• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Anime have you found the most touching?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackDragon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:45 am Reply with quote
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien. Now that was a good drama.
But I'd have to say the most touching one was the Rurouni
Kenshin Seisouhen OAV. I was a big fan throughout the series and manga. Yes, the anime almost butchered the entire revenge arc, but it was still good enough to make a tear roll down my cheak... for real. Crying or Very sad
gunhoe86

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:04 am Reply with quote
my vote's on trigun. spoiler[the speech wolfwood gives when he dies is breathtaking. i also love the part when millie(i think) throws him his cross, she says that it's really heavy. he replies with, "that's because it's so full of mercy." i also can't get over how pure-hearted vash is. when he had his gun pointed at that guy's eye on the ground(its been forever since I've seen it), then stood up and walked away and trusted that he wouldn't get up and shoot him in the back, that really touched me.] that series has more so than any other series.

chobits comes in a close second. spoiler[in the few last seconds when ms. hibiya erases chii's memory and hideki hits the floor, my heart and jaw hit the floor with him. it's a good thing everything ended well in that show.]

evangelion touched me greatly too in a personal growth/getting rid of my own insecurities/boosting my self-value kind of way.

~JOSH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:39 am Reply with quote
gunhoe86 wrote:
evangelion touched me greatly too in a personal growth/getting rid of my own insecurities/boosting my self-value kind of way.

Yes, I suppose it does a teenager good to see that it is possible for someone else to be whiny, insecure and obnoxious, too. Wink

Going slightly off topic, here...

Although I think NGE is an all right anime as such, I find that my assessment of it differs significantly from most other anime fans, to wit:

1) There is not a single major character in the series that I find even remotely sympathetic. The one who comes closest is Kaji, and that is more by default.

2) Unlike the typical male fan response to the series, there is not a single one of the female characters in it that I'd touch with the proverbial ten foot pole. I believe that makes me unique, since the burning question everybody else seems to be discussing is not "Are they even worth the effort?" but "Which one do I desire the most?" Since I have this fetish about sanity, I have to say none of them turns my crank...

3) Shinji Ikari just annoys the hell out of me. I've never been a schoolyard bully, but I can recognise in him the kind of obnoxious qualities that would make anyone, even a saint, want to beat the living daylights out of him. Whiny little runt.

So I suppose it's safe to say that NGE doesn't move me emotionally, at all. It's a good anime with a weak ending (all of them), but that's about it...

Waiting in anticipation of the flames from outraged Evangelionoids,

-abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
syr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I agree with you on most of those points. I liked Eva, don't get me wrong. It was an interesting watch, and should be required viewing, but all the hype around it is nauseating.

Anyway! This topic could be hijacked so easily.. soo.. getting back on topic!

I also agree with what was previously said about Haibane Renmei. Especially when spoiler[Kuu left the Haibane to take the day of flight, and also towards the very end and the relationships between all the haibane.]
Pacific Pikachu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:51 pm Reply with quote
The last four episodes of Wolf's Rain were killer. I'm not normally someone who cries for anything, but episode 29 had my eyes watering, as did 30. These tears were not only for the sadness I was experiencing at the events that transpired, but also for the beauty and for the metaphorical meanings behind the series. So sad and horrific, but so beautiful. That series really changed the way I see the world.

Another one that really got me was Cowboy Bebop. There's something just oh-so-tragic about Spike's life, and the lives of the people around him. The last three episodes (24-26) were very touching, as well as very intense. I cried for a little while after I finished the series, but not while I was watching it. That series has so much to say about human nature and what happens to people who try to find their future in their past.

And, naturally, I was touched greatly by Grave of the Fireflies. It wasn't really something I cried in, but it was a more realistic and uplifting view of a human's struggle to be happy in a world of sadness than I have ever seen. It makes me both happy and sad to have seen it.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:46 pm Reply with quote
For me:

1. Grave for Fireflies (Sad, just so sad. Little children just shouldn't have to go through this sort of struggle).

2. Laputa, Castle in the Sky (spoiler[Bitter-sweet ending, what happens to Pazu and Sheeta as they leave their new friends the pirates? Back home? To Gondoa where Sheeta lived? The thought of friends parting ways always gets to me. And the destruction of Laputa....)].

3. Kiki's Delivery Service

4. Cowboy Bebop

5. Maison Ikkoku (the manga is even better!).

6. Trigun (Wolfwood's passing).

7. Cardcaptor Sakura (little moments here and there, like the part when Sakura meets spoiler[ that old man at the mansion who turns out to be her gramps(great-gramps)?)].

8. Ah! Megami Sama the Movie (spoiler[Belldandy losing her memory and Keiichi trying his level best to win her back)].

9. Boys Be (quite touching really, especially the last 2 episodes).

10. Escaflowne (TV series) (spoiler[ Again, friends parting ways, this always gets to me)].

11. Shin KOR the Movie (spoiler[ I know Madoka is the main babe in the series, but did anyone ever give Hikaru a chance?)].

12.Tenchi Muyo Movie 1 (spoiler[ Mommy's passing)].

13. Tenchi Muyo Movie 3 (spoiler[ Ryoko's frustration, Ayeka's heartache, Haruna's longing, bitter-sweet ending again)].

That's about all I can remember off-hand.
GoldHawk021

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Trigun was kinda sad. spoiler[When Rem and the whole crew was killed by Vash older brother Knives.] It show me that to be happy with your familiy cause in the next day they might be next to you.
nagash

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:46 am Reply with quote
I have to vote for Maison Ikkoku as well. That will make you laugh as much as it can make you cry (added bonus: if you're old enough, it will bring back a lot of memories).

Some other ones worth mentioning:

Apocalypse of Devilman - it's sick, it's disgusting, it's downright evil, but it will cave in hardcore marines (I know becaue I watched it with a friend who's in the marines). This one's interesting as it has one of the most gruesome murder scenes ever as well as one of the coolest combat scenes. If you do cry at the point in question, and I don't care how hardened you are, you more than likely will, it will be more out of shock than sentiment, but it will definitely move you. Note that I do not recommend this for anyone under 18 and anyone that can't handle extreme violence and blood.

Windaria - This one isn't exactly anime as it was produced in the US under Streamline Pictures but it is animated and the artwork is similar to Robotech in style (shading, background, color, etc.). This one builds and builds and builds until you crack, and there are 3 distinct points at which to crack. I find this one particularly interesting as it's the only animated feature I can think of that features a murder/suicide.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:22 am Reply with quote
nagash wrote:
Windaria ...... I find this one particularly interesting as it's the only animated feature I can think of that features a murder/suicide.

Serial Experiments Lain, episode 1 (suicide).
nagash

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:32 am Reply with quote
Ah, haven't gotten around to seeing that one yet. Thanks.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:29 am Reply with quote
Onegai Teacher - the main character's sister committed suicide. You see this in a f.l.a.s.h.b.a.c.k. (for some reason the board edits that word to be "bad word" - Laughing )

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:43 am Reply with quote
Ken Hayashi wrote:
nagash wrote:
Windaria ...... I find this one particularly interesting as it's the only animated feature I can think of that features a murder/suicide.

Serial Experiments Lain, episode 1 (suicide).

There are a few of those in Boogiepop Phantom, as well. Most notably spoiler[Saki, the music prodigy who slit her wrists while sitting at her father's piano.]

abunai wrote:
f.l.a.s.h.b.a.c.k. (for some reason the board edits that word to be "bad word" - Laughing )

flashback

EDIT: Damn, it does! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AoFRyo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:55 am Reply with quote
R.O.D TV and Yu Yu Hakusho is the anime that got me touched plus virtua fighter TV as well.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:02 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

abunai wrote:
f.l.a.s.h.b.a.c.k. (for some reason the board edits that word to be "bad word" - Laughing )

bad word

EDIT: Damn, it does! Laughing

I can just picture it: "No no no, we can't have them using the F-word. It leads to teen pregnancies and drug abuse - I read that in an article in Newsweek! Oprah says so, too."

This sort of reminds me, in a roundabout way, of the start of the "most violent anime" thread, where "cussing" and "sex" were listed by the poster as attributes of "violent anime".

- abunai
xxmiyuxx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:24 am Reply with quote
I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said, but I thought

R.O.D.: spoiler[Just that feeling of betrayal, and not wanting to believe Miss Deep would turn The Paper over to the enemy so easily.]
Haibene Renmei: spoiler[I actually didn't realize they were all suicides. The thought had crossed my mind, but there were so many children...how could they do that to themselves?!]
Grave of the Fireflies: No need to say more....

But I have always thought that Vampire Princess Miyu was sad. Especially the manga. When she is remembering her past, and how she became what she was...always got to me a little.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 15