• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Persona 4: The Animation (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkslayer709

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Anyway, it's a shame TAN's subs are dubtitles.

That sucks.
I don't even want to watch the anime because I am not done with the game yet. Hell just looking up Teddy and Persona 4 on Youtube spoiled me on a bit of the story.

To be fair the game spoils that as well. If you leave it on the start menu it starts running a trailer for the game and you see it there too. There are plenty of other surprises in store though.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Anyway, it's a shame TAN's subs are dubtitles.

That sucks.
I don't even want to watch the anime because I am not done with the game yet. Hell just looking up Teddy and Persona 4 on Youtube spoiled me on a bit of the story.

Well, how far into the game are you? Considering we have 24 episodes to go, and it shouldn't take half a year to beat even a long game like Persona 4, I don't think you should be worried about spoilers. It's highly doubtful they'd spoil any twists much earlier than when they're revealed in the game.

I'm almost done with June in the game. Out of curiosity I checked out the first episode and figure the first 7-10 episodes will be safe for me but regardless of how long it will take me to beat the game I will only seriously pick up this anime after I've finished the game.

Quote:
To be fair the game spoils that as well. If you leave it on the start menu it starts running a trailer for the game and you see it there too. There are plenty of other surprises in store though.

Well what is shown during the trailers does not contain the spoiler I saw on YouTube. The spoiler spoiler[there was about Kuma being outside the TV in a human body.] I shut YT down pretty fast after seeing that.
darkslayer709

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Quote:

Well what is shown during the trailers does not contain the spoiler I saw on YouTube. The spoiler spoiler[there was about Kuma being outside the TV in a human body.] I shut YT down pretty fast after seeing that.

Ah, yeah I see what you mean, I thought you were just referring to spoiler[Shadow Teddie] which is previewed in the game trailer, my bad.
4750G

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
I liked the first episode, it looked really cool and interesting, but I never played the game so there are parts I don't really get. I don't even know what this 'persona' in the title is supposed to be. I guess I'll find out while I continue watching. Hopefully it does a good job of explaining the plot to those who are watching the anime but haven't played the game. I've seen shows that will lose you completely unless you've played the game or read the book they were based from.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote
4750G wrote:
I liked the first episode, it looked really cool and interesting, but I never played the game so there are parts I don't really get. I don't even know what this 'persona' in the title is supposed to be. I guess I'll find out while I continue watching. Hopefully it does a good job of explaining the plot to those who are watching the anime but haven't played the game. I've seen shows that will lose you completely unless you've played the game or read the book they were based from.

Other than skipping a bit of "let's give exposition while walking home" scenes and such, and moving a bit near the end around, the anime's not too far off from the game. I'm kinda surprised you don't at least know what a Persona is (as opposed to understanding what it means) by the end of the episode, as I felt it was pretty self explanatory.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm trying to finish the game (I'm in December now), but with 24 episodes, I think I can avoid being spoiled on anything else. So far, I really like the anime...animation's pretty good, they're pretty faithful to the game (OK, so yeah, I was nerdraging at the screen spoiler[over the fact that MC Sensei got his shadow the first time rather than over by the shadow liquor store. I couldn't help myself!]) but I like it so far and I'm looking forward to the choices they make. And come on, spoiler[if you're not gonna pair MC with Chie, then she and Brosuke need to get together!!]
4750G

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
4750G wrote:

Other than skipping a bit of "let's give exposition while walking home" scenes and such, and moving a bit near the end around, the anime's not too far off from the game. I'm kinda surprised you don't at least know what a Persona is (as opposed to understanding what it means) by the end of the episode, as I felt it was pretty self explanatory.

I only know of 'persona' as far as psychology goes. I'm guessing the persona here refers to that thing that appeared from the card..... so then what does the number 4 mean? He'll have four personas? Why am I even asking, I'll just watch. Rolling Eyes
swienke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
4750G wrote:
I only know of 'persona' as far as psychology goes. I'm guessing the persona here refers to that thing that appeared from the card..... so then what does the number 4 mean? He'll have four personas? Why am I even asking, I'll just watch. Rolling Eyes

Although I haven't played any of the games I know a fair bit about them, and yes, the personas are basically supposed to be the physical manifestations of the character's psyches.

Also, the 4 in the title just refers to the fact that this series is based off of the fourth Persona game, but I don't think you really have to know much about the previous games in order to understand what will happen in this series.

All in all, I definitely enjoyed this episode, though it did feel kind of rushed at times. Based on what everyone else has said about how they cut out a lot of the character interactions from the start of the game, I think this series would've benefited from an hour long first episode, like Fate/Zero, but I'm mostly satisfied nonetheless.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Yes, personae are what appear from the cards and are part of the character's personality that summoned it. In Persona there are over 170(various mythological beings from across history like Loki, Cereberus, and Cu Chulainn) persona divided among the 22 Major Arcana from the Tarot deck. So 4 on the card would represent The Emperor and 0(the arcana the MC has) represents The Fool.
4750G

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
swienke and ArsenicSteel, thanks a lot. Smile
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:28 am Reply with quote
Never played the game so I can't comment on how well it fits/doesn't fit with the original story. All I know is that I like what I see so far so I'll stick around. Actually found the MC to be quite boring up until spoiler[he got his persona powers] so I was glad to see a bit of personality show for a minute. Though from reading comments I guess that chart that appeared in the show will be a reading for how his personality develops as the story progresses?
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure I would say that the chart is how his personality develops or not (it's your status screen that shows Expression, Diligence, Courage, Knowledge... crap, forgot the last one, I've been maxed for too long), but I could see them developing his personality as the parameters increase.

Looking both as a fan of the game and at the anime on its own merits, I do have to say that I absolutely loathe the apathetic-bordering-on-rude attitude Yu has. I can't say that I'd continue watching, if I didn't know the game, because of that. In the game, since he's a silent protag, you can project and interpret a lot of different personality aspects to him. I always saw him in the beginning of the game as more "fish out of water/go with the flow" until he started to settle more than the utter apathetic "I don't care" attitude in the game. That's probably my biggest complaint.
Napsack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if they plan to pair the MC with anyone yet or just leave that out. Would be a shame as it's as much a part of the game as the rest of the story is.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Napsack wrote:
Does anyone know if they plan to pair the MC with anyone yet or just leave that out. Would be a shame as it's as much a part of the game as the rest of the story is.

If they do, it'll probably be that new girl they created just for the anime as to not piss off all the shippers/game fans by making one of those pairings 'canon'.

But Yu x Rise would be nice as well...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Napsack wrote:

If they do, it'll probably be that new girl they created just for the anime as to not piss off all the shippers/game fans by making one of those pairings 'canon'.

There's a new girl in the anime? When was this confirmed? And unless there's the unlikely event she's written very well, Yu ending up with her would piss me, and probably most fans, off more as opposed to him ending up with one of the canon girls. Personally, I like all 4 female leads equally, so whoever they go for, if any, is fine by me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11