• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Satisfy my curiosity?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saxton

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:02 am Reply with quote
Folks,

I’m an old hand at anime bulletin boards, but I’m the new guy here so I thought I’d try to get a feel for the folks who haunt this place. Before I get started with the questions (a disclaimer follows) I want to make it perfectly clear that I’m not trying to start any arguments about which of any of these things is better than the others. I just want the straight poop (so to speak) for my own education and to better understand the people who post here.

I was wondering how many of you:
1. Have anime collections (size optional)
2. Still collect on VHS
3. Collect manga
4. Collect original production cels
5. Draw anime/manga
6. How long you’ve been into anime
7. Prefer Subs or Dubs

Fair is fair so I’ll go first.
1. I have a fair sized anime/animation collection (about 150 DVD’s and a dozen or so VHS). I was lucky enough to get in more or less on the ground floor of the DVD revolution and didn’t get too deep into VHS before I switched.

2. I do NOT collect anything on VHS anymore. I do not watch fansubs (which is still largely a VHS format). I am even slowly replacing my VHS collection with DVD’s.

3. I collect three manga series. Cowboy Bebop, Love Hina, and Oh! My Goddess. I’ve been considering picking up Bubblegum Crisis but haven’t done it as of yet. Oh, I’m also a big fan of the “graphic novel” compilations of the manga. Picking those up instead of each issue is just easier.

4. I do collect original production anime/animation cels, but I don’t buy very many of them. Finding cels I like is easy. Finding inexpensive cels is easy. Finding inexpensive cels that I like is difficult. My current personal favorite is actually not anime. It’s a nude profile of Taarna (from the Heavy Metal movie) kneeling in front of the pit that she gets her battle gear out of. It’s got the matching sketch and I had them matted and framed together.

5. Although I love to watch others draw and am fascinated by just about any artist’s ability, I can’t even draw stick figures…enough said.

6. I’ve been actively collecting and watching anime for about two and a half years now. I also find that I’ve become much more selective about what I purchase now that I’ve picked up most of my “must have” items.

7. I don’t buy anime unless it’s dubbed. That’s not a slam to folks who dig on subs, it’s just my own personal preference.

So there you have it…simple, straight forward, and more about me than my next door neighbor knows. So let’s have it…what are YOU all about?

Message Ends,

Saxton
Judau

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:23 am Reply with quote
1. Of course I have collection, I think everybody here does, at some size... I only have about 65 DVDs now, I would have tons more if I had the money... but I also have a collection of about 70 anime models and about 70-80 *anime* figures (not to mention my very large Star Wars...), so money is short when comes to actually buying DVDs. Plus, I have lots of games and systems.

2. I have about 20 VHS Anime tapes... mostly fansubs, although I do not really watch them anymore. I never buy anything on VHS anymore.

3. I want to collect Eva, Cowboy Bebop, and the Akira GNs, but I just don;t have the money. Whenever I get to anime stores or what not, I always wind up getting DVDs or models, and forget about manga. It's good stuff, though...

4. I wish, I would have no place to put them anyway.

5. I do draw, and am not very bad, but not really good either... Although, I never seem to have time to practice, so I don;t draw as much as I would like. THis also hinders getting *better* at it...

6. About 6 years, if you were to call it "hardcore", or whatever, I would say about 3 years.

7. Usually subs, I like the VAs more, not too many grunts and fillers... the oringinal intent on the lines and never cuts... some dubs are good too, but I still usually prefer sub. Late at night it has to be dubs, though, or else I fall asleep. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:16 pm Reply with quote
1. I haven't counted how many anime DVDs I own, but since they take up one entire DVD rack, it would probably be somewhere around 100 - 150. I also still have a ton of VHS that I watch occasionally....that's about 200-some tapes. And I collect Sailor Moon stuff....figures, toys, paper goods, cards...whatever. Then there's a few various figures from series (umm...5 that I can think of off-hand) and some games.

2. I don't buy anything on VHS anymore. (I even passed up buying Kiki's Delivery Service the other day because it was VHS....though, I may cave and actually buy that.)

3. Not a big manga fan. I do have some Sailor Moon.....cause I have a Sailor Moon collection Wink

4. The only cel I have is the free one I got when I bought Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

5. I can't draw my way out of a paper bag. (What?!?! I forgot to draw the opening?!?! Dang.)

6. Oh geez...how long have I been into anime.....About 10 years? Maybe a lil more.....

7. I generally watch dubs for a variety of reasons. But I will watch something subbed once in awhile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Spatula

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:02 pm Reply with quote
1, 2, & 6. I have quite a few fansubs on VHS (several hundred) as I've been collecting since 1990 - and it sure wasn't easy! I also have a fair number of LDs (~60). I've stopped collecting VHS and LDs though since DVD is well on it's way. I only have 19 domestic DVDs so far because I've spent most of my money on collecting Anime OSTs, which are very expensive (~$30+ per CD), although, I've slowed down doing that - I collect mostly Anime CD Singles, which are STILL expensive (~10+ per CD). I hope to get rid of my VHS collection and replace it with DVDs, but I bet by the time I do that, I bet we'll have another format! Uguu...

3. I pick up the occasional manga, but not too often since I spend it on anime-related things. My current favorites are Azumanga Daiô, Chobits (the original version since the pictures and book are much nicer than the Tokyopop version - low quality scans), and Blade of the Immortal

4. I don't collect too many cels, but I have two gems:
- A shot of Kurumi and Manami from Kimagure Orange Road signed by Takada Akemi
- A shot of Kazumi from Gunbuster signed by Mikimoto Haruhiko
Both good shots, and well worth the time and effort.

5. Nope, not me; too lazy... all those art classes to waste...

7. I prefer subs, but that's because I like to hear the Japanese and try to add to my knowledge. Also, a lot of the cultural jokes are lost in translations, so if you know what they're actually saying, then you can enrich the experience by tying it into the culture. This is not to say that I don't like dubs; in fact, I think some english dubs are actually pretty good, and typically show these to friends who are just getting into anime.

Well, I hope this satisfies your curiosity a bit, and welcome to the forum! I'm pretty new myself, heh...
Hotaru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I have tons of DVD's. Tons. We have five boxsets, and several series in full. I don't know the exact number, but they fill up our cabinet, that's for sure.

2. Still collect on VHS
Hah hah, nay i say. We are[i/] keeping the nadia tapes we have because we like the dub better than the new one, but we don't buy tapes anymore.

3. Collect manga
Certainly. There's much too much to list, but we buy practically all the manga that's sold in the comic store (and it's quite a bit)

No, not really. We just haven't gotten into it really.

5. Draw anime/manga
I attempted to draw anime characters, but realized that i suck horribly. i did draw the blimp from short program 2 the other day...

Ano....maybe like...five or six years?

7. Prefer Subs or Dubs
It all depends. Ow, Vicious just bit me. Ow ow ow. Anyway, let's take Cowboy bebop for example. I like the dub better than the sub. Maybe the same thing with Lodoss Wars and Slayers. And Nadia, as previously mentioned. The japanese is good for Nadia, (i ain't saying that any of the japanese versions are bad persay), and i like it, but i like the dub too.

Now if you'll excuse me, i must glare evilly at my bird and shake my fist at him. Gooday Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 3:16 pm Reply with quote
1. Okay, I actually got off my lazy bum and counted my DVD's 79 total, with 4 VHS.
2. No, Especially since DVD's you can watch on Dub or Sub (Which is really handy when the dub starts to suck) and of course, some of the extra stuff.
3. I used to a year ago. But ever since GSC ended it's run in 2001, I decided to stop collecting.
4. No, never was interested in those
5. I used to be really good at drawing mecha in High School, but I stopped doodling shorty after my senior year.
6. let me see here, I started in 96, so about 6 years now.
7. I agree with Chief (appearently that's your new nick name dude), anyway, It all depends. Cowboy Bebop has a pretty good dub, and generally I like to listen to dubs, unless the voice acting begins to irritate me (like some parts of MS Team) then I switch to sub.
Cgoten

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Last time I counted (a few weeks ago) I had 76 DVDs and over 40 VHS tapes.

2. Still collect on VHS
The only series I'm still buying on VHS is Dragon Ball Z. Once the last 4 tapes are released I'm done with VHS.

3. Collect manga
I'm currently buying Love Hina, Dragon Ball and Real Bout High School. I have a few issues of Animerica Extra and I already subscribed to Shonen Jump.

Nope, don't really have an intrest in them.

5. Draw anime/manga
I wish.

I think about 6 years, I've only been buying stuff for about 2½ years though.

7. Prefer Subs or Dubs
It depends on the series and what time it is. I can't stand the Love Hina dub but I don't mind most dubs. When it's late I don't like to read the subs. Memories of watching 6 episodes of Bebop in a row every day subbed...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Judau

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Cgoten, only 6 episodes in a row?! It is really fun to watch whole series straight! Cowboy Bebop (twice), Evangelion (twice), and Trigun.... those are memories..... now just think how many hours that is total... wow. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BC Anime

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:18 pm Reply with quote
1) yea i have a collection, its small, but then again, i just started collecting
2) i collect dvd and vhs
3) manga is cool =D
4) i want to, but haven't yet Sad
5) i do fanart when i get the chance
6) since 8th grade (bout 2 years ago?)
7) i like both, i'm not really into that whole sub vs dub war...either way is perfectly fine with me =\
Cgoten

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Judau wrote:

Cgoten, only 6 episodes in a row?!

My eyes must suck... I'm probably gonna have to get glasses soon, probably within a year. >_< I'll never wear them though. Very Happy Oops, this is pretty off topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ramen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I never new how many I had till I counted just now. I have 180ish DVDs with 8 more in the mail. Although, do you count the Fushigi Yugi Boxes as 1 or 4 each? I don't have any legit VHS tapes, but I have a box full of second generation taped stuff. I also have anime music CDs, wall scrolls, action figures, one Gundam model kit (never built) and various other knick knacks.

2. Still collect on VHS
I never collected VHS. I was a poor student when the VHS tapes were big. Once I started making money, DVD's were the popular thing to get.

3. Collect manga
As of now, (non-graphic novel) Ranma 1/2, Oh My Goddess, Tenchi and Eva. (graphic novel) X, Gunsmith Cats, Chobits, Love Hina, Sorcerer Hunters, Kodocha.

Never got into this.

5. Draw anime/manga
I tried. I failed.

Whoo boy. If you count when I saw Robotech, then 18 years? I guess I was more hardcore only for the last 10-12 years.

7. Prefer Subs or Dubs
I love this question. I personally like subs better for the following reasons:
- I am used to it. When I really started watching anime, there were no dubs (at least dubs worth listening to).
- I am a fan of many Japanese seiyuu
- I am trying to learn Japanese, so it helps me train my ear.
- There are some cultural reference that get lost in the dubs.

I also like dubs, I just prefer subs in general. Two notable exeptions though. I like the dub of Hellsing more (so far) and I like the dub of Dragonball Z. Ahem, the Japanese Goku sounds like a girl. Wink

Note: I don't think that subs necessarily portray more of the original intent. Dubs and Subs both need to be translated, so who's to say one is more accurate than the other? The only way to really enjoy the original intent is to learn Japanese, IMO.
Judau

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 6:26 pm Reply with quote
You do know that Gokou's voice IS a girl right, just don;t like that sound for a guy? Eh, I like hers better.... whatever, off topic. Sorry!
Ramen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Judau wrote:

You do know that Gokou's voice IS a girl right

Hehe, yes I did know. Doesn't change my opinion though. Wanna talk about good male voice done my a female, I present Himura Kenshin. Okay, need to stay on topic now.

[edit]woohoo, 100th post[/edit]
nagash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:47 pm Reply with quote
1. I honestly don't know off hand. Money is very tight so I haven't bought any anime for quite a while now. Still, over the years, I have put enough together enough to fill a gateway computer box (that's what I store them in).
2. I didn't get a DVD player until last Christmas. As such, I have a lot of VHS tapes. Only Irresponsible Cptn. Tyler and Robotech are on DVD. Everything else is still on VHS. I will pick up a VHS if I know the title in question won't be making an appearance over hear anytime soon, if at all. For instance, I don't think Houeshin will be making an appearance in this country if it hasn't already.
3. Once upon a time. I was a big comic book collector. I managed to get my hands on a lot of chase covers. I have the original Gen13's, Preacher #1, etc. As far as Manga goes, if the series is already too far gone then I'll go for the graphic novel. If it's only a few issues into the series then I'll try to pick up the comics. I have #1 and 2 of Ghost In The Shell. The first 5 of Ranma 1/2 (first two in color), all but one from You're Under Arrest, and even a few Dominion: Tank Police.
4. Cels can get to be very expensive. I like them. I'd love to buy them, but I just can't afford it. I did buy one as a gift for my wife, though. Ryoga is looking over his shoulder. She hung it one the wall.
5. I share your pain. I, too, cannot draw to save my behind. My wife has always drawn in anime style, however.
6. See the thread entitled First anime's.
7. Definitely sub over dub. I was watching anime when the first companies made their way over here. ADV, Animeigo, Manga, Nippon, CPM, MediaBlasters, etc. You learned fast who you could trust. Manga put out the best as far as I'm concerned. They didn't play with the story when they dubbed them. ADV changed phrases even when they subbed, and they never released a straight series until Nadeisco and Evangelion (the difference between Galaxy Fraulien Yuna 1 and 2 is about 3 seasons).
Most companies I looked at left the subbed versions alone while they changed the dub. For most of the people I knew who were into anime at the time, the practice was considered dispicable. I haven't bought anything from ADV in years. Manga and Animeigo are still OK, though.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 2:44 am Reply with quote
Saxton wrote:

2. Still collect on VHS
3. Collect manga
5. Draw anime/manga
7. Prefer Subs or Dubs

*le sigh* These sorts of polls always make me feel pitiful.

1. In total, it's about ~1000-1200 units, consisting of ~800 VHS, ~200 DVD, ~50 LD, with the remainder in other formats (beta, hi8, vcd, etc.)

My collection might vaguely remind you of the the guy from Otaku No Video -- the fat one with all the tapes.. That's me. Except that I'm not fat, nor am I japanese. :(

About 1/2 of the VHS are either fansubbed, raw copies off of Japanese TV, or are taped off of American TV. 3/4ths of the other half are domestic VHS. The remainder are import VHS. I'm not sure how much stuff I've got, in part because the last time I made a listing of everything, my power supply died and took my HD with it. :(

I also collect lots and lots of anime CDs.. ~_~

2. I'll still buy stuff on VHS if (a) there is no DVD release, or (b) there will not be a DVD release for a long time. Thus, Miyazaki's stuff, and Digimon.

3. Yes, quite a bit. I prefer collecting things with lots of pages to translate, rather than specific stories, generally.

OTOH, I do pick up specific domestic titles (Marmalade Boy, Peach Girl, Card Captor Sakura) as well as certain import titles (Azumanga Daioh [4 volumes, but an excellent story in the end.. i highly recommend it!], Chicchana Yukitsukai Sugar, Hikaru no Go).

4. I have a feeling I would go broke insanely quickly if I started buying cels. Thus, I avoid'em like the plague.

5. I realized, about 3 weeks after starting, that I had no real talent, and so I jumped out of the pool.

6. Excluding Robotech/Voltron, etc... I purchased my first anime tape (Iria: Zeiram the Animation vol. 1) on 1/31/1997. I had been watching anime for a while prior to that, though..

The most accurate time I can come up with is "After the local pool opened, around the time of the Project A-Ko: College Years fanfic [8/14/96], and before the Penn State Shooting".. which means I first encountered Project A-Ko, Ranma 1/2, and Ghost in the Shell sometime between May 31st and September 17th, 1996.. (in fact, I'll go as far as saying that I stumbled across Project A-Ko on August 10th or 11th, in the early afternoon.. but I think I had seen Ranma before then..)

This is, of course, excluding a short and boring story about how I first heard about Akira in 4th grade (1990-1991).. but I won't go into that here. :)

I would have a more exact Ranma date, but Archive.org is a little paranoid with their robot.txt file implementation and retroactively disallows lookups. That means domain squatters can _KILL_ public access to their archive, for the mere price of the domain name. :p

7. Raw Japanese. Who needs translations when you can do 'em yourself? :D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2