• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - 2007-12-03

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Who are you guys gonna get for a "Larry King"? Very Happy

That is...if you're gonna do a news talk show.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I was at work when I first viewed it and couldn't listen to the audio, but now that I can hear them I think they did very good. However get them to slow the pace down and try to emphasise words and use those punctuations to their advantage. I'm guessing they are using Autocue, or Autoscript, and that's fine. If so, remember they are reading it and they should have control over how fast it scrolls no matter who is scrolling it for them. Go with their pace, not yours. If they find it's going up too fast, they have the right to demand it's slowed. Rehearsing is always best as it's then changes can be made if something doesn't make sense, or one of them is having trouble pronouncing a word, or phrase. It happens to the pros. Unless you are going live, then it's adlib and everything goes out as is, that's expected and when true professionalism shines. If both can get elocution lessons, that too will be a plus as nearly every person who professionally reports in front of a camera has had them, they are that invaluable.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote
the hosts were very lacking in personality, but i guess they're still getting used to the whole thing. also the backdrop was kinda cheesy. overall, it has potential.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Finally I have even more reason to visit ANN. Not that I don't visit it everyday anyway. And I do mean I check it everyday.

This will be good as it will give fans a more in the face look and understanding of news articles. Not to mention too lazy to read an article.

I love the OP intro. I hope this will get bigger and do small coverages on new shows and their impact on Japaneses fans (TV ratings).

Keep up the good work.

Oh can anyone translate what the "noob" said?

Last edited by Chrno2 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I take it Justin this was part of that new stuff you mentioned previously that would be coming up media wise? I think it's a nice idea and while it is a work in progress I think it could be something very entertaining. I hate to simply just parot others but I agree the two behind the camera could work on their delivery a bit. Though I will say the enthusiasm I saw personally was a plus in my opinion. I think if the NYAF goes well it would be ncie next year to see more video coverage at more of the larger cons ANN attends.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the feedback everybody, good and bad. (Mohawk52's were especially helpful, as he comes from a professional background.)

A lot of the issues with this one were us just running out of time. The first time out, we have to kind of invent the wheel. Things generally start to smooth themselves out from there.

100% agreed on the background. Hopefully I'll have a better backdrop ready by our next studio shoot. That background wasn't really meant to be used as it was. In the future it'll only be used for cut-aways as backgrounds photos and the like.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious, assuming all goes well is this intended to be something you guys do at many of the larger cons ANN goes to in a year?
billyarnie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I'm curious, assuming all goes well is this intended to be something you guys do at many of the larger cons ANN goes to in a year?

My understanding is the ANN TV spots are planned as weekly. A podcast is in the future, but Justin could say how near or far away that is. Also, this was to introduce us to ANN TV & prepare us for reports from the NYAF (New York Anime Festival). I think they had some video reports from Anime Boston or one of the other major cons earlier in the year, which could have been the prototype for ANN TV & the upcoming NYAF reports.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Some short memories in this thread; we had extensive video coverage of both AX and Otakon this year, including panels, main events and cosplay. We'll be doing that and more in the future.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Thanks for the feedback everybody, good and bad. (Mohawk52's were especially helpful, as he comes from a professional background.)

A lot of the issues with this one were us just running out of time. The first time out, we have to kind of invent the wheel. Things generally start to smooth themselves out from there.

100% agreed on the background. Hopefully I'll have a better backdrop ready by our next studio shoot. That background wasn't really meant to be used as it was. In the future it'll only be used for cut-aways as backgrounds photos and the like.
If you are talking about your graphic background, there was nothing wrong with it. Even the set was fine, just that we didn't need to see it. Chromakey green is fine anytime, but not on it's own, and that colour is also available as a paint. Also most mixers, or switchers will clip out that colour without the need for much light on the green so no need to light it very brightly, just evenly with no shadows from the presenters key lights, which you obviously did as the chromakey looked good, and would have been even better with a back light on each presenter. It also gets rid of the effect of green splash, as seen along the edge of their body.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Who is that on the couch, he looks familiar? But the camera is to shaky and fast to be sure.

Uh, as for the show, I thought it was good. I don't think I can expand on any of the wonderful comments before me as I have zero expertise in this sort of thing. I will say this, sometimes the reading was stiff. And I also hope some more original content comes into the mix, or someone like me and many others would have no reason to watch.

Also, are you guys going to try to pitch a 15 minute weekly news spot to one of the anime channels with this at the festival?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Congrats on the first episode. I hope that this production will grow to its fullest. As for the hosts, I would say that they need more character and put some more feeling into their presentation. The segment was indeed informative, I did not find much problem with that. I would just say that it needs a little more pizzazz. To me right now, it's not much better then a Grade 9 kid standing in front his class reading a piece of paper that he just typed up late last night. Of course you guys just started so right now you have to get the necessities with your budget , but I would say for future reference to get some props like a table, couch, etc. As well ,it was probably mentioned before, is to get an Answerman segment. Lastly I would probably like to see a segment for us anime fans. Such as showing pictures of cosplay, drawings, etc.

Oh yes if it's not too much to ask have an OP/ED with all of you dancing with a catchy tune. Something along the lines like TMoHS/Lucky Star. Smile
Gage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
This is certainly a sign of ANN expanding in the community. It has come a long way since 1997 as an Internet hobby website, to a powerful online community and press distributor, convention sponsors, and now ANN is moving to video. Justin should feel proud of his creation here and as members we should thank those who keep Anime News Network up and running on a daily basis to keep fans happy, content, and taking one further step in future expansion! *cheers*
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, good job ANN. My inner critic says that the colour scheme was dull, and that it would have been better to have the (awesome, btw!) hosts sitting behind a desk or something, instead of standing up, which just seems unprofessional. But, of course, this was the first episode, I didn't expect perfection, and I've no doubt ANN-TV will go from strength to strength! Can't wait for more episodes!

Last edited by CitizenGeek on Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
hamtaroboy2006

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I liked it. The show was very informative and I learn some things that I hadn't found out about on the site. I'd like to see the production value increase a bit more and a few more categories like maybe anime related video game news. (Like say reviews)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6