• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japan in 2007

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagash

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:10 am Reply with quote
A wonderful opportunity is going to be voted on this year. If you've attended various cons in the Boston area, than you've heard me talk about this years Worldcon (Noreascon4).
A very important vote will take place at this convention. The vote is the site selection for the Worldcon in 2007. The finalists are:

Columbus, Ohio
Yokohama, Japan (listed as Nippon on the N4 website)

This would be Japans first SF convention. Why am I talking about an SF convention on an anime forum?
If Japan wins, many suspect that they will revitalize the SF industry in the way they run their convention. Traditional Worldcons deal with authors, artists, and costumers, with little attention paid to anime, games, and cosplaying (the staples of a modern day convention of any kind).
Many are guessing that Japan will have a video game room (few and far between, and sadly, this years convention won't have one), and anime stands a good chance of being equally as popular as films or video. Cosplaying should add an element to the masquerade that will make it fun again.

Of course, it can't happen unless you vote for it to happen. To vote, you must sign on for a full, 5-day membership at N4 (currently at $180), which is going to be held from Sept. 2 - 6 at the Boston Hynes Convention Center and the Boston Sheraton hotel. The N4 website is www.boston2004.com

The website for Japan 2007 is www.nippon2007.org
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:09 pm Reply with quote
nagash wrote:

Why am I talking about an SF convention on an anime forum?

Er, because Anime Expo Tokyo 2004 was held as a rehearsal event in the hope of winning WorldCon?

Given the poor reaction of Western fans to AXTokyo, I wouldn't bet money on Japan winning. OTOH, anime fandom != SF fandom and your other comments re. revitalisation may well carry the day.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Worldcon is awful for one thing, and for 2, virtually no otaku is going to pay $180 for a con membership.

Quote:
Many are guessing that Japan will have a video game room (few and far between, and sadly, this years convention won't have one), and anime stands a good chance of being equally as popular as films or video. Cosplaying should add an element to the masquerade that will make it fun again.

Highly doubtful. Anime cons in the US bear very little resemblence to their Japanese cousins. Japanese cons are typically a cosplay area and a dealer's room and the buck stops there, no matter what the attendence is. All what you're recommending is that WorldCon become yet another anime con, which will chase away their existing customer base, and will destroy the Hugo awards, not that there's much SF out there worth rewarding these days.

I'm hoping that if they do indeed recieve the bid, that they learned from AX Tokyo what not to do.
nagash

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:55 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, the existing fanbase for SF is losing ground, depdnding on who's running the Worldcon for X year.
I should explain, each Worldon is run by a different staff, so as it moves from city to city, things change. This years Worldcon is run by the same group that runs Boskone, which means this Worldcon stands a chance of being somewhat old-fashioned.
If any of you out there actually attended Boskone in the last few years, you've noticed attendance dropping. This is due in part because of the economy, but also in that Boskone is touted as 'your parents SF con'. I signed on to run the game room in Boskone in the hopes of getting more kids through the door. That's not going to be enough, though.
The attitude in question needs to change. SF cons (not the autograph cons, but the mini-worldcon type cons) are having a hard time surviving without adding tracks to get non SF fans through the door. Take Arisia. They added gaming a while back and they started an anime track two years ago. They're alive and well, but they have a very wide mix of attendees.
Many of us younger SF fans see this but some gruops just don't want to change. I'd hate to see any convention die due to lack of support. That's where the current SF track is headed if they stick solely to SF material. As a result, many of the younger SF fans already have made up their minds to vote for Japan. At the very least, it'll shake things up.
In terms of the price, well, I don't blame you for thinking it's outrageous. Keep in mind, however, where it's being held and how much that piece of real estate costs (not to mention the two hotels it's connected to). Even the membership for Japan is currently around $100 (where they haven't won the bid yet, it's referred to as 'friends'. If they win the bid, you're upgraded to members if you bought the friends package).
SF conventions are more expensive than anime cons due to a fundamental difference in policy. Anime and gaming cons tend to let you in for free if you sign on as staff, volunteer for so many hours, or demo for so many hours, or be on a certain amount of panels.
SF cons don't do this. For them, it's pay to play. I'm running a department for the current worldcon and I had to pay to join. There's not even a guarantee that you'll get reimbursed at the end of the con. You do it because you enjoy doing it.
Will that policy change? Doutful at best.
As for wether Worldcons are awful, that depends on your taste of programming. Nothings final yet but if things work out you're going to see at least some non-SF topics. Again, a lot of the younger crowd working in SF are hoping to expand the audience. To do it, you have to give them something they want to see.
I've already made one point, and I'll continue making it to them for the next 10 years if I have to, that the next Worldcon held in Boston must have a video game room. In this day and age, it should be a given for any Worldcon to have one. Times are changing, and in order for the SF cons to survive, they will have to change to get people through the door. I'm not saying to get rid of the old tracks and programs, but you've got to add some new stuff.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In terms of the price, well, I don't blame you for thinking it's outrageous. Keep in mind, however, where it's being held and how much that piece of real estate costs (not to mention the two hotels it's connected to). Even the membership for Japan is currently around $100 (where they haven't won the bid yet, it's referred to as 'friends'. If they win the bid, you're upgraded to members if you bought the friends package).

It was the same price in Philly a few years back, and I know exactly how much the function space they used was going for at the time. The price is simply outrageous for the programming they offered.

SF cons are dying because they're run by stuck-in-the-mud fogeys, some, like PhilCon have started to adapt, others like WorldCon are too busy polishing their Hugo Awards to notice that others took the baton a long time ago and have finished the race, showered and gone home while you're still on the track. But even Star Trek/Media autograph cons are dying, as the diehards are killed off slowly by Rick Berman and George Lucas' stepping on them. What you're seeing now is consolidation with comic-cons. 10 years ago you would NEVER see a major hollywood star at one. Now San Diego ComicCon is THE place to hype your movie
nagash

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:16 am Reply with quote
You do realize that each worldcon is run by a different group, yes? Some adapt, some don't, some are more fun than others. My point is that in order to survive they have to start adding things kids enjoy (books are not one of them).

I don't know what real estate goes for in Philly, but I guarantee that in Boston it's higher. A 1 room apartment tops $1100/month, and that doesn't include utilities. That's what happens when colleges don't have enough dorm space to cover. And that price is down from a few years ago. When the current committee originally started talking to the convention center and hotels they wanted a ridiculous price, so the committee had to wait a year or two til the price came down. The real estate price is not something any bid group can control, and Boston is not known for having open space.
$180 is high, I fully agree. I'd have liked the price not to climb that high, but with any convention: the longer you wait the more it costs.

As for programming: I'm glad you brought that up. How would you change it? What would you add? What would you get rid of? Would you bring in different GOHs? If you want change you have to tell them. I'm on the inside, trying to make some changes. Where my status is small, I have to start in the department I'm controlling (and believe me, compared to worldcons of old, I have asked for some big changes, and got a couple of them).
Will it bring extra people through the door? I don't know. I do say to everyone considering if they want to go please take into account that there is the rest of the convention to explore instead of the one area your interested in. You'd be foolish to put that kind of money down and not look at the rest of the convention (and that goes for any convention you attend, not just a worldcon).

I would love to see a major movie star as a GOH at a worldcon. It won't happen anytime soon, but I believe it would take somebody really popular to turn it around, especially if they agree to an autograph session. Imagine a Mark Hammill or Frodo from LOTR (chance on Hammill as slim as he charges a high fee for an appearance. Chances on Frodo in the US are 0. He will not travel outside of Europe).
Just 1 would be a great addition.

If the Star Trek con is run by Creation: don't go. It's a corporate run joke. You can't get near anybody, your odds of getting just one autograph are next to nothing unless you're willing to wait in line for 3 hours or more, and everything is overpriced.
Head to the fan club run cons. I was at one last month. The only star I knew was Marina Sirtis. I was flabbergasted when I found out that the one sitting next to her on the opposite side of the door (I was set up in the dealers room) was the original voice of Kodachi from Ranma 1/2. Her character was recently killed off in Stargate SG-1, so she's hitting the convention circuit. You never know who you're going to run into at those, and in some cases a small crowd (only about 2000 at max) is nice. Also, it's cheap (dealers room is loaded with deals, too).

Boston does get an annual SF/comic book/anime convention. It's a joke. It's a huge dealers room with one section for GOH panels (and to get a seat for one will set you back), and space for the guests to sign. Unlike a fan club convention, these guys are all profit, and you figure that out fast when you walk through the door. You're complaining about $180 now, but by the time you get through with a convention like this one, $180 is going to be cheap. Stars charge for autographs depending on what you want them to sign. The highest I saw was $100 for rare collectibles featuring Billy Dee Williams. He's even got a contract to make exclusive action figures sold only at that convention. Most comic book artists sign for free, but even the cult stars charge $15 - $20. If 9 or 10 show up, you're in trouble. Although it is one of the few options in obtaining an autograph that you wouldn't normally be able to get, I don't like these. They're fun to go to if you're shopping or talking with the comic book guys, but I don't like the corporate outlook. To each his own on this one.

If you want to see something at a worldcon, tell them. There is a program blog set up just for that purpose. Post an idea. It will be noticed by the person in charge of the department. They won't change until you tell them to, and you and I both appear to agree that a change is needed.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As for programming: I'm glad you brought that up. How would you change it? What would you add? What would you get rid of? Would you bring in different GOHs? If you want change you have to tell them. I'm on the inside, trying to make some changes. Where my status is small, I have to start in the department I'm controlling (and believe me, compared to worldcons of old, I have asked for some big changes, and got a couple of them).

We did tell them. We offered to run an anime room for them free, we got the finger of silence. Science fiction novels suck today, there's a handful of authors turning out decent product. FIlm/TV/animation is where it's at, dump most of the literarySF programming, more mass media. Invite George Lucas, invite Spielburg, invite the more reclusive people who will be protected by the humongous membership fee. In other words, if you're going to charge me $180 to get in on the cheapest rate, I expect to get my money's worth. Thus far there is nothing I can't get at WizardWorld for $20. I've seen the program book from Philly Worldcon. Aside from a few stellar literary guests it was a total snooze

quote] Chances on Frodo in the US are 0. He will not travel outside of Europe).[/quote]

What are you talking about? Elijah Wood is American and lives in LA. Billy and Dominic would come almost guaranteed, and Sean Astin might do it if the event were right.

Quote:
You're complaining about $180 now, but by the time you get through with a convention like this one, $180 is going to be cheap. Stars charge for autographs depending on what you want them to sign. The highest I saw was $100 for rare collectibles featuring Billy Dee Williams. He's even got a contract to make exclusive action figures sold only at that convention. Most comic book artists sign for free, but even the cult stars charge $15 - $20.

Yup, and I won't pay it to them. If I'm providing the item, and getting it personalized $5 is more than fair for 1.5 seconds of their time to sign it. I've been doing cons for awhile, I know the details. $180 to get in the door is excessive. I'm not going to Gatecon because they're charging $150. They can bite me. If I was guaranteed a tour of Stargate Command, a chance to see the prop closet and to meet the entire cast(RDA has yet to attend), I'd pay it. That's value for the money.

Quote:
If 9 or 10 show up, you're in trouble. Although it is one of the few options in obtaining an autograph that you wouldn't normally be able to get, I don't like these. They're fun to go to if you're shopping or talking with the comic book guys, but I don't like the corporate outlook. To each his own on this one.

CorporateCon does suck. But I don't think Eliza Dushku is doing any cons she's not getting a fat check for.

Quote:
If you want to see something at a worldcon, tell them. There is a program blog set up just for that purpose. Post an idea. It will be noticed by the person in charge of the department. They won't change until you tell them to, and you and I both appear to agree that a change is needed.

I did, they told me to f*ck off. I offered to help for free. They told me to f*ck off. F*ck them. No con, just based on raw admission price is worth that kind of cash without tangible benefit
[/quote]
bemanisuperstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Sci Fi Conventions are for total complete lifeless dorks.......
Anime has no place there.......Oh wait...........No I stand by my statement....Unless you're an Otaku
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:17 pm Reply with quote
bemanisuperstar wrote:
Sci Fi Conventions are for total complete lifeless dorks.......
Anime has no place there.......Oh wait...........No I stand by my statement....Unless you're an Otaku

...Really. And just how are the fat, squealing fangirls in crappy Inu-Yasha costumes different from the fat, grunting fanboys in crappy Klingon costumes?

The high & mighty act doesn't cut it, just so you know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:04 pm Reply with quote
They aren't that different at all. Smile

And since our club runs an anime room at our local sci-fi con each year, with all the crossover material, it makes sense. We've shown a lot of the fantasy/sci-fi genre over the last 3 years, and plan to do it again this year as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
nagash

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:37 am Reply with quote
I don't know about Philly, but this years group has its own anime troup. They're running the anime program.

I agree with a Spielberg or Lucas appearance. I think Spielberg would be better, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I know an autograph dealer that actually goes to Europe to get LOTR signatures. I'll have to look at the page again, but I could've sworn he said Frodo. In any case, even if Frodo does do a US show, it won't be cheap. He alone might drive the price up to get in.

And, for those of you who haven't been to any SF cons; it's all true...the costumes at an SF con are just as wacky as those at an anime con. The last SF con I was at was UnitedFanConEast. A smurf actually walked through the door. This was the day after the overweight demon in a red fishnet shirt, black leather shorts and platforms.
Nicer costumes came in the form of a pilot from Battlestar Galactica, a tie-fighter pilot, stormtrooper, Imperial guard, Imperial Lt., and a Naboo guard (501st was there), and a couple of Stargate security guards. No Klingons this time, but I did notice a Klingon bumper sticker in the parking lot. There were some starfleet uniforms but one of the fan clubs was there hoping to sign up some new members.
That convention doesn't have a masquerade, though, and they still dress up. For the Worldcon this year, DiscWorld is the theme, so lots of people will be dressing up as characters from that series.
Costuming is generally done at most 'fan' based conventions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1