• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lucky Star DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Quote:
Although humor is scattered sporadically throughout each episode (and some will find the content much funnier than others), the most consistently funny parts are the Lucky Channel bits which constitute the last 90 seconds or so of each episode.

Oh, I disagree. Akira was really funny the first couple episodes when it was unexpected, but 20 episodes later her shtick got really old. Lucky Channel was by far my least favorite part of the series.

That's true. I could have done without that little feature at the end of each episode. Whilst there was the occasional nugget of comic gold -mainly through the references- in the main parts of the episodes, I found myself fast-forwarding Lucky channel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It's fascinating, in an annoying manner, that this blatant piece of moe pandering drool can be considered worth the cost of a dub, but something like Emma is deemed unworthy. I'll never understand it.
Rolling Eyes

Well, I'd suspect this show will sell at least 50% of the copies that Haruhi did, so I'd go with sales figures of around 8,000 or so, which is a relatively big hit in R1. Emma will be lucky to move 2,000. Didn't they take nearly till the deadline to hit the 1000 pre-orders that got into the credits?
In any case, maybe you should try and understand it, instead of just complaining about it, and then you might be able to do something to CHANGE it. If you hate the types of shows that are popular with most people, then the only thing to do is to espose the virtues of your own tastes: Screaming "why do you like this crap?!" on boards only ends up alienating the very people you should instead be trying to convert into fans of the types of shows you enjoy.

I'm taking you way to seriously, though, and should stop.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
It's fascinating, in an annoying manner, that this blatant piece of moe pandering drool can be considered worth the cost of a dub, but something like Emma is deemed unworthy. I'll never understand it.
Rolling Eyes

Well, I'd suspect this show will sell at least 50% of the copies that Haruhi did, so I'd go with sales figures of around 8,000 or so, which is a relatively big hit in R1. Emma will be lucky to move 2,000. Didn't they take nearly till the deadline to hit the 1000 pre-orders that got into the credits?
In any case, maybe you should try and understand it, instead of just complaining about it, and then you might be able to do something to CHANGE it. If you hate the types of shows that are popular with most people, then the only thing to do is to espose the virtues of your own tastes: Screaming "why do you like this crap?!" on boards only ends up alienating the very people you should instead be trying to convert into fans of the types of shows you enjoy.

I'm taking you way to seriously, though, and should stop.

There was a time when I did feel like doing that. That time was when Cartoon network acquired the rights to Eyeshield 21 and basically crushed some of the popularity. Though this isn't Viz Media's fault exactly, but the English theme song sounds like they pulled a random guy off the street and made him sing.

Another anime is the english dub of Naruto. Hearing "belive it" every episode isn't funnny, rather annoying and pointless.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Another anime is the english dub of Naruto. Hearing "belive it" every episode isn't funnny, rather annoying and pointless.

And hearing "dattebayo!" every episode is somehow inherently better?
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Quote:
Although humor is scattered sporadically throughout each episode (and some will find the content much funnier than others), the most consistently funny parts are the Lucky Channel bits which constitute the last 90 seconds or so of each episode.

Oh, I disagree. Akira was really funny the first couple episodes when it was unexpected, but 20 episodes later her shtick got really old. Lucky Channel was by far my least favorite part of the series.

Do remember that this was only based on the first four episodes. It hasn't had a chance to get old yet. Wink

If they don't mix up the format a bit, I could see it getting old eventually, but right now that jumping back and forth between chirpy and cynical behavior greatly amuses me.

On an entirely unrelated point, did anyone else able to remember the '80s find themselves thinking of the Madonna song when they first heard the title to this one? ("You must be my lucky star. . .")
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I'd like some clarification on a couple lines in this review. Near the end of the review, it says the following:

"In addition to the aforementioned liner notes detailing various pop culture references, the regular disk includes several Extras."

Despite the fact that the line says they "aforementioned", no where previously in the review are any liner notes mentioned at all. Rather, the review says this:

"...fans wish for an option equivalent to the pop-up ADV Notes seen on some parody-heavy titles released by ADV. Regrettably Bandai Entertainment got their hands on this one instead, and they don't do that kind of thing."

A post in this thread mentioned something about notes included on a DVD insert. But if that line is referring to an insert, it still doesn't explain why the review says the liner notes are aforementioned, when they aren't. Nor does it answer how good a job these notes do at explaining things.

Anyways, if Theron Martin would be so kind as to clarify this, I'd appreciate it.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
As for the plot, you are right. Howwever, Azumanga Dioah isn't moe in the least. Maybe one could consider Chiyo moe, but given the fact in the start of the series she is ten, I'd say that is a ungrounded statement.

Sorry, but Japan would like to differ with you.

Anime Saimoe Tournament - 2002
Winner: Sakura Kinomoto - Card Captor Sakura
Runner-Up: Ayumu Kasuga a.k.a Osaka - Azumanga Daioh
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
As for the plot, you are right. Howwever, Azumanga Dioah isn't moe in the least. Maybe one could consider Chiyo moe, but given the fact in the start of the series she is ten, I'd say that is a ungrounded statement.

Sorry, but Japan would like to differ with you.

Anime Saimoe Tournament - 2002
Winner: Sakura Kinomoto - Card Captor Sakura
Runner-Up: Ayumu Kasuga a.k.a Osaka - Azumanga Daioh

Creation doesn't necessarily match reception. (I'm not debating whether Azuma had the mindset of constructing female characters deliberately to make many viewers "moe" for them, but rather how anime fandom has a habit of latching onto certain aspects of a show and distorting it to a point beyond recognition.)

I actually kind of enjoyed the first couple episodes of Lucky Star when they weren't really about anything, but then the otaku in-jokes started to meander in episode three three, with a lot of whatever observational humor is there being replaced with obnoxious nerd humor.

It ain't for me.
braves

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

And hearing "dattebayo!" every episode is somehow inherently better?

Heh, not only that, but the Naruto dub hasn't used "Believe it!" in over 100 episodes now.

As for Lucky Star, it doesn't really look something that's interesting to me. But maybe I'll give it a try sometime in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Ok, I'd like some clarification on a couple lines in this review. Near the end of the review, it says the following:

"In addition to the aforementioned liner notes detailing various pop culture references, the regular disk includes several Extras."

Despite the fact that the line says they "aforementioned", no where previously in the review are any liner notes mentioned at all. Rather, the review says this:

"...fans wish for an option equivalent to the pop-up ADV Notes seen on some parody-heavy titles released by ADV. Regrettably Bandai Entertainment got their hands on this one instead, and they don't do that kind of thing."

A post in this thread mentioned something about notes included on a DVD insert. But if that line is referring to an insert, it still doesn't explain why the review says the liner notes are aforementioned, when they aren't. Nor does it answer how good a job these notes do at explaining things.

Anyways, if Theron Martin would be so kind as to clarify this, I'd appreciate it.

Very simple answer: in an earlier version of the review I had the liner notes mentioned earlier in the piece, where I was talking about the ADV Notes. That reference got taken out in revisions and I simply forgot to edit the paragraph about the Extras to reflect that.

The liner notes I'm mentioning in the review are what others are talking about in this thread. They point out all of the anime/manga/game references and explain the puns and jokes that don't translate through.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Ah, the show about nothing is finally here.... Laughing
suna_suna

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote
i can explain my affection for LS about as well as i can explain my love for Furuba, and considering my love for Iron Maiden and Metallica, it's pretty hard. The observational humor and the geeky nerd anime references really make this a winner for me, but that may be because i can actually get alot of them without too much backround. plus I swear that in one of the later episodes, they refernce Guilty Gear, which is awesome.

now don't get me wrong, i love blood and gore as much as the next guy, but i can't help but like this quircky, moe-driven piece of animation. and if i can completely agree with one thing in the review, it's that the opening is about as addicting as getting acupuncture with herion laced needles.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

As for realisim, if you watched the series and paid close attention, the sitution with Chiyo and her skiping five grades is clearly explained. Unless the characters dyed their hair, I've never seen a person will green, blue or pink hair.

Yeah, I know they explain Chiyo's prodigious abilities, but it is certainly not exactly a common occurence.

As for hair color in LS; that's what I was trying to imply, but apparently failing at. Anyway, while I haven't seen anybody with shade of pink that the twins' hair is colored in the series, I've definitely seen a lot of people with Konata's shade of blue (and hey, given her apparent super-otaku disposition, it wouldn't be suprising if her hair really is supposed to be dyed).
LoOpiNg

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:47 am Reply with quote
The dub.... it has honorifics.
They say stuff like kona-chan or miyuki-san in english. -.-
that's kinda very unusual to have japanese honorifics in english and for me it's the first time i heard them on a dub.

They probably think this title is a total otaku-type of series so it's a good idea..
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
LoOpiNg wrote:
The dub.... it has honorifics.
They say stuff like kona-chan or miyuki-san in english. -.-
that's kinda very unusual to have japanese honorifics in english and for me it's the first time i heard them on a dub.

They probably think this title is a total otaku-type of series so it's a good idea..

They were on FLCL too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5