• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: Legal Action Against Copyright Violators

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised by "how many" (I have no way of knowing how many people have participated in the poll" consider an imported DVD to be an acceptable alternative to illegal downloads, including "raw" Japanese DVDs. For me, I selected all of the options except for the import options, assuming those options are in a "domestic" format (English subs or dubs, R1/RA/R0, "unblocked" online content) as these would suggest either a license or an attempt at an alternative by the studio. I was hesitant to include VOD and theatrical releases since those are temporary and usually limited in how many people will actually see them, but for the most part those would also indicate a license so i included them.

As far as online content quality goes I have different expectations for streams and downloads. For streaming video I'm alright with ANN quality since I find it reasonable for there to be a certain amount of compression to make it watchable. However, for downloads I see no reason for DVD quality to at least be an option.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I selected everything except the "import" options as well.

Looks like most people who took this poll have similar opinions to mine.

For the minimum quality, I picked the ANN player.

Last edited by Megiddo on Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
krelyan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I agree, the last question probably should have been separated out. But for the minimum quality for a free stream, I don't see why Youtube-quality is considered so vastly unreasonable. Confused
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised that so far I seem to share the views of the other participants. Of course so many of the people that would choose the "free for everyone no matter what" type options don't tend to participate at this site.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, looks like many people agree with me. I pretty much selected everything but the import raw option (though thinking about the region code, the import with subtitle probably isn't really 'acceptable' either, unless it's region free).

I just wonder about the 2.5% who say that bootleggers who sell for profit should never be prosecuted...
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Eh? I selected only the imported DVD options. Isn't that what most subtitled anime is? Take the original footage, stick the subtitles on, presto.
And from a European perspective it's always imported anyway because it's made for N-America first.

Regarding legal action, I think it should only be taken against companies/organizations that profit from illegal activities, not against individual fans.

DRM and region blocking are evils that exist only for the movie industry to make even more money by selling their products at a higher price abroad.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I'm surprised by "how many" (I have no way of knowing how many people have participated in the poll" consider an imported DVD to be an acceptable alternative to illegal downloads

I choose those options knowing full well that they were technically illegal. To me the owners of the product are still getting there money, and it's a good faith effort by the consumer to do the right thing. Plus if you live in Albania, I would much rather them buy an American or Japanese DVD, than to burn a fansub to a DVD. The only options I left unchecked were the first two.

I am surprised that the first three questions are fairly even between the pirate(2+4)/anti-pirate(1+3) answers. I figured ANN's reader base would have a more obtain legally mentality, but I guess I am wrong on that. I wonder how this survey would look on AoD? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I skipped the last two questions, because I couldn't find myself figuring out how I should answer them. Some of those answers I couldn't even apply to myself.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Why bother even asking about minimum acceptable video? Every single non-blind person should be choosing 720p. If not, ANTA BAKA?

Quote:
I agree, the last question probably should have been separated out. But for the minimum quality for a free stream, I don't see why Youtube-quality is considered so vastly unreasonable. Confused

Unless it's HD or forced into HD, it is unreasonable. I can't speak for everyone, but I happen to enjoy stereo sound and not seeing artifacts ruining images.
Mr. Anobe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...well I got one thing to say about this survey even though I skipped one of the questions.

Bootleggers and DRM are evil in both "worlds". Evil or Very Mad
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I am sure there is never going to be agreement on what is acceptable but for me I would be perfectly happy with free streamed anime (ads are perfectly fine) of series that are currently airing in Japan with subtitles. These should not be available to keep. While I would prefer quality like Hulu videos I could live with youtube quality if it was free.

I think there should be options to pay for high quality downloads of these series. These should be commercial free and you should be able to keep them. Personally I have no interest in paying for downloads but I think this option should be available for those who do.

As someone who is a collector however I think keeping the physical media (such as DVDs and Blu-ray) is important. If I like what I see of those free streamed anime series then I would like to collect these series to own. Right now I watch fansubs just to watch not to keep. However if I think an anime series is worth keeping then I want to have the physical DVD on my shelf.

In this way everyone is happy you have the:

* free streamed video for those who just want to watch
* The download to own for those who want higher quality but don't care about the physical item
* The physical item for the collectors

Well okay I am sure not everyone is happy with this scenario but I think it covers a large number of bases. And I think in this case options are important.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
nagashi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
DRM that works properly and always allows me to watch content I paid for on whatever platform I choose? Sounds nice, but then again so does Belldandy. And neither of them exist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Labbes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I am sure there is never going to be agreement on what is acceptable but for me I would be perfectly happy with free streamed anime (ads are perfectly fine) of series that are currently airing in Japan with subtitles. These should not be available to keep. While I would prefer quality like Hulu videos I could live with youtube quality if it was free.

I think there should be options to pay for high quality downloads of these series. These should be commercial free and you should be able to keep them. Personally I have no interest in paying for downloads but I think this option should be available for those who do.

As someone who is a collector however I think keeping the physical media (such as DVDs and Blu-ray) is important. If I like what I see of those free streamed anime series then I would like to collect these series to own. Right now I watch fansubs just to watch not to keep. However if I think an anime series is worth keeping then I want to have the physical DVD on my shelf.

* The download to own for those who want higher quality but don't care about the physical item

Well okay I am sure not everyone is happy with this scenario but I think it covers a large number of bases.

Living in Europe, I can't access the legal, licensed stuff on crunchyroll (besides Gonzo), hulu or joost. I can't exactly say the system works very well.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Unless it's HD or forced into HD, it is unreasonable. I can't speak for everyone, but I happen to enjoy stereo sound and not seeing artifacts ruining images.

I knew this question would get some people that don't understand enough about digital video.

Artifacts have nothing to do with resolution. Artifacts are from poor compression and mastering. But there are so many variables there that it's hard to write a question about it.

Resolution is the "size", that is, the screen real estate of a video and nothing more. There are plenty of HD videos that have terrible artifacting, and a video with bad compression only looks worse when you upscale it into HD.

nagashi wrote:
DRM that works properly and always allows me to watch content I paid for on whatever platform I choose? Sounds nice, but then again so does Belldandy. And neither of them exist.

True that. To be fair, Microsoft appears to be trying. They haven't succeeded yet (not even close), but their new Silverlight-based platform PlayReady seems like a step in the right direction. (Thank you, Netflix for Mac!)

Last edited by jsevakis on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

Well okay I am sure not everyone is happy with this scenario but I think it covers a large number of bases.

Living in Europe, I can't access the legal, licensed stuff on crunchyroll (besides Gonzo), hulu or joost. I can't exactly say the system works very well.

I'd suggest contacting your own companies to let them know your interest in such a service. The new system they're trying works as well as is legally possible. Since this is a deal involving a Region 1 company there is sadly nothing they can do for Europe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3