• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ad Free ANN?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhatBishounen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, that's like, $1.25 a month?

Yeah, that's totally do-able. I don't know if I would. But I think the price is right.
space clam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Along the lines of special benefits, maybe something like a special background only available to paying members, or some unique .gifs or Emoticons which can be only used by members. Perhaps minor little things like that along those lines in the way of benefits...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Zeiram

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Well we need something that won't egg on 'elitism' so emoticons etc would be out. I still like my newsletter idea. Hmm new backgrounds etc? Eh I dunno.

Let's see, chat room, bigger contests, t shirts, hats.

Maybe if we combine this with members becoming minor staffers for updating the smaller sections more readily than how we have it now or something, we could see the site like eh pay us for our small changes and the site will get a heck lot better or something. Put the money to a good use maybes. Well if this isn't a viable idea, maybe it'll inspire something.

I say look over these ideas, I'm sure something can be figured out by now.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:08 pm Reply with quote
You can always add nifty features to the forums for paid members only like:

Thread Subsciption
Forum Buddy List
More detailed Profile
A Signature

Oh, and maybe add a sort of... grading scale members can use on other members. Like... if a member posts something very informative or usefull, they get a point, and if a person posts a... trolly post, or major spam, they get a point taken away. Once a person gets to something like negative 20 or something, they're banned. When people get a certain amount of point or something, you can add a neat little title under their name, or... give them special privlages... or something.

A good example of the stuff I'm talking about is this forum:
http://www.evboard.com/

As to other stuff you can add... I dunno. Nifty, members only downloads? Like... skins or wallpapers... meh.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:32 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Too bad you have to be a member to see it. Wink

You could take away the ability to make custom lists in the MyAnime section. I don't know how many people use it but I have like 9 or so. I know it's not much but it does take space to let people do it. Of course, leaving the default (Seen some, Seen All, etc.) lists available to all users. And title's for paying members would be cool.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Too bad you have to be a member to see it. Wink

Opps, forgot about that. Anime smile + sweatdrop
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
You could take away the ability to make custom lists in the MyAnime section.

Taking AWAY content that once was free is what IGN and such do. I don't want to see ANN do that.

Some of the additions we can offer are:

Additional encyclopedia features (more advanced searches/comparisons, soundtrack database, episode synopses)

Expanded news coverage (more regular Japanese news translation, rather than the once-in-a-while translations we do, or additional UK/AU news; this, naturally, would be a benefit for everyone, rather than a benefit ONLY for the paying members..)

Conventions (Private parties, maybe?)

Additional contests

More versitile newsfeeds (a newsfeed that includes links to the latest columns and reviews? a newsfeed that includes full-text?)

Additional forum things (unique titles, larger avatars, special rank insignia, private forums, chatroom)

In-depth title coverage [Anyone recall the RBHS stuff we did?]

Faster server (Ad-free, etc)

Blogging (Okay, okay, I'm just tossing out ideas. :p)

We might also be able to do things like special chats w/ VA's/industry folks, image galleries, special discounts, trailers/video clips, etc.. but we'd have to work those things out with the individuals/companies.

I'm going to imagine that we do structured payments like we do for ads -- short-term purchases would be more expensive than long-term purchases.

Actually, I like the idea of "private parties at conventions".. hmm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:29 am Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
Samurai CDZ wrote:
You could take away the ability to make custom lists in the MyAnime section.

Taking AWAY content that once was free is what IGN and such do. I don't want to see ANN do that.

Yeah, I caught that a little while after I posted. Forget I said it.
str24

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:45 am Reply with quote
If you could work something out with rightstuf and animenation or whoever where if you subscribe to ANN you get a print catalog from those companies, that might be cool.
DeSpawn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:46 am Reply with quote
Well its an interesting idea to make up a pay service / ad-free server. But would I really be willing to pay the anual fee of around $20.00 just to help support my favorite anime news website... Wink

Though Choice.

Your advertisements you currenelty have now never bothered me, perhaps had you made them larger or more frequent then perhaps I'd think about...possibly paying for...one in a million chance Wink.

But still, maybe I should just click your banner ads more often then. If it wouldn't cost you guys anything (besides the initial cost that you would make from users who pay, then by all means give it a shot) Smile

Just don't increase the ads you have on your normal server thingy...or I will throw a pie at you. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Silvercat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:53 am Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
Let's see, chat room, bigger contests, t shirts, hats.

Maybe if we combine this with members becoming minor staffers for updating the smaller sections more readily than how we have it now or something, we could see the site like eh pay us for our small changes and the site will get a heck lot better or something. Put the money to a good use maybes. Well if this isn't a viable idea, maybe it'll inspire something.

I say look over these ideas, I'm sure something can be figured out by now.

And maybe a Pin! I would pay money to help the site, even if all I got was a small pin that said AnimeNewsNetwork.com on it.
*Is a little obsessed with anime pins*

I've contribute information to the Encyclopedia, so I think letting paid members help update sections could be a good idea.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:42 am Reply with quote
My take on this ad-free service is that it's more like a donation where you receive a little thank-you gift in return. Maybe we *should* open a donation box, with a minimum donation of 10$, and say "as a thank you for this donation, you will be able to turn off banners during one year". It would be nice to find a few more things to put in the thank-you gift.

For example we could display better images; right now we limit the jpeg quality of thumbnails in order to keep bandwidth costs down, but that limit could be waived for donators. But like Tempest, I am against providing privileged access to certain content. ANN has always been about providing information and if we start limiting access to information then we kill ourselves. That means no special articles or forum or chat room as far as I'm concerned. As for contests... paying to have access to a contest is in the domain of lotteries I believe, and that is a whole different ballgame (heavily legislated).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:26 am Reply with quote
[quote="TempestI'm looking into methods to automatically block the site to people that don't download the ads.

-t[/quote]

So those of us who try to protect ourselves from Spam and runaway ads will effectively be barred from the site? I run my security to the max because of too much spyware getting through in the past-- even had to do a clean install. If I have to turn it off to view the site, then we part ways.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:16 pm Reply with quote
AnimeHeretic wrote:
Tempest wrote:
I'm looking into methods to automatically block the site to people that don't download the ads.

-t

So those of us who try to protect ourselves from Spam and runaway ads will effectively be barred from the site? I run my security to the max because of too much spyware getting through in the past-- even had to do a clean install. If I have to turn it off to view the site, then we part ways.

I only have two words to say.
Adaware.
Spybot.

If you're getting enough spyware to have to reinstall your OS, you're not taking care of your computer properly. I have a pop-up blocker purely for annoyance reasons, but there's no bloody way ads (pop-up and embedded ones) can put that much spyware on your computer unless you're clicking all of them, installing the things they tell you to, running assloads of P2P, and then not using one (or both) of the above programs.
Van_Gogh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Unlike other websites, I actually click on the ads once in a while since most of the time they relate to anime and manga and are of interest to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7