• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lucky Star DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
On an entirely unrelated point, did anyone else able to remember the '80s find themselves thinking of the Madonna song when they first heard the title to this one? ("You must be my lucky star. . .")

Yes. Also, that's one of the segments in AMV Hell 4.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:08 am Reply with quote
For me it brought to mind Isaac Asimov writing as Paul French.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:10 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
It's fascinating, in an annoying manner, that this blatant piece of moe pandering drool can be considered worth the cost of a dub, but something like Emma is deemed unworthy. I'll never understand it.
Rolling Eyes

Well, I'd suspect this show will sell at least 50% of the copies that Haruhi did, so I'd go with sales figures of around 8,000 or so, which is a relatively big hit in R1. Emma will be lucky to move 2,000. Didn't they take nearly till the deadline to hit the 1000 pre-orders that got into the credits?
In any case, maybe you should try and understand it, instead of just complaining about it, and then you might be able to do something to CHANGE it. If you hate the types of shows that are popular with most people, then the only thing to do is to espose the virtues of your own tastes: Screaming "why do you like this crap?!" on boards only ends up alienating the very people you should instead be trying to convert into fans of the types of shows you enjoy.

I'm taking you way to seriously, though, and should stop.
You must be under a lot of stress, but life in Tokyo is like that, in'it? This is the second bite you've taken from my first post. Did you miss my second? Wink
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
LoOpiNg wrote:
The dub.... it has honorifics.
They say stuff like kona-chan or miyuki-san in english. -.-
that's kinda very unusual to have japanese honorifics in english and for me it's the first time i heard them on a dub.

They probably think this title is a total otaku-type of series so it's a good idea..

They were on FLCL too.

They were also in Karin and I Me Strawberry Eggs as well. Though I am sure few people have heard of those series, due to the fact they were never popular.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:
LoOpiNg wrote:
The dub.... it has honorifics.
They say stuff like kona-chan or miyuki-san in english. -.-
that's kinda very unusual to have japanese honorifics in english and for me it's the first time i heard them on a dub.

They probably think this title is a total otaku-type of series so it's a good idea..

They were on FLCL too.

They were also in Karin and I Me Strawberry Eggs as well. Though I am sure few people have heard of those series, due to the fact they were never popular.

FLCL kinda was since it's a ratings hit on [Adult Swim].
retty

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I think people are wrong to say the only humour in lucky star is the anime references and so on. I don't get most of them, and even when I do it's not what makes the anime. I like watching it for the characters and the character interactions, it's all so easy to relate too and very funny. Maybe girls will get it more than boys, I don't know. I'd agree that the episodes on the first DVD are, however, a little boring. the show deffinately picks up afterwards though.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:29 am Reply with quote
retty wrote:
I think people are wrong to say the only humour in lucky star is the anime references and so on. I don't get most of them, and even when I do it's not what makes the anime. I like watching it for the characters and the character interactions, it's all so easy to relate too and very funny. Maybe girls will get it more than boys, I don't know. I'd agree that the episodes on the first DVD are, however, a little boring. the show deffinately picks up afterwards though.

Well I bought the Lucky Star dvd, not the deluxe dvd, and I am likely to continue to purchase this series. Grated the opening theme is still horriable, but everything else isn't. The dub was fantastic, that is my second reason of continuing this series as welll.

The characters did have have their own traits as well. Izumi Konata was a intelligent, sporty otaku, Kagami is a low level tsudere, her sister Tsukasa is odd, but interesting female cast member, Miyuki defines "moe" and show potray's what a female otaku life in highschool.

Lucky Channel is nice, but my friend told me Akira will be like a psychopath later on, so I will keep an eye on this. Overall, I did the right move and bought the dvd based on the review of two people.
Ronin Aquila

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I simply MUST protest against all this lazy comparisons to "Seinfeld" that "Lucky Star" keeps on getting.

"Lucky Star" is a mischievous, whimsical yet fundamentally warm hearted series where although friends may tease each other, but are never truly spiteful and will never stab each other in the back, and there's a feeling they generally love and care for each other.

"Seinfeld" on the other hand, is set in a bleak, cold and heartless universe where supposed "Friends" stab each other in the back to get higher in life, and don't really even love each other, but are simply too jaded-blase-and-cynical to want to move one, having NO faith in humanity whatsoever.

It is a completely underserved comparision, nay, INSULT to Lucky Star to compare it to that cesspool of hate and cynicism.

Lucky CHANNEL, on the other hand, I will gladly compare to Seinfeld. Though it is because of its spiteful-and-cynical-viciousness that it is jarrying and out of place when put next to the cheeky but bright universe of the main show.
Zaziu

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, i was hoping this wouldnt be dubbed >.< personally i think theyre gonna make a really big mess of this anime. its one of my fave series and should stay japanese... i think dubbing it is a terrible idea, theyre just gonna mess it up with the english/american voice actors and probably will miss out of the funniest bits of it.

One of the best anime series ever - not looking forward to it being released dubbed though.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Zaziu wrote:

One of the best anime series ever - not looking forward to it being released dubbed though.
So you've seen quite a lot have you? Wink
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Zaziu wrote:
Ugh, i was hoping this wouldnt be dubbed >.< personally i think theyre gonna make a really big mess of this anime. its one of my fave series and should stay japanese... i think dubbing it is a terrible idea, theyre just gonna mess it up with the english/american voice actors and probably will miss out of the funniest bits of it.

I hear there are magical "Audio Select" and "Subtitle" buttons on your DVD player's remote that will let you watch the series subbed if you so choose. They may be just an urban legend, though.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Ronin Aquila wrote:
It is a completely underserved comparision, nay, INSULT to Lucky Star to compare it to that cesspool of hate and cynicism.

... Which is why Seinfield is better? (Mind, I'm not even a Seinfield fan.) I dunno; I'll take spiteful cynicism and somewhat believable characters over otaku-humor.

Zaziu wrote:
Ugh, i was hoping this wouldnt be dubbed >.< personally i think theyre gonna make a really big mess of this anime. its one of my fave series and should stay japanese...

Here's a suggestion for you: just listen to the Japanese dub. I know, it's a horrible thing for companies wanting a potentially profitable series to become actually profitable by giving them that horrid English dubbing, but they're not editing, cutting or removing the Japanese dub from the DVD.

Last edited by HellKorn on Fri May 16, 2008 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Ronin Aquila wrote:

"Seinfeld" on the other hand, is set in a bleak, cold and heartless universe where supposed "Friends" stab each other in the back to get higher in life, and don't really even love each other, but are simply too jaded-blase-and-cynical to want to move one, having NO faith in humanity whatsoever.

Nay, an insult I say to you good sirs! An insult to the finest of Japanese animes!
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Ronin Aquila wrote:
I simply MUST protest against all this lazy comparisons to "Seinfeld" that "Lucky Star" keeps on getting.

"Lucky Star" is a mischievous, whimsical yet fundamentally warm hearted series where although friends may tease each other, but are never truly spiteful and will never stab each other in the back, and there's a feeling they generally love and care for each other.

Lucky CHANNEL, on the other hand, I will gladly compare to Seinfeld. Though it is because of its spiteful-and-cynical-viciousness that it is jarrying and out of place when put next to the cheeky but bright universe of the main show.

Oh, come off it. I wasn't comparing the tone of the two series and you should know that. Seinfeld IS a show about nothing (heck, it even explicitly states that it is), and so is Lucky Star - or can you actually support a claim that there is any kind of plot or substance to it? (And I don't consider "random inane scenes of the experiences of four girls in high school" to be a plot.) Granted, a show like this one doesn't need substance or plot to be entertaining, but trying to deny that there aren't parallels between the two series is silly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ronin Aquila

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I was not protesting for substance (Lucky Star is a fun show with little to no plot, I agree), nor against you personally.

Merely stating that one show is about having a good time with friends that you are fond of (which real people ALSO do, NOT just Otaku, Mr Hellkorn) and another is about being cold, selfish cruel and backstabbing towards people you pretend to be friends with out of apathy and convenience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5