• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mangakas' attitudes toward fanworks

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I put it here, but feel free to discuss about all known cases.
Fanworks are usually a grey area. It's considered that creator doesn't mind non-profit fanworks as long as he doesn't make a statement to deny it. ATM I remember that Anne Rice and George Martin doesn't want their works to be a base for fanfiction.

What about mangakas? Wiki says
Quote:
In Japan, the dōjinshi subculture is similar to a combination of the United States subcultures surrounding underground comics, science fiction fanzines, and fan fiction. Many dōjinshi works are manga-format fan fiction, which in Japan is, while not strictly legal, generally tolerated and usually encouraged, being looked upon as a form of free advertising or a breeding ground for new talent, most famously the group CLAMP and Love Hina author Ken Akamatsu.

but were there any exceptions? Where there cases where magaka or anime company appreciated or forbid certain forms of fan creativity?
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
If I had to guess, I'd say Miyzaki.. he's a bit of stickler about... everything. Razz But that's just a guess.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure about Miyazaki, but I do know that Rumiko Takahashi started her career drawing doujinshi manga. I believe Hitoshi Okuda, who drew the Tenchi Muyo manga adaptation, was quite famous in the world of doujin work before becoming a professional.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:21 am Reply with quote
I know its not uncommon at all to read that many successful mangaka actually started out in doujin, I think even the great Monkey Punch started as a doujin artist. And there are even more extreme cases where mangaka will continue to make doujin such as Kazushi Hagiwara (creator of Bastard!!) who will actually make doujin based on Bastard!!.

As for cases where doujin creators have had legal action taken against them I know there are cases like that out there. The only one off the top of my head is the case about a guy that got sued by Nintendo for making Pokemon hentai. Also according to wiki and the subsequent article that it linked to said that there was a instance involving a man that created a "final chapter" of Doraemon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:23 am Reply with quote
I do remember reading in some side columns in Fushigi Yuugi that Yuu Watase specifically didn't start out as a doujinshi artist. She also said, if I remember correctly, that she was fine with them as long as you sent her a copy! Laughing
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:49 am Reply with quote
Not all doujinshi is based on copyrighted work. There is a lot of completely original doujinshi. So the fact that some famous mangaka started with doujinshi is not necessarily relevant.

I have some Ken Akamatsu doujinshi that is based on Magic Knight Rayearth, Agent Aika, Cardcaptor Sakura, Eva, Nadesico, and a few that I am not quite sure about. So he is definitely relevant.
After seeing what he did with Sakura Embarassed I have trouble believing that CLAMP approved, but they might be more liberal than I think.
One thing that this doujinshi proved to me is that Ken Akamatsu actually does know how to draw a nipple. After several dozen volumes of Love Hina and Negima I was beginning to have doubts about that. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:10 am Reply with quote
I have also heard that certain artists also draw unlicensed doujinshi of their own work in order to play out stories that wouldn't otherwise meet editorial guidelines. Is there any truth to this?"
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:17 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
I have also heard that certain artists also draw unlicensed doujinshi of their own work in order to play out stories that wouldn't otherwise meet editorial guidelines. Is there any truth to this?"

I heard about this one too.

For example: the author wanted the protagonists to die in the endbut the editor wanted the ending to be happy and that's what got published. So they made a doujinshi where they did die as an alternate ending and sold it at Comiket under a pseudonym.
The truth was only uncovered online BBS when fans thought the art was *too* similar but the author would always deny accusations to maintain a clean face with the publishing company.

Dunno where I heard it/read it but it seems plausible.
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
While I'm not particularly familiar with that example, it sounds totally plausible and exactly what I was talking about. I can even think of a few mangaka that I suspect could be the ones in the story.
detectiveai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Didn't CLAMP try to outlaw fanworks? Or unauthorized use of their images, at least?
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote
While I have never heard that they have, I would find that rather shocking considering that they started as a doujinshi manga group themselves. I understood them as fan artists.
hack_benjamin22

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:

I know this is correct in the case of Maki Murakami, the author of Gravitation. She wrote some extremely explicit doujinshi featuring the characters of her story.
Genet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
detectiveai wrote:
Didn't CLAMP try to outlaw fanworks? Or unauthorized use of their images, at least?
'

Oh, heavens no. That would be really hypocritical of 'em.

The Doraemon incident, I believe was because it sold some massive amounts of copies, like huuuge, and that's what kinda pissed Shogakukan off.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:25 am Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
As for cases where doujin creators have had legal action taken against them I know there are cases like that out there. The only one off the top of my head is the case about a guy that got sued by Nintendo for making Pokemon hentai. Also according to wiki and the subsequent article that it linked to said that there was a instance involving a man that created a "final chapter" of Doraemon.

This would explain why I never see any Pocket Monsters CG sets up on DLsite (a site where Japanese artists can put up CG sets for people to buy.. make money off their work.. mostly hentai CG sets, movies, digital doujins, games, eroge, etc, but some non-hentai stuff as well) yet I can find Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh, PreCure, and various others... I guess those companies don't care as much.. so Pocket Monsters artists have to find other ways to get their stuff out there. I always wondered if I couldn't find sets on there because of the site getting a letter from some companies telling them not to sell stuff based on their work there (definitely isn't because they're not popular or anything)
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote
I think it depends on the Manga-ka, some probably get a good chuckle out of it, some probably even enjoy it. Then I'm sure theres those that get fairly ticked off by it. (I would think those who work on childrens or all ages series might not be that found of the more explicit fan works of their chars.)

But yeah overall I would say its probably a mixed bag, some most likely enjoy it while others don't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1