• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Case Closed Release Details

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:13 am Reply with quote
Izlude, I'm well aware of the issue of shopping around. I was breaking down the prices based on the typical MSRP. Although you and I may only pay that much in the end per DVD when we go out and buy that, the average consumer walking into a place like Suncoast will pay the higher amount.

I haven't heard exactly how well supported it was for the higher price point for more episodes, but it's a shame that such a business model didn't succeed. Whether it was because of the profitability or not though is another matter. The truth is, in the end they gain a higher profit margin when it is 3-4 eps per DVD. Either way, it is the consumer who suffers because of that. I like having more space on my shelves, and I consider it a shame that they will insist on a lower episode count than necessary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:42 am Reply with quote
It's not like Detective Conan's finished in Japan, so what's the rush?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:30 am Reply with quote
Hmm. After reading that headline, I now see why you all are complaining.

I haven't seen any Detective Conan, ever. And I never even heard of him until I saw a character from a video game that was supposed to parody him.

Maybe they should put reverse slip covers in the DVDs so that they have the actual numbers on them, that way, fans can have the series go in order.

I don't know, they're just being weird now... Rolling Eyes
Professor Genius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
That's just it though... I think a 3 ep per DVD release of any large series is going to scare potential buyers away. The fact of the matter is, that people are going to do the math and realize that 24.95 per DVD with a series that will span 34 DVD's is just too large of an investment to make. It's exactly what the fan community doesn't want.

at 34 DVD's X 24.95 = 848.30

at 25 DVD's X 29.95 = 748.75

Now at 17 DVD's (6 eps per, like FB) X 39.95 = 679.15

I suspect they will get a better selling point if they do increase the eps per DVD, but I'm not holding my breath.

While I do agree that 3 episodes per disk makes for tons of space being taken up, the price per episode is about on par with your average anime release. The real reason behind the episode count is that they want to be able to price the disks at $14.96 so that they can sell them to retail venues like Wal-Mart and Target. If that price doesn't suit your fancy, I'm certain that there will be boxsets down the road eventually. Hell, beats the prices that Viz has on their Inu Yasha DVDs. As for the episode 53-55 thing....honestly I have no clue.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh, okay... now I understand why they're doing it. One of those episodes is a one-hour special (rather than a two-parter), presumably with better animation and more excitement than a typical episode. If you're trying to sell a series to the people outside the anime fandom niche watching Adult Swim for Aqua Teen Hunger Force or the Family Guy reruns, it does make sense to show what is supposedly one of the best examples of what the series has to offer really early on, especially if it is for a series where the episode order isn't as important.

Unfortunately, I can't find a good Conan page with complete summaries of every episode, for anyone curious as to what happens in this episode, just episode listings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shorty22

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
If they wanted to use the whole "not yet shown on TV!" gimmick, why not just release each DVD 2 weeks in advance before the episodes are slated to air?

I once asked about that, and I was told there was a rule (probably Cartoon Network's?) that episodes shown on TV can't be sold on DVD until at least two months after they've aired. (And that's why we so rarely see firm release dates for anime that's going to be on TV...would explain the GitS delay.)

Well, Yu Yu Hakusho has a good chunk released onto DVD then is aired on TV, while Inuyasha is aired on TV, followed by the DVDs. And didn't Witch Hunter Robin have a DVD (or two) out before it started it's first run? I never really thought there was order or reason behind the way these things were done...
Tamakun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I haven't seen any Detective Conan, ever. And I never even heard of him until I saw a character from a video game that was supposed to parody him.

As an aside, what game was that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2