• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Ten Years Later

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is the only anime I own on Region 2 DVD; I bought both the 2nd OVA series episodes as they came out. I don't remember what I paid, but it almost certainly exceeded $100 Canadian per disk for barely over half an hour of animation each. I bit the bullet because I was overjoyed that they had finally animated "more" of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, and I was hoping my purchase would contribute to funding the production of more OVA episodes beyond the two planned ones, but, alas, that was never to be.

I also have the first OVA series, but that wasn't as much of a financial pain as Sony re-released both episodes on a single DVD at a bargain price (by Japanese standards, I think it was 2000 Yen) around the same time as the first new OVA episode hit the racks. Both OVA series are lovely, but I still prefer the original as the two episodes work much better as a self-contained standalone "movie" with a tiny bit of a story arc (Alpha looking for the ideal spots to take pictures) and were a great introduction to the world of the manga. The 2nd OVA series has bits and pieces from later in the manga, but some familiarity with the world of the manga is necessary to fully understand what is going on (i.e. the spaceplane, shown briefly in the 2nd OVA series but never explained).

I can still hold out hope that the Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou manga, which I do have some volumes of in Japanese, will one day be licensed in either English or even just French, and, just maybe, some Japanese studio will give it the 13-episode late night anime treatment it truly deserves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I quite liked Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, and its English dub (the only good ADV dubs were the comedy dubs), but I didn't get around to it until years later when it was on Anime Network OnDemand.

2002 was an interesting year for me. It was the year I graduated high school, and it was also the first time I've ever been to an anime convention, the combined Big Apple Anime Fest/Anime Expo New York, which had the premiere of the English version of Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, which I attended. I got my movie poster signed by Shinichiro Watanabe, Toshihiro Kawamoto, and Yoko Kanno. I wish I had been a bigger Gundam fan back then because then I would have seen Char's Counterattack and met Yoshiyuki Tomino. Unfortunately, Cowboy Bebop was the only thing on my mind.

I still have my AXNY badge, which features Asuka Langely Sohryu. I believe that it was also the year Inu Yasha premiered in the US, because I remember some kind of viewing party was put together and people at AXNY were invited to it. I seem to recall that being talked about while I was in line for the dealer's room.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Things from that list that I've seen:

Fullmetal Panic: Watched it
Please Teacher: watching right now and kinda pissed off at it
Twelve Kingdoms: Own it, and it is epic great
Azumanga Daioh: Own it
Chobits: Own the blue-ray remaster
Galaxy Angel A: Own it
Tokyo Mew Mew : Fortunate to never see the 4kids dub, watched the uncut Japanese version
Shrine of the Morning Mist: Own it, one of my few blind buys, and it was worth it -- not great, but entertaining.
SaiKano: Own it.
6 Angels: Watched it with a terrifically bad sub
Kanon: Watched it, again with a terrifically bad sub. But that couldn't help this production. I should write an essay on the how poorly this first iteration was done.
Mahoromatic 2: Own it, and I am one of the few that love the ending.
Haibane Renmei: Own it, first anime that I bought

Okay, I agree, 2002 was a good year. A lot of power titles on that list. Some really bad titles too. What really pisses me off is how people moan about how much this season sucks and stuff like that. First of all, Sturgeon's law: 90% of everything is crap. This goes for anime too. Second of all, there are what, 20 new shows this season? I'm watching 7 of those, which makes for a 35% success rate, which is higher for than normal for me (which runs about 28%). So to say that Winter 2012 seems awfully weak, to me, is like you're speaking in tongues. To look at it another way, I counted 70 shows listed in the article (I may have missed a few), and of those I've seen 13, for a ~19% rate. So by just numbers, Winter 2012 is better than all of 2002. Of course, that's not wholly fair, given that it is not comprehensive and there are a number of master-level shows on that list and I probably would have watched more of those shows had I been a fan in 2002, but I believe my point is valid there is nothing that worse about this season than seasons past.

A few that you missed that I have seen:
Galaxy Angel Z: This was also released in 2002, making it a banner year for the Angels.
Rizelmine: Oh, god, just mentioning this show makes me feel dirty. But I'm not a lolicon, I swear!
Pita Ten: Occupies a special spot on my list as the third worst anime I've ever seen.
Tenshi na Konamaiki: 50 episodes of Hayashibara Megumi at her best. I love this show soooo much.
Ai Yori Aoshi: Wasn't this, like, released over here? Well, it's better than Love Hina, but not by much
UFO Princess Valkyrie: You didn't not just talk about 2002 without the mentioning Valkyrie, did you? I own every season. In singles. And the OVA. And it's going to be even harder to claim I'm not a lolicon.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I personally loved Abenobashi. I thought it was both hilarious and heartwarming.

Full Moon is one of my absolute favorites still to this day.

I didn't actually "get into" anime until 2003 thanks to seeing those uncut ADV box sets of Sailor Moon at a Best Buy. After finishing all of Sailor Moon, I wanted more, so I bought the Evangelion box set, loved it, became an anime fan and never looked back.

I watched and enjoyed quite a few of those shows from 2002.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

Pita Ten: Occupies a special spot on my list as the third worst anime I've ever seen.

Bummer. I really enjoyed the manga and was wanting to check out the anime.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex first air in Japan in 2002?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
2002 was a good year. Out of all those anime, i only own a few from '02: Twelve Kindoms, Knight Hunters Eternity, Chobits, and I plan to get Get Backers. I'm embarrassed to admit that I used to watch Beyblade. I even owned the series up until a few years ago when I sold them. Embarassed Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
After reading this wonderfully nostalgic article, I now realize that 2002 was the year that I officially became an Anime fan. Beforehand, I was slowly starting to get into it thanks to Ghost in the Shell and Tenchi Muyo, but 2002 was where I started to seriously start collecting series single volume by single volume, starting with Tenchi Muyo GXP, Kiddy Grade, and Fullmetal Panic (titles like Rahxephon and Abenobashi didn't come until later for me).

Ten years later, and I still think of Haibane Renmei as the greatest Anime series ever made. There's no action, no violence, no fan service. What it is is a beautiful, deceptively simple poetic story, and it rocks nonetheless. It's one of the few series that I would actually consdider 'art,' and made me acknolwedge and respect Yoshitoshi ABe as an artist. I still have my treasured Geneon box set, but here's hoping Funimation is still able to bring it out.

Quote:
Piano (okay, it wasn't that bad),

This being a Kosuke Fujishima series (the guy that brought us Oh My Goddess and You're Under Arrest), I'd say it wasn't bad at all! There may not have been any real conflict per se that drove the story, it's just a nice-feeling coming-of-age tale about a young piano-playing girl finding a way to express her inner spirit.

Again, really loved today's article! Thanks for bringing back the memories!
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Didn't Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex first air in Japan in 2002?

Yup! That's like the only one (of note) that he missed. I remember Bandai (was it Ken Iyadomi?) publicly addressed fansubbers, and asked them to not sub GitS: SAC. "Anime Junkies" still did it, anyway. Which led to...

Ahhh, good times.

Mike had a lot on his plate with this one, so I understand.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:

Mike Toole wrote:
The fall and winter of 2002 would bring more fare that probably didn't deserve to get released here but did anyway, like Spiral (who here actually liked it? Anyone?)

Um, I'll have you know, sir, that Spiral is quite a good mystery, and I'm rather enjoying it. Thank you, very much.

Man, I'm glad someone said it. I freakin' LOVE Spiral. Sure, it doesn't get into my Top 10, so to speak, but I thought they had some pretty clever puzzles and stuff (especially the arc where Ayumu has a bomb around his neck!). Imagine the trickery of Death Note, with all of the supernatural elements and Hot Topic goth ripped out, and instead of two guys butting heads all the time, you've got a gang of unique and quirky "villains" ganging up on a kid who'd rather not be bothered about it.

The anime turned me to the manga (which I must thank Yen Press for publishing it entirely) which goes in a completely different direction. It's one of those series that was adapted from the manga and had to come up with a different ending towards the end, but Spiral comes out pretty good either way. A very underrated series, recommendable to anyone who likes battles of wit but doesn't want to bother with Death Note's bleak pallet.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
6 Angels

This is more or less a precursor to ICE, which amazingly enough has a lot of the same weird looking animation problems in more of a 2007 way. It's more...aggressive, though, actively going out of its way to insult the viewer if they don't "get" it. Angels was just awkward and too long and boring.

...urgh why do I find myself talking about stupid ICE again. I'm cursed. ;_;

But errr yeah, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou sure is great, isn't it? I do enjoy the distinctive look of the two OVAs and the different kind of visual warmth they bring to their version of its world.
lem

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
weird, I own a dvd or blu version of just about everything mentioned. But with the way things are changing, I seriously doubt I'll be saying that 10 years from now. Shocked

Quote:
Michael Toole wrote:
I'll close this look at ten years ago by pointing out a great piece of animation that, like Tamala 2010, isn't necessarily what we think of as anime. That'd be Atama-yama, or Mount Head, a 10-minute short by an artist named Koji Yamamura. Yamamura, according to his bio, started in the industry painting backgrounds for fare like Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but eventually started making his own, personal films. Mt. Head is a neat little piece of hand-drawn work that chronicles the tale of a selfish man with a strange affliction. It's narrated in true katsudo-benshi style, with sing-songvoicing and shamisen accompaniment, and has a look all its own - it was good enough to get nominated for the Oscars, but didn't win. Yamamura had to settle for an Annency award, but that's OK - he's still working. You can easily find Mt. Head just by typing the name into google, but the video doesn't look legit - more's the pity, I'd love to see more of Yamamura's work!

this is readily available on a legitimate region 1 dvd at both TRSI & Amazon.

From the TRSI page
Quote:
Films include:
Franz Kafka's A Country Doctor (2007, 21 mins, subtitled)
Child's Metaphysics (Kodomo no keijijogaku, 2007, 5 mins, subtitled)
The Old Crocodile (Toshi wo Totta Wani, 2005, 13 mins, in English)
Pieces (Omake, 2003, 2 mins, no dialogue)
Mt. Head (Atama-yama, 2002, 10 mins)
Your Choice! (Docchi ni Suru, 1999, 10 mins, in English)
Bavel's Book (Bavel no Hon, 1996, 5 mins, subtitled)
Kid's Castle (1995, 5 mins, no dialogue)
Kipling Jr. (1995, 15 mins, subtitled)
From the Karo & Piyobupt series: A House (Ouchi);
The Sandwiches (Sandoicchi); Imagination (Ame no Hi)(1993, 3 films 4 mins each, no dialogue)
Perspektivenbox (Enkinhou no Hako, 1989, 4 mins, no dialogue)
Japanese-English Pictionary (Hyakka Zukan, 1989, 12 mins, no dialogue)
Aquatic (Suisei, 1987, 5 mins, no dialogue)

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/1zYK31jVBPrEjvnpWR/browse/item/89953/4/0/0

staab99

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Man I was in high school back in 2002, I was already an anime fan by the time 2002 came around (Thanks to Sci Fi channel and Cartoon Network Toonami). I remember joining my HS anime club that year, I remember my friend bringing in a fan sub copy of Naruto and I remember how hilarious it was (the first 2 episodes were pretty funny despite the fact i hate the rest of the show). That club members also brought in a copy of Haibane Renmei and Chobits for the club. It was my first look at fansubs at the time (but i remember the quality were terrible). This article brings a little nostalgia to me because a majority of these shows that were license I later owned on DVD (I regret getting rid of Haibane, stupid me), hopefully Funimation will release it ASAP because it's a damn good show.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
It was interesting to note which of the shows mentioned in the article have aged well, and which haven't. I find Gate Keepers 21 to be another show that's held up pretty well, and like Komugi, it's probably aged better than the show it spun off from. I've tried to revisit the original Gate Keepers, and it just seems horribly cliched.

Ah, GateKeepers...

I got the original series for super, super cheap at Right Stuf, and it did seem cliched and trite and a total throwback to 60s Kaiju shows such as Ultraman and Magma Taishi. A little repetitive, but fun in its own right.

However, I also picked up GateKeepers 21, and watched it afterwards.

Seeing the two shows in tandem, back-to-back, is something of a revelation. It's one of those things that only anime seems to do perfectly: Contrast the can-do, ganbarre attitude of the first show with an almost outright nihilistic bent in GK21.

The two shows compliment each other so well. If you're trapped in the house on a rainy weekend and are looking for a show to marathon, check out "The GateKeepers Saga."

It's very cool.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote
By the way, I know I'm about a month late, but, speaking of "Ten Years Later", happy 10th birthday to the current incarnation of the Anime News Network forum! I can't believe that there's a forum I've been posting at fairly continuously for a whole decade as of this month.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4