Forum - View topic
If, Then, Or: One Piece


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
050795



Joined: 27 Mar 2009
Posts: 230
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah you don't get more over the top then Gurren Lagann. Laughing
Gintama has been on my to watch list for a while now, and after reading this I think I will move it to the top of my list.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 7826
Location: IL
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Zolo?

Did I time-warp back to 2005?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sewingrose
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 11 Jan 2011
Posts: 522
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote
What if my favorite part was the imaginative and impressive world building? Or the passion-fueled character development? Or the whole political subtext? Or the amount of research Oda did into the history of Piracy? Or the quintessence of a gleeful child-hood wistfulness to play pirates for real?

Not that I don't like Gurren Lagann, and I've been meaning to give Gintama a try, but I think One Piece is a lot more then the sum of it's parts, especially when half the parts aren't considered.

This column intrigues me though, and I might see what the next one or two say before I pass judgment on weather I shall keep reading.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zeo1fan



Joined: 02 Sep 2011
Posts: 1016
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
What if my favorite part was the imaginative and impressive world building? Or the passion-fueled character development? Or the whole political subtext? Or the amount of research Oda did into the history of Piracy? Or the quintessence of a gleeful child-hood wistfulness to play pirates for real?

Not that I don't like Gurren Lagann, and I've been meaning to give Gintama a try, but I think One Piece is a lot more then the sum of it's parts, especially when half the parts aren't considered.

This column intrigues me though, and I might see what the next one or two say before I pass judgment on weather I shall keep reading.


Completely agree. One Piece is my favorite anime, and there's definitely more to it than what was mentioned. Not the least of which being the balance between epic stories and character relationships, the pacing, and the excellent writing. Anime smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
leafy sea dragon



Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 7163
Location: Another Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
I think One Piece took off in Japan because of the off-putting-to-westerners art style. There's nothing quite like it in Japan, where drawing styles tend to be pretty narrow compared to western animation. (You're not going to mistake Homer Simpson for Elmer Fudd, even if you've only seen each character once in your life.) In a land where everyone's up to their eyeballs in similar-looking anime, Eiichiro Oda is not afraid of drawing inspiration from western sources for his character design, which I'm sure turns him into something of a Marcel Duchamp over there.

I mean, after all, if One Piece's art style is off-putting in the west, then Hiro Mashima's work would be too because the two have very similar drawing styles. But Oda and Mashima are two of today's most successful manga authors, despite having pretty different storytelling approaches.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Max465



Joined: 08 Jun 2011
Posts: 60
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote
See, I like the idea of these articles, but it needs to be done better. I don't mean writing. I really enjoy that. What I'm bothered by is the recommendations.

I was like, Oooh, One Piece. A Main Stream Anime that I dropped because it was never ending. Maybe I'll like something similar. Both your recommendations are more Main Stream Anime that majority people watch, or have at least tried. Gurren Lagann is good, and reasonable length, but it's popular. Most people have seen it. Try recommending something people haven't seen.

Gintama, another never ending series I dropped because it was too long. That doesn't help me. Also once again it's popular. Not quite a popular as Gurren Lagann, but it's still in the category of Main Stream. Hence over 200 episodes(is it 300 now? I dunno.).

All in all, I really hope to see this become a good column for me to get into anime I wouldn't otherwise watch, but until then, it's just recommending more of the stuff I already watched.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
InnocentSorrow59



Joined: 12 Aug 2010
Posts: 156
Location: Los Angeles, CA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
Max465 wrote:
See, I like the idea of these articles, but it needs to be done better. I don't mean writing. I really enjoy that. What I'm bothered by is the recommendations.

I was like, Oooh, One Piece. A Main Stream Anime that I dropped because it was never ending. Maybe I'll like something similar. Both your recommendations are more Main Stream Anime that majority people watch, or have at least tried. Gurren Lagann is good, and reasonable length, but it's popular. Most people have seen it. Try recommending something people haven't seen.

Gintama, another never ending series I dropped because it was too long. That doesn't help me. Also once again it's popular. Not quite a popular as Gurren Lagann, but it's still in the category of Main Stream. Hence over 200 episodes(is it 300 now? I dunno.).


All in all, I really hope to see this become a good column for me to get into anime I wouldn't otherwise watch, but until then, it's just recommending more of the stuff I already watched.


That sounds... Dumb. I mean- complaining about an anime being mainstream is pretty dumb. It's a recommendation after all, as in it'll list things that are well known.
But I see your point.

I can't agree with this list either. Not to say I don't love Gintama. It's one of my top favorites, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to a One Piece fan. The same with Gurren Lagann.

I'd recommend Fairy Tail (cliche but entertaining), Rave Master (art is a bit 'meh' in the manga but a good series overall with lots of imagination), Toriko, and possibly a few video game-based anime series like Tales of the Abyss.

Frankly, when I think Gurren Lagann, I think pointless violence, which makes me think Bleach and Sengoku BASARA. Not One Piece.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4036
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:02 am Reply with quote
The comedy is kind of what killed my interest in One Piece. Like it says, Oda refuses to take it seriously, so I wondered why I should either and ended up drifting off from it. It's popularity stems from it eggs the Dragonball formula a heck of a lot, which is a big name over there. Out of all the current shounen protagonists, Luffy is the most unrelatable and stupidest, akin to Goku

Last edited by TitanXL on Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
UltimaShadowfax



Joined: 03 Mar 2004
Posts: 275
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
I really liked this column. Was this the first one? I don't see a list of it in the views page. I hope there will be more in the future!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Asuron



Joined: 26 Mar 2010
Posts: 56
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:37 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
The comedy is kind of what killed my interest in One Piece. Like it says, Oda refuses to take it seriously, so I wondered why I should either and ended up drifting off from it. It's popularity stems from it eggs the Dragonball formula a heck of a lot, which is a big name over there. Out of all the current shounen protagonists, Luffy is the most unrelatable and stupidest, akin to Goku


But he does take it seriously? Having fun doesn't mean you can't be serious in your stories and in many arcs, starting up from Baratie the drama kicks in big time. Its about gleeful adventure, not about brooding characters in a "realistic" and depressing world. Its the same type of complaints people level at Tiger & Bunny and its always the complaint that misses the point of what's actually being shown.

I also wasn't aware that One Piece characters powered up and saved the galaxy repeatedly from increasingly weirder monsters? Seems kinda hard to find the time when your sailing from island to island on your way to find the greatest treasure in the world ....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
egoist



Joined: 20 Jun 2008
Posts: 7762
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:13 am Reply with quote
This has to be the best recommendation I've ever seen.

And of course I've seen all of the 3.

TitanXL wrote:
Like it says, Oda refuses to take it seriously, so I wondered why I should either and ended up drifting off from it.

Huh, someone didn't watch more than a dozen episodes. Tell us a few facts, I don't really wanna call you foolish for judging a 500 episode (going to over 1000) anime based on 20 or so first episodes.

At least unlike other massive stuff where the writer create as they go (Dragon Ball, Inuyasha, and perhaps Bleach and Naruto? which do seem to), Oda has it planned out and you can feel it, so it doesn't feel like you're watching some mediocre fanfiction (which is what I feel when I watch those 4, well, at least fanfiction writers have more imagination than the creators of the last 3).

InnocentSorrow59 wrote:
I can't agree with this list either. Not to say I don't love Gintama. It's one of my top favorites, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to a One Piece fan. The same with Gurren Lagann.

I'd recommend Fairy Tail (cliche but entertaining), Rave Master (art is a bit 'meh' in the manga but a good series overall with lots of imagination), Toriko, and possibly a few video game-based anime series like Tales of the Abyss.

Thank god you don't write for this site then.

You don't really have to question why the lady recommended those 2, since the headline says everything.
"Over-the-Top Adventure" and "Ensemble Comedy".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Saffire
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 1192
Location: Iowa, USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:18 am Reply with quote
Asuron wrote:
I also wasn't aware that One Piece characters powered up and saved the galaxy repeatedly from increasingly weirder monsters? Seems kinda hard to find the time when your sailing from island to island on your way to find the greatest treasure in the world ....
Then I guess you're not still reading it, because the current arc is exactly that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305



Joined: 24 Apr 2010
Posts: 1546
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:20 am Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
I really liked this column. Was this the first one? I don't see a list of it in the views page. I hope there will be more in the future!


This is the second one; the first was for Tiger and Bunny.
The recommendations were The Big O and Read or Die, if I'm not mistaken.

Funny, I've never seen One Piece but I love Gintama and Gurren Lagann!! Anime hyper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Asuron



Joined: 26 Mar 2010
Posts: 56
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:23 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Asuron wrote:
I also wasn't aware that One Piece characters powered up and saved the galaxy repeatedly from increasingly weirder monsters? Seems kinda hard to find the time when your sailing from island to island on your way to find the greatest treasure in the world ....
Then I guess you're not still reading it, because the current arc is exactly that.


You may want to check what your reading. I don't think its the same as what everyone else is reading
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
neocloud9



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 1178
Location: Atlanta, GA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
I'd really like to read this column, but every time I try, the paragraphs on the right-hand side are halfway hidden behind the features sidebar... There's nothing wrong with my computer, but I don't see anyone else mentioning that problem here in the forums. What's going on?

Here's what I'm talking about: le screencap

Help?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group