• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dub This!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaine23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:21 am Reply with quote
Anyone else here ever read the webcomic, Dub This!
http://www.dubthis.net

Great webcomic about an anime club in college, lots of jokes, good artwork and storylines, and many in-jokes from anime and about anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I just started reading it recently. It pretty good, seems to get better as it goes, but I'm only about half way through 2001.

Bandai Announcer 4 Ever~! Laughing

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I think the art is pretty terrible, and the jokes are something that, rarely, elicit only small chuckles from me.

Anime in-jokes can only take you so far, Webcomic Creators of America.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Crudely drawn anime in-jokes. We have one of these already, it's called "Megatokyo", and it kinda proves that anime fans will flock to anything as long as it has some anime-related humor and attempts to look like manga.

I'll stick to PVP, thanks.

-Zac
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I used to read Dub This, but I recently stopped reading most of the webcomics I used to read.

Right now I only read Megatokyo, Exploitation Now, User Friendly and Sexy Losers.

A few motnhs ago there was a thread on webcomics and I posted the full list of comics I read at the time... It grew a bit more till about 3 weeks ago when I lost my comic-related bookmarks and decided not to read comics anymore and be more productinve with the time.
Cgoten

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:32 pm Reply with quote
The only webcomic not listed here that I read is 8-bit Theater, which, in my opinion, is hilarious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 4:26 am Reply with quote
Not to come off as a pompous prick or anything (DON'T I ALWAYS?!?!@ C'MON people BE HONEST), but usually the only comics I check out online are those from actual printed or syndicated cartoonists. To me most webcomics are nothing more than terrible fanfics with equally terrible art tacked on; hence I spend my time checking out Kaz or Fluble or any of Ivan Brunetti's cartoons rather than finding more excuses for me to hate the internet.

Although I am partial to 8-bit Theater, even though it's humor is quite often too hit-or-miss for my tastes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 7:37 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

Sexy Losers.

*shakes her head* That comic is just wrong. Funny....but sooooooo wrong Wink

Since we're listing webcomics and whatnot, I read Penny Arcade, Real Life Comics, Angst Technology (which is hysterically funny if you're a gamer or work in the IT field Wink )..then my sometime comics are 8-bit and Little Gamers.
My husband reads Sexy Losers...then he calls me over to check it out Confused I always end up chuckling and shaking my head.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
RoundTop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Ones I read:

Userfriendly http://www.userfriendly.org
Kevin and Kell http://www.kevinandkell.com
PVPonline http://www.pvponline.com
Megatokyo http://www.megatokyo.com
Exploitation Now http://www.exploitationnoew.com
Sabrina Online http://www.sabrina-online.com
and due to this thread... Dub This

Sure DT is badly drawn....but damned if I don't recognise some of those things from my own anime club (although DT has WAY more women).
arllyra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:16 am Reply with quote
Hmm. DT seems to be BIGGER than my anime club back at college, but the number of girls seems about the same. Happens when you go to a former teaching college, I guess. We had a 5:1 girl/guy ratio my freshman year.
I had never heard of DT, but I like it now. I could never get into MegaTokyo - maybe that whole 'talking to your audience' thing threw me off. I don't think DT is hilarious - in parts, it's not even funny. But that isn't why it's hooked me.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:38 am Reply with quote
Eh, while we're on the topic, I also read Superdeformers when it comes out weekly. Unfortunatly it's been shut down until December so Matt can get some serious R&R. However the archive is still up so take a look, it's good stuff based on Transformers, all one shots in a parody style. He even managed to get one of his pieces published in the first issue of the new Transformers comics from Dreamwave, see for yourself, it's on one of the last pages, bottom left I think. Matt is a really nice guy so I hope he's got the energy to continue in the winter.

http://www.superdeformers.com/

(oh, you can enter the site and the bottom of the main page)

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RoundTop

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:09 pm Reply with quote
my God! clubs with lots of women? crazy!!!!

the regular members of my club are...uhh..male male male male male and male.... repeat it a few more times.

If we have 2+ females show up to our showcases each month it is considered a large amount.

(The good thing is though that I have a GF... and not may other guys at the top of the club do) You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find female anime fans in the local area.
arllyra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 1:16 am Reply with quote
My local area was blessed with an individual who had access to the local TV station, so he showed anime 1 Sunday a month to whoever showed up. He kept a good balance of shoujo and shounen, and girls started showing up. Myself included. I went with my then-boyfriend (the only favor he ever did me), Fushigi Yuugi was showing, and the rest, as they say, is history. I don't know if the others were dragged along w/boyfriends or if they just heard it was good, but a lot got hooked on Escaflowne.
And this also explains why I'm still a tad puzzled when I meet a guy who doesn't like shoujo anime. The guys in the club were always so happy to be watching anime, they watched whatever.
Oh, and here's where I add: to Tom, wherever you are, THANK YOU!!!!
Kaine23

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:57 am Reply with quote
I wish my county college had an anime club myself actually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ghoti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips!

They're great. My favourites are (of course) Sexy Losers and 8bit Theatre. These two didn't load: Exploitation Now and User Friendly. Heaven knows the cause.
I liked Little Gamers and Sunday Morning Coffee, the latter better then the first one.
As for others, I more looked thru than read them... (that's 'cuse last few days time was under the sign of reading archives of 8bit and SL :))

My personal tip would be FreeFall. Nice, witty and I like the style.
So, check it out on http://www.purrsia.com/freefall/

BTW why the hell didn't anyone mention Garfield and Peanuts online archives?!?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1