• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ad Free ANN?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
So Norton blocks all of ANN's adds by default? Or does it only block the flash banners? I know that IE blocks flash when you're at the maximum security settings.

I tested it, it blocks all of ANN's ads by default. How lame.

There are a couple ways I could deal with this issue, just trying to decide if I should circumvent NIS (easy) or punish people for using it (also easy).

I'll probably go for the former, but its tempting to go for the latter, just to make a statement.

Honestly that really is shitty. I'm not sure if I should be mad at symantec, or all the people that over-advertise, the people that made a market for a product like NIS which is an over-reaction.

-t
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
AnimeHeretic wrote:
I bought Norton Internet Security 04 and that does the trick, with the drawback of blocking the ANN banner ads.

Hmm, interesting.

So Norton blocks all of ANN's adds by default? Or does it only block the flash banners? I know that IE blocks flash when you're at the maximum security settings.

Last time I tried the NIS (03 version) you had to select ads to block them. If it blocks our banners by default, it's something new that I'll have to look into. It might change the way I do things. It *shouldn;t* be doing that, but if it does, I don't want to be blocking readers that didn't themselves chose to have our banners blocked.

-t

Yes, that's how it works for me. The weird thing is, for your site, there's not even a "broken window" icon _anywhere_. It's as if the ads did not exist at all. On other sites, I usually see the broken window and can right click if I want to see a picture, but not here. Rather unique in my experience.
There is a function in NIS 04 where you can drag ads that don't get blocked, like you mentioned for 03, but I've never had much luck with it, so I never used it.

I guess I'll see if my settings are up too high... I wasn't trying to be nasty or anything about posting banner ads, just that I was worried about having to choose between NIS and ANN.
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Tempest wrote:

I tested it, it blocks all of ANN's ads by default. How lame.

There are a couple ways I could deal with this issue, just trying to decide if I should circumvent NIS (easy) or punish people for using it (also easy).

I'll probably go for the former, but its tempting to go for the latter, just to make a statement.

Honestly that really is shitty. I'm not sure if I should be mad at symantec, or all the people that over-advertise, the people that made a market for a product like NIS which is an over-reaction.

-t

Well, let me know when the pay version comes up and I'll join if I can afford it. In the meantime, if you know how I can set it so i can respect your needs without compromising my security/privacy, let me know...
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I see you found a way around Norton. I can't see the banner ads yet, but I do see the ad links to different anime stores now.
bluechibi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Well done Tempest, I see a new advert aswell. Excellent, the top right area always did look kinda empty. Hope to see some more flash ads, maybe ones with trailers in (or a button so we can play the trailer in a new window), i enjoy them ONLY when the sound is turned off first and maybe if it lets me choose to play it or not.

There arent any magazines in my country so seeing trailers is important for me, however that means going through a lot of websites and even then I still need to know the name of the anime. I enjoy some of the movie and dvd flash trailer ads.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:29 pm Reply with quote
bluechibi wrote:
Well done Tempest, I see a new advert aswell. Excellent, the top right area always did look kinda empty. Hope to see some more flash ads, maybe ones with trailers in (or a button so we can play the trailer in a new window), i enjoy them ONLY when the sound is turned off first and maybe if it lets me choose to play it or not.

That's exactly the kind of ads I want to see in that spot, but so far none of the advertisors have really pushed the envelope.

Oh well.

Quote:
I see you found a way around Norton. I can't see the banner ads yet, but I do see the ad links to different anime stores now.

Yeah, we know how to break Norton & Freedom (from Montreal Base Zero Knowledge). They're actually kind of dumb software. I ran Norton for a few days with the default settings and I noticed a number of websites that would not allow me to vist, good for them Smile

I've decided to go the safer route and just make sure that ANN's ads show in the default Norton config, but it was tempting to completely break ANN on Norton.

I have a friend that works at Zero Knowledge, and we've gotten into some interesting discussions. Personally I disaprove of them blocking all ads by default. Obviously I'm biased though... I'm a strong supporter of being able to block invasive ads, but I don't think they should automatically block simepl banners and what not.

Ah well, seing as how this feature is now installed by default on such popular programs as NIS & Freedom, I'm no longer "mad" at end users who use it. This doesn't however mean that I won't go ahead with my plans to make ANN unusable to people that block our ads, but just that I'll make sure that doesn't happen to people who have default instalations of NIS & Freedom.

-t
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:21 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Ah well, seing as how this feature is now installed by default on such popular programs as NIS & Freedom, I'm no longer "mad" at end users who use it. This doesn't however mean that I won't go ahead with my plans to make ANN unusable to people that block our ads, but just that I'll make sure that doesn't happen to people who have default instalations of NIS & Freedom.

-t

Well, I'm not deliberately blocking, but if you change your mind and go that route, I hope you leave a portion open so we can register for the pay version (presuming you haven't killed the idea)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7