• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rumiko Takahashi 4EVER!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghoti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Hello everybody!

I think everyone (or at least nearly everone Anime smile) has heard of her and her creations. And the talk here is about the one and only - RUMIKO TAKAHASHI!
Ursei Yatsura with the moody alien-girl Lum.
Ranma 1/2 with title star martial arts champion Ranma.
And many more.

So as I stumbled upon a nice page with some comments on Rumiko Takahashi's work, some comment by the artist herself and some words on her little known (at least to me) creations.

So check it, and enjoy!
http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~leon/mi/html/rumiko.html

(Drat! My e-mail server has crashed again! Evil or Very Mad )
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a PR piece. Anyway, I'm tired of her, and I hope Ranma Meets Fire Tripper(Oops, I mean Inu Yasha.) is her last manga.
Hagakure

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 12:02 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Sounds like a PR piece. Anyway, I'm tired of her, and I hope Ranma Meets Fire Tripper(Oops, I mean Inu Yasha.) is her last manga.

Um...why do you care whether or not its her last manga? No one's forcing you to buy them, and she still has quite a fan following. I'd think it would suck if she quit, even though I'm not really a HUGE fan of her. Actuallly I think it sucks if any manga artist quits, its just less variety on the market.

Just my opinion.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 12:09 am Reply with quote
She's part of the reason there's so little variety in the first place.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:49 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Somewhere off the coast of Indonesia, in her underground lair, Takashi is yelling...

"Curse you, GATSU!!! ONE DAY, YOU WILL BE MINE!!!"

I don't much like Inu-Yasha either. I'd like for Takahashi to do some more short stories, rather than long and rediculous stuff like Ranma. Y'know, something akin to One Pound Gospel.

Takahashi Is Good, but only in limited quantities, says I.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 1:24 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

How so?

I don't seem to recall any reports of her going out of her way to squash (a la M$) anything that was different from her view of Manga.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 1:25 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

How so?

I don't seem to recall any reports of her going out of her way to squash (a la M$) anything that was different from her view of Manga.

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Tempest: She used to make fun of love triangles, and now she took them seriously. That's why she "jumped the shark".
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Tempest: She used to make fun of love triangles, and now she took them seriously. That's why she "jumped the shark".

What the hell are you talking about? You're saying she has no variety because in one story, she shuns love triangles, and in the next she embraces them? It seems to me that that's the definition of variety. If she had stuck with the same concept the whole time, then I'd have a beef with that. Besides, she's always had love triangles in just about all of her stories. As for 'jumping the shark,' that's shoujo. Live with it. You could just as easily argue that Naoko Takeuchi, or Yuu Watase are contributing to the cliches of the different types of girly anime.

It seems to me, the only reason I have for being a little poked out on Takahashi is the way that Viz pushes her titles in every single release or advertisement they do. Course, that's not her fault though; it's entirely the fault of the ad execs.

But hey, just because she changed her approach to story telling, doesn't make her a sell-out.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:56 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Umm, how does this affect Anime in general? Even if her stories were unvaried, it doesn't affect the variety of Anime in general, does it?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Sakechan:

"You could just as easily argue that Naoko Takeuchi, or Yuu Watase are contributing to the cliches of the different types of girly anime."

Except shoujo tends to have more character development than shonen. Actually, now that I think about it, there are some cliches from them as well, but at least they don't continue to write beyond their ability to come up with original material. Even Toriyama respects himself by refraining from that.

Tempest: "Umm, how does this affect Anime in general? Even if her stories were unvaried, it doesn't affect the variety of Anime in general, does it?"

If you're the highest paid manga-ka, guess who other authors will imitate most.
Vicious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:54 am Reply with quote
I don't much like Inu-Yasha either. I'd like for Takahashi to do some more short stories, rather than long and rediculous stuff like Ranma. Y'know, something akin to One Pound Gospel.
[/quote]

If only she treated Inuyasha like a short story, or relatively short story, instead of a long term one like Ranma(Which does NOT work with a story that has a ongoing plot) it'd be one of the best manga/animes out there in it's genre. It's a shame. If she were to start doing short stories though I think they'd be good and that she could still contribute alot to the market.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 4:21 am Reply with quote
I love Ranma, or at least I did love Ranma for a certain period, but the main problem with Inu-Yasha is that it isn't very interesting or funny, like Ranma and UY and her other longer series are. It's just characters fighting and getting more powerful and meeting other characters and fighting s'more. Oh, and ROMANCE.

Whiirrrrrrrrrrr.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ghoti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 6:05 am Reply with quote
Well, Rumiko Takahashi didn't just creat Ranma and Inu Yasha.
There were quite a few shorts and a few mangas od a different genre, eg horror. That's why I placed the link (at the beginning of htis forum) in the first place. Some really interesting facts are mentioned there.
Gai Super Napalm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 5:34 pm Reply with quote
For the recored, I agree with Gatsu again.

Of course, little inspiration or little new ideas in anime doesn't always mean that the new anime is bad. Lots of people copy or produce similar shows or stories and sometimes they are good (love hina to maison ikkoku) and sometimes they suck (pita-ten to digi charat)..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2