• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lucky Star DVD 2

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
On the other hand, if the first volume appealed to you with its Seinfeld-like approach and blatant otaku-pandering efforts then you will just find more to love here. Kogami still embodies the classic tsundere style in the way she goes off on Konata and makes her disgusted observations, Miyuki still embodies everything moe, and Tsukasa is still the lovable incompetent.

It needs to be spelled Kagami instead of Kogami, because Kogami is Akira-sama.
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
The box in the picture needs to be changed to Volume 2.
Wink
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
Both errors have been dealt with. (Yeesh, and I really did edit this before posting, I swear. . .)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
So, actually talking about the review and what I've watched so far, I'll probably have to say that I definetly prefer the Japanese dub over the English dub. And that is probably what hurts some people's image of the series in itself.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:38 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
So, actually talking about the review and what I've watched so far, I'll probably have to say that I definetly prefer the Japanese dub over the English dub. And that is probably what hurts some people's image of the series in itself.

I don't quite understand that second sentence. What's "that?"
nhat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:39 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

in itself? Could you clear that part up a little? the viewers can always watch it sub too...
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:45 am Reply with quote
If the reviewer thinks this stuff is mindless drivel, be advised that I felt this was the last of the good stuff in this series. You ain't seen nothin' yet. The borderline commericialization that the series is about to undergo hasn't kicked in by this volume.
atlanime

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:40 am Reply with quote
I'm probably going to wait until the collected box set come out of it, cause Bandai does that with all their series.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:45 am Reply with quote
I saw the LE for this at Best Buy the other day, several copies in fact, but none of them had price tags on them, nor was there a listed price on any of the shelves. Add to that the fact I know I can get it cheaper at DeepDiscount, and I decided to pass it up for now, but I will be grabbing it very soon.

This volume will contain the rest of the episodes I originally watched fansubbed, so it'll be interesting when volume 3 comes out with episodes I haven't seen yet, since I'll probably go ahead and keep watching it in English. The dub is surprisingly fitting.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:52 am Reply with quote
I'm just waiting for my order from TRSI that has this in it I preordered it with 2 other items and when the 2nd item comes out which is next week and I see both in stock which 1 is but one is not yet I will ask them to send both.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:01 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

It might be worth mentioning that Japanese fans like the English dub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:17 am Reply with quote
If you know in advance what this title is about and if you know what you are getting into, you can't be too disappointed by this show.

I found this second volume funnier than the first (wasn't episode four the start of a new director in the series?) and Konata was the origin of most of smirks, giggles and unexpected laughs emanating from me.

Yes, many of the obscure otaku based references may zoom right by me, but the liner notes guide really is invaluable to get more out of the show. (who actually knows any of those ending songs they karaoke too???) I suppose a second viewing of the show with the liner notes in mind may help the viewer appreciate it even more.

The show may not be for everyone, but if you like that anime-referencing humor, it wasn't all that bad.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote
This is a series that, like Haruhi Suzumiya, just clicked with me. I get what they're doing with the show, and I love it. Very Happy The spoofs, the send ups, the references, the karaoke... it all works. I especially love how Konata is comparing everything in real life to video games, and how Kagami is always frustrated with her for doing that. Razz

The liner notes are a tremendous help, as I still only managed to catch about half the references in this volume, if that many. The only theme song I had heard before was the Dragonball Z one.

I really like the dub, too. It's very well done. I'm not sure why people wouldn't like it, unless you're just such a sub purist that you can't appreciate good American voice acting.
bleuster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:14 am Reply with quote
I wasn't crazy about the dub at first since it felt so uneven, but it's much more solid in this volume which actually adds to the fun.

Also, I love these shirts. I have to wear the swimsuit one when I go to the market next time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
fighterholic wrote:

It might be worth mentioning that Japanese fans like the English dub

Oh yeah, someone mentioned that in the English Track subforum in AnimeOnDVD about that. I found that little development about the Japanese otaku interested in English dub to be very fascinating. They REALLY took a liking towards Michelle Ruff's performance for Tsukasa as she incredibly nailed the moe aspects of her (of course if you ask me considering Bang Zoom! makes pretty conservative dubs, I expected that quite a bit).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3