• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
American publisher plans to market comics as "manga&quo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:54 pm Reply with quote
http://www.tcj.com/messboard/ubb/Forum1/HTML/006715.html

Please voice your opinion on this arrogant attempt by mere western comics publishers to appropriate the glory that is manga.

Last edited by Aaron White on Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
molloaggie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:34 pm Reply with quote
At first thought, it sounds horrendous...calling American made stuff manga too. It's just one of those things that happens.
At my bookstore, they already mix the American and Japanese stuff. They title it under graphic novel. The comic stuff (spiderman, garfield ect) is next to it but actually has it's own space.

Americans are always stealing words from other languages. It's definitely going to take a long time before bookstores catch on and call them manga sections instead of graphic novel sections. The phrase graphic novel has done more harm to the genre than help. That word 'graphic' seems only to fulfill people's belief that all manga is hentai.

We (this forum) do it anyway already- that is, use the word manga to refer to things that AREN'T strictly Japanese manga. We mostly say 'manga' when referring to the stuff from Korea. I wouldn't be surprised if TokyoPop was accidently putting their 100% Authentic Manga stickers on the manwa.
L337Llama

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:15 pm Reply with quote
That and Tokyopop also calls thier american stuff Manga.

I dont think its such a big deal, its just a classification.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:55 am Reply with quote
Well, at first I was... ify on this. I like to consider JAPANAESE black and white comics manga, but it really is the term used for all comics, and so... yay for more people in the US to know the term manga. >.>

And like it has been said, tokyopop has been calling their american stuff manga, and heck, their MANGWA is just a tawaniese version of the word.
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:08 am Reply with quote
Manga just means comic, so don't see anything wrong with this american publisher using it. It just means that it's a popular word.
rage-demon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:20 am Reply with quote
molloaggie wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if TokyoPop was accidently putting their 100% Authentic Manga stickers on the manwa.

They might, but remember, all that stamp means is that it is printed in the original right-to-left format.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:29 am Reply with quote
I don't really care either. Personally I have never heard of the that us publisher before, and I really don't see bookstores ever changing from 'graphic novel' to manga anyway. It is easier to keep it all under one section.

And do keep in mind that 'anime' is a japanese borrowed word for 'animation'.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Ya'll kicked my butt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
qollocust

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't see a reason to call American comics "manga". We're not in Japan, and the comics aren't Japanese.....

We already have the word "comic".
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:20 pm Reply with quote
qollocust wrote:
I don't see a reason to call American comics "manga". We're not in Japan, and the comics aren't Japanese.....

I'm just saying what came to the top of my head at this. Maybe it's beause "comic" is associated here with superman and comics regarded as stuff for 9 year old boys. Maybe they want to turn away from that image? Course I don't see why "manga" is better the "graphic novel".
Arby's

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm suprised everyone is being so quiet about this. I thought all the sub happy elitists would be out by now ripping this to shreds. This even ticks me off a little. Think how you'd feel if a random american cartoon was called anime. They are just trying to break the little nerdy kid stereotype that the phrase comic invokes.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:18 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
qollocust wrote:

I'm just saying what came to the top of my head at this. Maybe it's beause "comic" is associated here with superman and comics regarded as stuff for 9 year old boys. Maybe they want to turn away from that image? Course I don't see why "manga" is better the "graphic novel".

Hehehe...and the word "manga" isn't associated with swooning 13-year-old girls? Yeah, graphic novel is fine with me...but every time I say graphic novel, everyone's perverted minds say, "OMG, you're reading something GRAPHIC!"
space clam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:41 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:

Hehehe...and the word "manga" isn't associated with swooning 13-year-old girls? Yeah, graphic novel is fine with me...but every time I say graphic novel, everyone's perverted minds say, "OMG, you're reading something GRAPHIC!"

Hmm... When I think "graphic novel," I think of something by W.E.B. Stuart (whose novels are VERY good, mind you)

I can understand Arby's sentiments, though they have a subtle feel of elitism in them. The only problem I have with such misnomers is that it makes people think they know more than they do, which makes me have to argue with that many more (generally ignorant) people. It usually creates people who say, "I read the Batman "manga!" I'm an otakoo!" but can't even point out Japan on a map.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
I'm just saying what came to the top of my head at this. Maybe it's beause "comic" is associated here with superman and comics regarded as stuff for 9 year old boys. Maybe they want to turn away from that image? Course I don't see why "manga" is better the "graphic novel."

They're probably trying to capitalize on the preponderence of ideas that all manga is full of cursing, nudity, sex, violence, etc., and that the aforementioned are the sole constituents of a mature anime/manga aimed at a teenage+ audience.*cough* Yu-Gi-Oh! in the mystical uncut version *cough* Stupid marketing gimmicks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
oOVeCToRMaNOo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:57 pm Reply with quote
the book store that i get most of my manga (books a million) has a separate MANGA section with its own little name tag, and seperate from that are the graphic novels. for the most part they do a very good job of separating the two. you have to understand that they dont intentionally put american comics under MANGA. alot of people dont know alot about manga at all, big deal i dont really expect the majority of people to. you have to look at it like a hobby...gymnastics is also a hobby...imagine if you went to a tournament and yelled out omg did you see her do that cool flip...well half the people there would probably say..actually that was a triple luts with a half twist (NO IDEA WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT) its basiclly the same principle. they dont do it on purpose and i dont see it as a big deal. whats funny is someone came up to me in school while i was posting this and said..."oh is that some anEme site"..you just have to smile and say yea sure whatever....

oh and can someone please define "manwha" for me???
Arby's

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:03 pm Reply with quote
If I came across as elitist, I didn't mean to. I also am a car enthusiast, and calling comics manga is like mistaking a Corvette for a Ferrari. It's not that one is neccesarily bad it just bothers me to see people get wrong what you invest so much time in. I'm not trying to be an a-hole. Plus I"m a dub guy, so I can't be anime upper class.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2