairy Tail, it is one of my tops too.

Fairy Tail has rapidly become one of my all time best liked series. What's really great is that there are over 100 episodes that I haven't even seen yet! I wasn't too hot on it at first, the opening of the first dozen or so episodes didn't draw me in & Natsu's vouce it annoying loud), but the actual episodes were funny. I watch anime as a diversion (job stress) and like to laugh at the comic effects. Happy, in particular is a great plus. Most of the animal characters in all anime series are only annoyance, but not Happy! Fairy Tail has plenty of laughs without going too far over the top with fanservice, not that i dislike fanservice, but that's not FT's raison d'etre.

I wish funimation would get off their a$$es and get some more episodes published, because while i can find them streaming, Japanese is not one of my languages, and i like to watch the show instead of reading the subtitles.

Last edited by guildmaster on Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:40 am Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:
Fairy Tail has rapidly become one of my all time best liked series. What's really great is that there are over 100 episodes that I haven't even seen yet! I wasn't too hot on it at first, the opening of the first dozen or so episodes didn't draw me in & Natsu's vouce it annoying loud), but the actual episodes were funny. I watch anime as a diversion (job stress) and like to laugh at the comic effects. Happy, in particular is a great plus. Most of the animal characters are only annoyance, but not Happy! Fairy Tail has plenty of laughs without going too far over the top with fanservice, not that i dislike fanservice, but that's not FT's raison d'etre.

I wish funimation would get off their a$$es and get some more episodes published, because while i can find them streaming, Japanese is not one of my languages, and i like to watch the show instead of reading the subtitles.
I can sympathise wanting to get more out, I actually have been watching it every week for 3 years now, but I enjoy the dub release as I get a physical copy and I can show my younger brother. The next arc would includes an important new character. Anyway I have not gotten bored with it and I hope that they can bring more, the fact the movie has a english cast list on this site seems to imply they may do the movie, but it does not have a voice for Wendy yet.

Interesting that Fairy Tail seems to have actually made a sound effect for fanservice that has been put into other anime.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Interesting that Fairy Tail seems to have actually made a sound effect for fanservice that has been put into other anime.

I'm not sure what you mean by this sentence. Is there some sound in the anime, sort of like the bouncing sound in Kenichi when Miu or any of the other ladies 'assets' are amplified? If so I've missed it,. guess I'll have to watch, er, um, listen to some episodes again.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by this sentence. Is there some sound in the anime, sort of like the bouncing sound in Kenichi when Miu or any of the other ladies 'assets' are amplified? If so I've missed it,. guess I'll have to watch, er, um, listen to some episodes again.
It is a sound effect that sounds something like THIS, it has appeared a few anime since.
iamalive

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
- My hearing has a slightly higher frequency range than most people's

Wow, that's really cool! Surprised

I sometimes feel like I have a slightly lower frequency range than most Razz
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:32 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:

Hi CrowLia, sorry for the late reply. Since I only started studying Japanese recently and, sadly, have to do that on my own due to the fact that I live in the middle of nowhere, I will also be taking N5. Did you study on your own or do you have the luxury of having a tutor/teacher, if you don't mind me asking?

Ah, yes, Germany's culinary landscape, at least in name if nothing else. Very Happy

That's awesome! Language schools are really expensieve so I also learnt most of my basic Japanese by self-teaching -mostly through Anime, I must confess, and I keep getting surprised at how useful it has been- but last February I finally got admitted to my university's language school -which has no fee- so I'm now taking regular lessons with Japanese teachers -they're super weird. I'm hoping to study by myself now that I'm in vacation and advance enough levels to take the N3 next year.

Good luck on your test! I reccommend you check the JLPT's website, as the exam comes closer (probably around october) they upload sample tests that are very useful to prepare for the kind of questions the exam has
guildmaster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
It is a sound effect that sounds something like THIS, it has appeared a few anime since.

That is a trip! I somehow missed it, or it came out after episode 48. I'll definitely have to re-watch, er, re-listen to the whole series again now, or at least up to what i have. Wink
By_the_Jelly_Beans?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote
I'm about a month late but oh well....

Name: Clark Griswold (Real first name, fake last name, it's what they called me in High School...and prefer that over the other obvious one.

Sex: Male

Blood Type: Red?

Marital Status: Forever alone Crying or Very sad

Ethnicity:I'm a mutt, easy way to say it is Europe.

Religion: The golden rules.

Pets: None

Drink/Smoke: Drinks occasionally doesn't smoke..except when I catch myself on fire but haven't done that for years.

Dislikes: working nights and rude people

Favorite anime: Clannad, Black Lagoon

Favorite Manga (Light novels): Berserk

Favorite Books: Enjoyed the Winston Churchill's books on World War 2

Favorite game: Final Fantasy 7, Fear

Favorite TV shows/Movies: Better off Dead, Top Gear, Due South

Favorite Drink: Rum & Coke

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Milk, water, Orange Juice, soda

Favorite Foods: Edible...and non-spicy

Favorite Sites: Animenewsnetwork, Right Stuf, Fidelity, Funimation

Favorite Sport (to play):Basketball

Favorite Music: Anything but rap and country...so classic, rock, heavy metal, classical, Celtic

Job: Hospitality/Night Auditor....but soon to be something else.

Hobbies: Video games, use to drive around, reading

Favorite Quotes:
Quote:
I'm in a strange environment, surrounded by people who probably want to kick my @$$, it's like being back in High School.
Johnny Cage, Mortal Kombat (movie)

And that's pretty much me.
iamalive

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to the forums, By_the_Jelly_Beans?.

Y'know, you remind me of me. Just older Razz
By_the_Jelly_Beans?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
iamalive wrote:
Y'know, you remind me of me. Just older Razz

I really have no idea how to respond to that. I want to make a bad joke but that's just because I can't come up with a good one. Confused

Thanks for welcoming me here. Looking forward to the forums, lot more active than the other site I use.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:
egoist wrote:
Knoepfchen wrote:
Thank you.

I'm from the northern part of Germany, close to Hamburg.

What a coincidence, I live next door in Cheeseburg.

and my cousin lived down the road in Frankfurt Razz

No kidding, and my wife is from Franshire!
Kamaduck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
sex: female

religion: Roman Catholic

likes: Anime, other cartoons, books, video games, movies- ah, forget it. Fiction in general, especially speculative fiction. Adores writing. Also, science.

dislikes: Bad writing. Math. (What do you mean, I need it for science?) Not being able to figure out computers.

favorite anime: Princess Tutu, Fullmetal Alchemist, Soul Eater, Kino's Journey, Planetes (even though I haven't finished it yet...)

favorite manga: Fruits Basket.

favorite books: Ender series, Lord of the Rings, 1984, Pride and Prejudice, Animorphs series (One of these things is not like the others...)

favorite game: 3rd gen Pokemon games, Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones (Do tabletop RPG's count? Pathfinder FTW)

has been an anime fan for: Almost two years. Evangelion was my gateway drug.
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Kamaduck wrote:

favorite anime: Princess Tutu, Fullmetal Alchemist, Soul Eater, Kino's Journey, Planetes (even though I haven't finished it yet...)

favorite manga: Fruits Basket.

favorite books: Ender series, Lord of the Rings, 1984, Pride and Prejudice, Animorphs series (One of these things is not like the others...)

You have fantastic taste! Welcome to the forums! Anime smile

Also, high five, fellow Catholic! Very Happy
Kamaduck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

You have fantastic taste! Welcome to the forums!

Also, high five, fellow Catholic!

Thanks. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop *high fives*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 171 of 233