• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 09-10-08

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
<excess>

Oh, now I'm tempted to make the "Laputa Lovers" just to see what sort of reaction I get...

Well, everybody loves la puta. Laughing

I had a feeling that I would get that sort of reaction, but I couldn't come up with a better name... Laughing (Nausicaa's Nerds? Miyazaki's Maidens?)

Howl's Harem?
Spirit of Miyazaki? (A play on a famous airplane and alluding to Hayao's useage of flight in many of his movies)
Totoro's Tarts?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
<excess>

Oh, now I'm tempted to make the "Laputa Lovers" just to see what sort of reaction I get...

Well, everybody loves la puta. Laughing

I had a feeling that I would get that sort of reaction, but I couldn't come up with a better name... Laughing (Nausicaa's Nerds? Miyazaki's Maidens?)

Howl's Harem?
Spirit of Miyazaki? (A play on a famous airplane and alluding to Hayao's useage of flight in many of his movies)
Totoro's Tarts?

Laputards? Laughing
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Though if I had the opportunity to meet Johnny Bosh, I'd be extremely tempeted to say "Its morphing time". If anyone actually understands why, then they deserve praise.

I'm a frog. Sad Wink

I guess it would go just like that. I remember that do you know directors survey thing- and only extremely known directors were known.

VAs are the main thing, even though they wouldn't have a voice to do without the directors.

I'd like to meet some va's...Chris Patton mostly. But directors...Ann probably. We can be emo together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MBF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Akukaze wrote:
I heard that they were just releasing the 7th movie on Blu-Ray in a double-pack with the new PS3 UMD Cleaning Sim game (tentative title: Mop to the Top!! 2). Can anyone confirm?

That's the first I've heard of any new game for UMD. Are you implying that we're going to get the game before Japan does?
cat_clan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
It's true the fact that most of the times at bigger conventions US VA get muuuuch more fan attention than Japanese creators, producers and VA. I have seen it before and it's a very sad fact. At AX I have seen empty lines for Japanese figures and really crowded lines for the US VA just steps away.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
I agree with this SO hard. I don't see why people spaz over Vic Mignogna or whatever, but could care less if, say, Hiromu Arakawa showed up. WTF, fandom?

Different experiences, that's all. A lot of people "know" Vic from a lot of conventions, and although he has some pretty vocal detractors, he provides a really good attendee experience (for his fans) that has created a following for himself. If Hiromu Arakawa showed up, they might care, or they might not.

Quote:
I'd really like to meet Katsura Hoshino or Bisco Hatori, but Acen isn't even putting much effort into getting Japanese guests in the first place, which makes me SO mad.

If you think about just how many Japanese guests ACen really does get, you may begin to see the problem which leads to this Nina's (very) real scenario (and indeed, your question above). From a standpoint of "does this convention bring over guests from Japan?" (directors, manga artists, character designers, producers) ACen absolutely succeeds. If the question becomes "does this convention bring over guests from Japan that will satisfy Maryohki?" then they apparently go from being very successful to putting so little effort into the task that it angers you.

For each convention where I solicit suggestions for guests to invite (I'm guest relations manager for three of them), the suggestions for Japanese guests are incredibly diverse -- so diverse that no two people seem to have any interest in the same guest. Everyone gets really excited about their own obscure suggestion (my favorite so far is the very enthusiastic request for some guy who's best known for playing a character from a stage musical adaptation of The Prince of Tennis), but no one appears to care at all about anyone else's suggestion.

I know that personally I'd be completely stoked to meet Taeko Watanabe, because I'm amazed by the level of research that she puts into creating Kaze Hikaru. I also know that the number of people besides myself that I know that I could honestly expect to be excited to meet her is precisely ONE. Getting Japanese guests gives a convention a certain cachet, but Japanese guests just really aren't appreciated very much by attendees unless those attendees are actually fans of that guest's work.

As for fighterholic's question: "Does this imply that American VAs are more popular than anime staff from Japan?"

Yes.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Of course.

How many Japanese staff can hold a competent conversation with the English fans? Having an interpreter for anyone who isn't a really big name is unlikely.
Hi-Chan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Nina better stay clear of Jerry s fangirls this time:those spork wounds might have left scars!
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Kiriska wrote:
I think the language barrier has a lot to do with it. After all, if the only thing you can stutter out is a shy "hajimemashite," it's not much of a meeting. On the other hand, you can actually converse with American VA's, so that's probably why a lot of kids go for that.

On the other hand, when creators host panels and Q&As with a translator rather than just having signing sessions, plenty of people show up. CLAMP's appearance at AX for example...

Um. I was there, and the room was half empty. Granted it was a very large room, but it wasn't nearly the turnout that people had hoped for, given the expense.

But I think your note about the language barrier is part of it.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
An American VA is more popular than one of the creators of an anime? You mean there are actually people who prefer American voices over the original Japanese? Anime dazed

Based on actual panel attendance and discussion, autograph lines, and online postings... a typical dub actor draws 3-5 times as many people as a major Japanese seiyu.

It's kind of depressing to keep tabs on peoples' journals where they complain for months about the lack of seiyu, then you get that person's favorite guest, and a month later you read that they didn't bother to show up for any of the panels or appearances or autographings....because they were busy cosplaying and being random and bitching about how there was nothing to do.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote
jvowles wrote:
It's kind of depressing to keep tabs on peoples' journals where they complain for months about the lack of seiyu, then you get that person's favorite guest, and a month later you read that they didn't bother to show up for any of the panels or appearances or autographings....because they were busy cosplaying and being random and bitching about how there was nothing to do.

Ouch Anime hyper Yes, that is disappointing.

I wonder how these Japanese guests (seiyuu or others) feel when they see the difference in attendance. Do they tell you not to bother inviting them next time?
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
It is because they are most likley noobs there for Naruto. Or they are just into the popular titles and don't know.

I would NEVER care to see an adub voice actor to me they aren't anything compared to the original voice. I would only care if they did a cartoon like say Zim or an Eighties cartoon but that isn't why I would be at an anime convention.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I think the language barrier issue is overstated, unless you're intending "language barrier" as code for "can't pretend to be interested in my conversation and make me think they're my buddy for 10 mins." This is in no way intended to imply that American VAs are jerks or evil people, but instead to point out that many fans THINK they've got some deep connection with the guests that's really just a good job of "being friendly" by the guest.

Plus, Japanese guests can't answer "how can I become a voice actor" for the billionth time.
jvowles wrote:
Based on actual panel attendance and discussion, autograph lines, and online postings... a typical dub actor draws 3-5 times as many people as a major Japanese seiyu.

I watched a kid cosplaying a box of Pocky get a better reaction than some Japanese guests. That's a sign of what "anime" fandom is now, and why I think people over-estimate the number of anime fans.
Quote:

That has got to be the MOST annoying thing. If you have some life issue that keeps you from going, then fine. But if you scream about how you'd give ANYTHING to see "so-&-so" and then later say how you missed them when they were there, then you're just an over-dramatic liar. I'm also disappointed when people say that and then won't go to another nearby con because "it's too far". (I kinda get it if you live East Coast and the guest is on the West Coast, altho even then if you'd give ANYTHING then go see em, but if it's only like 1 state over and you can't be bothered then shut up)
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
If people enjoy the dub then people enjoy the dub, I don't see how that is "sad" in any way, it's simply a matter of preference and their choice. Quite honestly, most of the creators I see on various conventions posters or advertisements are for series that just never interest me. The US VA's though usually have at least one series under their belt that I enjoyed. You simply cover more ground with voice actors than creators.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
It is because they are most likley noobs there for Naruto. Or they are just into the popular titles and don't know.

I would NEVER care to see an adub voice actor to me they aren't anything compared to the original voice. I would only care if they did a cartoon like say Zim or an Eighties cartoon but that isn't why I would be at an anime convention.

And to some of us, the Japanese actors are largely meaningless, and the American actors are whom we identify the character as. Differences of opinion are marvelous things, aren't they?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6