• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Amasa wrote:
You dislike Ghandi!?

Yes, if you study his personal life at all you realize he's little more than a delusional and hypocritical political terrorist. Honestly, I was pretty surprised myself, but I took a couple Indian history classes... Gandhi's real philosophy and role in history is not explained at all in the US, they just treat him like some great historical leader, he wasn't. A "leader" yes, but the only thing he was "great" at was spouting hypocritical and religious rhetoric to play off of people's fears and religious beliefs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
The one interesting thing (more of that useless crap going on in my brain) I noticed is your favorite drink is Whiskey. Nagisa said the same I believe. I wonder if that's the "moderator drink of choice" here.

You see, that's how they originally found out about my "potential" as a moderator.

Well hell, considering my whiskey and scotch collection from around the world I should own ANN then lol. Wink (That's really just a joke so any staff please don't get offended)

selenta wrote:
Amasa wrote:
You dislike Ghandi!?

Yes, if you study his personal life at all you realize he's little more than a delusional and hypocritical political terrorist. Honestly, I was pretty surprised myself, but I took a couple Indian history classes... Gandhi's real philosophy and role in history is not explained at all in the US, they just treat him like some great historical leader, he wasn't. A "leader" yes, but the only thing he was "great" at was spouting hypocritical and religious rhetoric to play off of people's fears and religious beliefs.

I wanted to just respond in awe and disbelief at you. I mean this is "Ghandi" we're talking about. However, seeing as how you've taken Indian history classes and came to this conclusion through education on the subjectI think I want to do some research myself. This surprises me and I want to find out more myself. Are there any recommendations for books, beyond school text books I'd obviously not be able to get, you might remember that would be helpful?
SLL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
Hejsan allesammans!

That's Swedish for Hello everybody!

My name is Marcus and I'm 30 years old. I live in Linköping which is the fifth biggest city in Sweden, with my girlfriend and our two "critters" aka children... Wink

I work in the medical service department (psychiatry). On my sparetime I like to just sit back and relax together with friends and family. I also like to see a lot of good anime and to read loads of good manga. Once in a while i also like to read some Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Horror literature and watch countless of movies.

I have had my affection for anime and manga since the first time I saw the studio ghibli movie Grave of the Fireflies on Swedish television way back in the days. And that's pretty much when my interest for anime, manga and Japanese popular culture started. It hasn't faded since.

I can't come up with anything more to write right now, but if there's anything that you want to know, don't hesitate, ask me. Smile
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I wanted to just respond in awe and disbelief at you. I mean this is "Ghandi" we're talking about. However, seeing as how you've taken Indian history classes and came to this conclusion through education on the subjectI think I want to do some research myself. This surprises me and I want to find out more myself. Are there any recommendations for books, beyond school text books I'd obviously not be able to get, you might remember that would be helpful?

There's no better source to see how serious his issues are than to read what he wrote and swore by until his death. Here's a copy of his Hind Swaraj, I advise you to read a good deal of it before you start to judge him, assuming you can stomach his writing style. This link should work.

http://files-upload.com/files/483554/gandhi.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Alright, so I just decided to go ahead and update my profile with a new pic! Very Happy This time it's one with the new-look me, with all of that long hair chopped off! Shocked
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:13 am Reply with quote
Thanks Selenta. I assume by your words it's a long read so I'm going to wait til later to read it when I have more time to devote to it and actually "read" it and concentrate. I'll also try and remember your advice and keep my thoughts neutral until I've read a good portion of it.

Like the new doo BrotherElric. Saw it on ANN-FF and forgot to comment on it. The slightly darker color works remarkably well actually I think. Nice look. Wink
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:33 am Reply with quote
Nooo, BrothersElric, you cut off your hair! Crying or Very sad Ah, you look great either way. Wink

I updated my picture, too.
larinon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Nooo, BrothersElric, you cut off your hair! Crying or Very sad Ah, you look great either way. Wink

I updated my picture, too.

I just noticed when I clicked on the links to your favorite anime and manga, it doesn't specify a user so it defaults to my own (which don't exist as it happens). Just letting you know in case you want to fix it.

Also, looks like you have some unruliness going on with your hair there, is it the weather? It's been abnormally humid here, so every day when I'm a half hour into a lecture I'm already dripping with sweat. It's annoying!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Like the new doo BrotherElric. Saw it on ANN-FF and forgot to comment on it. The slightly darker color works remarkably well actually I think. Nice look. Wink

Thanks. Smile It's actually the same natural color it always has been though. It probably has something to do with the lighting maybe.

AG wrote:

Yeah, I know! Anime cry I didn't want to do it at all, but unfortunately there were certain people who wouldn't stop bugging me about it until I did. Sad Thanks for the comment though, I guess I'm good either way myself. Wink

BTW once again you look very cute in in your new pic AG! Smile
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
I just noticed when I clicked on the links to your favorite anime and manga, it doesn't specify a user so it defaults to my own (which don't exist as it happens). Just letting you know in case you want to fix it.

Oh, thanks for letting me know! I accidently copied the link from my login. I hope it works now. As for my hair, it's a completely new style, so I'm trying it out. Like I said, though, I was tired... Embarassed (At least it looks better during the day, and even more so than it was originally.)
meatbun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
Name: Just call me "meatbun"

Sex: female

Blood Type: 0+

Marital Status: married for 13.5 years, no kids (we're a childless by choice couple)

Ethnicity: Filipino-American

Religion: None. Was raised a Catholic if that means anything.

Pets: None.

Drink/Smoke: No.

Likes: friendly people of all ages and backgrounds, the sound of rain

Dislikes: phoney people, bigots, racism, spiders, extreme heights

Favorite anime: Saiyuki (all of them), Ghost in the Shell (all), Samurai 7, Hellsing, Pokemon, Lucky Star

Favorite Manga: the Saiyuki series

Favorite Books: State of Denial: Bush at War, Part III by Bob Woodward , New Rules by Bill Maher, Democracy Matters: Winning the Fight Against Imperialism by Cornel West

Favorite game: Doom, Quake, Half-Life, hidden object games

Favorite TV shows/Movies: Real Time with Bill Maher, Dexter, Ghost Hunters, any ghost/paranormal and prison documentaries

Favorite Drink: I don't drink

Non-Alcoholic Drink: water, coffee

Favorite Foods: any Indian Food, french fries are my kryptonite, ramen noodles

Favorite Sites: Animenewsnetwork, eBay, animecrave, angrygirls
Favorite Sport (to watch):Formula One Racing, NFL Football

Favorite Sport (to play): None. I do work out daily (running, elliptical)

Favorite Music: anything really except country and teenie-bopper music

Job Demographic: licensed pharmacy technician

Hobbies: making my own anime Saiyuki messenger bags, travel, shopping, politics, my husband, exercising

Fun facts about Meatbun: I've been collecting Pikachu cards since 1996

Favorite Quotes: "You Saying I'm Corrupt?" Genjyo Sanzo of Saiyuki
GlowInTheDarkSoul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
A little about me-

Name- Shawn

Sex- Male

Blood Type- Dunno

Age- 33

Location- Dallas, TX

Marital Status- Happily Married

Ethnicity- White American Mutt

Religion- Christian

Pets- Three cats: Crow, Callie and Coco. Hooray for alliteration.

Drink/Smoke- Yes/No.

Likes- Stuff

Dislikes- Stuff

Favorite Anime- Cowboy Bebop, Niea_7, Galaxy Express 999, Genshiken, Zeta Gundam

Favorite Manga- Berserk, Deathnote, Bleach, Please Save My Earth, Priest

Favorite Books- Our Band Could Be Your Life, the works of Chuck Klosterman, lame sci fi stuff

Favorite Games- Resident Evil, Resident Evil 4, Super Metroid, Grim Fandango, Space Quest I-III

Favorite TV Shows- The Kids in the Hall, Futurama, Carnivale, Deadwood, Dr. Who, The Office, My Name is Earl

Favorite Movies- The Star Wars Saga, Spinal Tap, Rushmore, High Fidelity, various music and sports documentaries

Favorite Drink- Beer, I'm not too picky. A good microbrew is nice, but I'm just as happy with a Lone Star or Miller High Life

Favorite Non Alcoholic Drink- 7 Up, Dr Pepper

Favorite Food- Mexican, Sushi, Whataburger

Favorite Sport (to watch)- College and pro football, auto racing (NASCAR is my favorite, but I also like Formula One and IRL)

Favorite Sport (to play/participate)- Skateboarding, Golf (seriously), Mountain Biking

Favorite Music- Metal (Slayer, Nile, Iron Maiden, etc...) 80's Indie/Alternative (New Order, The Smiths, My Bloody Valentine, etc...) Garage Rock (The Greenhornes, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Brian Jonestown Massacre) and all kinds of other stuff

Job- Non Profit

Hobbies- I've pretty much already discussed them

Fun Facts- They may be facts, but they ain't fun.
jsscax3rchard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
hi all!(:
Name ;; i go my jessica(:
Sex ;; i am a GIRL.Very Happy
Blood Type ;; O
Location ;; sunny san diego.
Marital Status ;; taken. boyfriend(:
Age ;; i am.. 15. -________-
Ethnicity ;; i'm mestisa(: half filipina; half white.
Religion ;; i believe in god?
Pet ;; i love my dog<3(:
Drink/Smoke ;; not gonna lie, i've tried both but i don't smoke. rarely drink.
Likes ;; kickit parties<3, late night hang outs. i like to have fun.
Dislikes ;; annoying things.c[:
Favorite Manga ;; my heart belongs to fruits basket<3(:
Favorite Books ;; elfstones of shannara.
Favorite game ;; i like rpg type games!Very Happy ds lite &psp<3
Favorite Movie ;; a walk to remember!Very Happy
Favorite Drink ;; i'll down boba &a smoothie no problem!Very Happy
Favorite Foods ;; i'll survive off of fruit. then meat(<
Favorite Sites ;; myspace! Very Happy
Favorite Music ;; i like hyphy &hip hop. slow jams &rnb(:
Fun facts ;;
-- i get in trouble too much for texting.-___- &staying out too late.
-- i surprise too many of my classmates because i play wow &360 games.
-- i've lost too many in my short lifetime."/
-- I LIKE TO PARTY!(:
-- the few things i can't have fun without are ::
kickbutt friends, iPod, cellphone, camera. dslite &psp<3
Pictures ;;
my boyfriend(:
my bestfriends<3
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Welcome GlowInTheDarkSoul, jsscax3rchard, and meatbun to ANN where anime is not just a hobby, but a source of addiction and social outcast. Shocked There's no going back now, you're stuck here with us. Laughing As part of your welcome it's my job to give you your mystery welcome bags for joining us. ::hands them each a brown bag:: Today we have such wonderful items as a handful of pits from some black olives, a small collection of various zippers varying in size, labels from a dozen different water bottle companies, scrapings from a dozen slices of burnt toast, and as a special gift a small container for each of you each containing pieces of Bill Belichick integrity (he won't need it). May you cherish these gifts forever. While you enjoy yourselves here don't forget; Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock.
Ashez

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:25 am Reply with quote
saying hello but I'd rather skip the surprise bag psycho, I'm guessing your the one filling em... Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 32 of 233