• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi Lookalike Appears on Belarusian Waffle Packaging

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gingy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
in their defence...Belarus is practically right next to Russia...atleast I think it still is...and the 2 places are pretty identical...atleast to a person with no knowledge of their language and culture, the writing and names there are identical.

But the bigger question is...WHY did they choose haruhi's picture in a package for WAFFLES?
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
How do we know this isn't tied to some kind of shadowy promotional stunt having to do with the novels or anime?

(Don't answer that.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
roxfan

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Anyways, I couldnt find this for sale anywhere in their catalog - did someone see it on their website or their distribution lists? Makes me wonder if this is actually a counterfiet product being produced.

Apparently it's a pretty new product and the website has not been updated yet. You can see a flash banner with the new series on the main page of the Russian version (though it doesn't show Yulechka). Here are the ads from the Minsk metro.
You could try contacting people listed there with the ICQ numbers but don't count on getting good communication in English.
If you really really want to get one, I could try talking to my friend over there...
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
What anime are the rest of the bars copying?

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/vinnikub/view/48386/
skyfishing

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
well apart from the iron curtain jokes theres the fact that in america someone would already be sued over copy laws. i swear people think its free money or something. Should we all look back at a time when if you spilled coffee on yourself you could sue and win. now everything has to say CAUTION: THIS COFFEE MAY BE HOT!!! this world never ceases to amaze me...

then theres the advertisements that i dont think would pass decency levels here in the states.....
Gingy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
hows the picture of Haruhi sticking her tongue out in a package for waffles be considered indecent...

Quote:
spilled coffee on yourself you could sue and win. now everything has to say CAUTION: THIS COFFEE MAY BE HOT!!! this world never ceases to amaze me...

Now THAT I didn't know...this is why lawyers have such an evil bad reputation...I always wondered....what was the point of putting those stupid warning labels there for...wasnt it obvious enough already?
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, seriously, the Iron Curtain jokes have to stop. The Iron Curtain fell between 1989 and 1991. It doesn't exist anymore. I have been to three of the countries in question, and my passport wasn't rejected at the border.
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, pardon me for asking, but has Anime News Network already reported on this?

Haruhi Not-so-lookalike Appears on the Cover of a Chinese Book on the Olympic Games.
http://www.j-cast.com/2008/01/29016106.html
http://trebian.livedoor.jp/archives/54957451.html
http://www.amazon.cn/mn/detailApp?prodid=bkbk722372

Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Should I be more disturbed by the blatant copyright infringement, or by the fact that said facsimile(sp) has only one tooth? Confused

Ah, yet so, welcome to the world market...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
I wonder why they changed her noise and mouth? I mean, I understand they'd want to remove the armband with the Japanese writing on it, and change the colors to match the package, but I don't see any reason to change the other stuff.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
tenkado-shujin wrote:
Well, pardon me for asking, but has Anime News Network already reported on this?

Haruhi Not-so-lookalike Appears on the Cover of a Chinese Book on the Olympic Games.
http://www.j-cast.com/2008/01/29016106.html
http://trebian.livedoor.jp/archives/54957451.html
http://www.amazon.cn/mn/detailApp?prodid=bkbk722372

Harubin (Harbin) Suzumiya has been in the Uncyclopedia for a long time... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
You know this is just a clever viral marketing scheme, right? KyoAni pays these companies to use their Haruhi image, so 2ch users can “discover” them, and make posts about, “Hey, look! Haruhi haruhi haruhi!” and “Foreigners are stealing our grand and glorious culture! The foremost example of which is Haruhi!”

Next month: African condom packages.

Also, brb, ordering four boxes for future collector value. The character on the purple package looks like Reimu from Touhou Project, orz
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:50 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Yeah, seriously, the Iron Curtain jokes have to stop. The Iron Curtain fell between 1989 and 1991. It doesn't exist anymore. I have been to three of the countries in question, and my passport wasn't rejected at the border.

Haha, apologies, I was only joking. I'm quite aware that the Soviet Union no longer exists.
!mm

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
As a citizen of Belarus i can say that in our country no one gives a damn about copyrights =) We r not afraid to install illegal software and download any media content just 'cause our laws r not developed enough in that way for us to take em into consideration while we're violating your laws =)
Concerning this matter all i can say that one of belorussian anime freaks has his job as a package designer at this factory and using anime art for his purposes. Tasteless usage of it though...
PS
Belarus is a small country, where 1 mbit/s internet connection with unlimited traffic costs 600-700$ a month while average salary is lower than 400$ a month. And it explains overall situation here better than any other words =)
kazana144

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:07 am Reply with quote
I'm just waiting for the inevitable "In Soviet Russia" crack.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5