• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop's Output to Drop to 20-22 Monthly Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I doubt very much that Fruits Basket will be axed. It's too popular and is a few volumes away from being completed. So, I don't think Tokyo Pop is that stupid...but you never know.

Since they've really cut back from what they origninally said...perhaps what they are going to do is finish releasing soon to be completed series, such as FB and not replace them. And what titles are at the bottom of the list sale-wise, ax those as well.
ryusaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
The only TokyoPop series i care for at the moment has been BECK, and so..
I hope nothing happens t that.
Kamenriderfan555

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I spend 150 bucks a week on manga. probably 1/3 of that tends to be Tokyo Pop. so this announcement is REALLY making me mad.
Altacia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
the_seventh_l wrote:
I'd be super-mad if Loveless got axed. I do love my Kouga-san's manga :3

There's a couple nice things about Loveless....

During it's run of Volumes 1 thru 7 it always had it's Color Inserts.{Besides Vol 4{?} which was just a mistake} With other series when the color inserts were dropped, The reason given was "It wasn't selling well enough for the expense."

One can assume Loveless sells well.

TP seems to be wanting to put more time between Volume releases, Volume 9 of Loveless isn't even out in Japan yet so... It will be a while for the US to get it.

Of course, If TokyoPop did drop Loveless for any reason. I'm sure one of the other companies would pick it up. People seem to be rather fanatic about the series.....

This is just random speculation on my part but, It sounds logical enough for me.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Kamenriderfan555 wrote:
Oh god damnit. I bought the Chibi Vampire novels on release date every time. Just another company to bitch at come SDCC.

Except for the fact that they won't be there Surprised
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Kamenriderfan555 wrote:
Grico wrote:
Still not much info but on animeondvd.com, one Tokyopop translator stated that the Gosick, Missing, and the Chibi Vampire novels are going to be canceled. It seems like the novels are going to be hit pretty hard, at the moment not much other info is out.

Oh god damnit. I bought the Chibi Vampire novels on release date every time. Just another company to bitch at come SDCC.

*grumble* The news (followed by 90% boundless speculation, which the company itself may be leaking to judge fan reactions to help narrow down the list of cuts) just keeps getting better.

Wasn't it mentioned in one of the earlier posts in this string that said they were pulling out of of SDCC (or was it just taking a smaller stance but still attending?) EDIT: Guess I was right.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Heres hoping they keep up Rave Master. I didn't invest in 21/35 manga series for the plug to be pull. What are they up to? 29 so far? hope they keep it going.

There isn't really much else I was collecting that I can think of- Tokyopop has lost some of my favor due to other compaines giving me more for my money. Like Del Rey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
the_seventh_l

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Heres hoping they keep up Rave Master. I didn't invest in 21/35 manga series for the plug to be pull. What are they up to? 29 so far? hope they keep it going.

Same here, only it's 25/35. As the only really long series I'm collecting, I'd be seriously PO'd if they axed it so close to the finish. But then there's the being 5-6 books away from the end, so they'll probably keep publishing it until the end. Surprised
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Makes me glad that the series I'm collecting/going to start collecting by Tokyopop are already released and finished. Anime hyper

Still, it sucks that all this is happening. I know some friends that like some of the manga currently being published aren't going to be happy with this if their favorite titles are scrapped.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Ligene wrote:

Personally, I'm more worried about the Scrapped Princess novels. I've been following the releases since it first came out last year, but it seems to have been put on an indefinite hiatus when volume four was supposed to hit stores. It was Leo's debut novel, too.

Scrapped Princess has been dead for a while. It was confirmed a long time ago that Tokyopop canned it, though they claimed they never licensed past volume 3. Rolling Eyes
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
I'll bet money right now that there's no way Fruits Basket gets the axe. The only remote POSSIBILITY of that would be if TokyoPop folded in its entirety and EVEN THEN someone else would pick up the license and finish it out. I believe FB is right behind Naruto in the sales rankings. (heck, they've been putting it out in HARDCOVER for goodness sake)

But put me in the column of hoping they release all of Shugogetten. Like people with other titles I'll be cheesed if it gets the axe AGAIN (from a different company). I'll be especially cheesed because I was really amped for it since I saw they put it all out in Germany. If the US gets screwed on this. Sad
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
rootz360 wrote:

I'm with you on that! I must be at least ten volumes behind on GetBackers..

How can you!
They're killing off main characters left & right!
I swear it was the author working out issues.
rootz360 wrote:

Regarding the dropped releases, I'm hoping (with fingers and toes crossed) that Peace Maker doesn't get axed. ADV dropping Peace Maker Kurogane was bad enough, but if its prequel is dropped, by a different company nonetheless, I'll be very disappointed.
Let's also hope DNAngel (if it ever starts up again) stays.

DNA's one of the ones that's been on hiatus in Japan for awhile. It's just kicked back up in the last couple months or so which means a yr probably before it'll be here. That have to collect it in Japan, then TP needs to translate it.

I really hope beyond hope some of this is going to be allowing titles to end. I'm following several that HAVE to just about be there. Rebirth, Chronicles of the Cursed Sword, King of Hell, Dragon Hunters, Dragon Knights. These are titles that TP started ages ago & they need to end, but I want to READ The ending & not have the title cancelled.

I've been buying the Sorcerer Hunters to replace my old set which all my teen's friends borrowed & several are falling apart. I just ordered Your & My Secret 2 since I already had ADV's & I was going to jump in on Getten Angel where Raijin's dropped off.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
Actually, TokyoPop really was pumping out an excess of books. Cutting back releases might be a good idea. It may be one, and maybe only, good idea they had in all this. Give good books space to breathe and sell. They were shoving too much out. Hopefully they'll also cut out some of the crap titles. Looking at last month, they had two Hanna Montana 'cine-manga' books and an original Bratz 'OEL manga'. Ugh.

Kamenriderfan555 wrote:
I spend 150 bucks a week on manga. probably 1/3 of that tends to be Tokyo Pop. so this announcement is REALLY making me mad.

Mad? Sounds like you'll be saving some money. I wish I could cut down on my comics and manga load. Slowly I've been, but not as much as I should. It's just.. I wish I knew how to quit you.
ruro niko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:25 am Reply with quote
As long as they finish Mobile Suit Gundam: Ecole du Ciel, I'll be happy.

In the long run, I think cutting back on titles is a good idea, but it is tricky picking the few titles that might actually sell.

I do think releasing the less-likely-to-sell titles on a digital format could work, and if certain titles are incredibly well-received, then maybe it could be put in print.

I do hope they don't drop a lot of running titles and just cut back on the new stuff. No one likes an incomplete collection on their shelves.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote
rootz360 wrote:
Let's also hope DNAngel (if it ever starts up again) stays.

I forgot they did DNAngel. I will be quite disappointed if they don't pick it up again now that it's finally continuing. Especially considering the abrupt way volume 11 ends.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4