• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - So Long, Suckers!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:

Quote:
A decade ago the stereotypical anime fan would be in his late 20s or early 30s, likely have a beard, wearing a self-made Lum shirt and pride himself on his big laserdisc collection.

Scary, you're describing me in my early 20s. I had a self made Lum-shirt (and one of ranma's Shampoo as well), I was proud of my big Laserdisc collection, but I didn't have a beard. Now I have a beard, I am still proud of my Laserdisc collection (stopped buying LDs though, for obvious reasons), but I stopped wearing anime t-shirts years ago. I must admit however, this Lum-shirt simply looks great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aluria

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
As much as I love Fushigi Yugi, I totally agree with everyone, she is so damn irritating! I'm so happy that Takiko is so much cooler.

I'll miss you Zac. I'm worried with Brain taking over, I always thought he was too rude on The Click but we'll see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lunarose

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Answerman wrote:

Quote:
A decade ago the stereotypical anime fan would be in his late 20s or early 30s, likely have a beard, wearing a self-made Lum shirt and pride himself on his big laserdisc collection.

Scary, you're describing me in my early 20s. I had a self made Lum-shirt (and one of ranma's Shampoo as well), I was proud of my big Laserdisc collection, but I didn't have a beard. Now I have a beard, I am still proud of my Laserdisc collection (stopped buying LDs though, for obvious reasons), but I stopped wearing anime t-shirts years ago. I must admit however, this Lum-shirt simply looks great.

Shampoo? I would've guessed female Ranma for most people. And of course, a Lum t-shirt... Nowadays, you just walk into Hot Topic and pick up a Light shirt or an L shirt, Near, etc. Not even Misa, which proves that today's anime population has a lot more fangirls than it did like ten years ago.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Anyway, the real success of Zac's plan relies on the new column he is planning to write. I am very curious as to the over-aching topic, and why it will spend several months in the planning stage before it is released to the general public. Possibly a holiday wedged in that timeframe? Hmmm.

Could it be it might take that long because he has other duties at ANN and now also is the Associate Editor of Protoculture Addicts so he has already become extremely busy, and also considering the column would still need to be approved and reviewed by Tempest first as well? Nah of course not. He's just too busy insulting people. Laughing And now he'll have more time to drink and laugh as he deletes massive amounts of emails from people here. I hope Brian is a tough individual, or simply crazy, to take on this job. I give him 3 weeks before he has his first few very own Flake Fans heh.
Gage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Answerman will live on. Nothing will change. I'm still looking forward to the flakes section, hehe. Love it! Your duties with the column are appreciated Zac!
longo02

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I being an older anime viewer will miss you, your wit and all the bunny pictures. Good luck
Stefnick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm sad to see that your not going to be answerman anymore.
But, wow, you're so happy to leave. Your like that disgruntled teacher that after several years of teaching takes his final walk out the school, turn around flicks it off, than walks away, all his once enthusiasm lost . I been reading this column almost religiously for the past 4 to 5 years, even read Animail when you were answering for Anime Insider. Truth be told, you've been a part of my anime life since it started. Anyway, I really enjoyed reading your columns and I learned a good bit about anime from you. Despite some of the negative comments you seem to get, I 've enjoy sacratistic, that sometimes becomes a bit snarky at times, yet informing way you always answer the question.
But, yeah, I can't wait to see how Brain does on this colum, liked The Click, I was sad when he announced his column's retirement. But I'm happy to hear that he's Zac's (semi-)replacement. I just hope Brain doesn't adveritse his website too much on the column.
Ryou Shirogane

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
That Answerfans was epic - and very much true. Anime hyper
I'm surprised people still know about Fushigi Yuugi, though.

Sorry to see you won't be doing "Answerman" regularly anymore. It was always a fun read and I learned quite a bit, too. I'm also going to miss the bunnies. Good luck. =3
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I'll definitely be missing your work on Answerman, Zac. Your constant sarcasm was what first brought me to visit this site in the first place, and the discussion threads were what made me sign up for a count lo those many years ago. You'll definitely be missed, but I couldn't think of a better replacement than Brian, who has proved he's totally got that smartass thing down.

Greg Aubry wrote:
As an "older" anime fan, I can distinctly recall the pain of waiting over a year between episode 3 and 4 of Macross Plus. That wait was interminable! While I can remember a number of fans wondering what the deal was (production of the episode in Japan had been delayed), I don't recall anybody accusing any of the companies involved (Manga Entertainment, Studio Nue, Big West, etc) of "hating the fans." We just kept our eyes on Diamond's monthly "Previews" order catalog, and bugged the hell out of the Suncoast clerks to see what info they had. Eventually, we got our fourth episode, relished it, and life went on. That was about it.

Indeed. You could also swap "Macross Plus" with "Giant Robo" and get the same story.

I'm a little surprised at Zac's rememberance of anime fandom, though. I mean, anime fandom was a lot more scattered back then and I didn't go to conventions or anything so I'm by no means an authority, but as a high schooler in the mid-to-late '90s, there were a TON of guys my age who were anime fans. True, many of them were of the "Whoa, Ninja Scroll and Fist of the North Star are badass but why watch anything else?" variety, but my local comic shops and video stores seemed to cater all of their anime and manga sales to the younger crowd. Also, Animerica in those days always seemed to be packed with letters from younger fans, especially when Sailor Moon hit.

Greg Aubry wrote:
But really? Fushigi Yugi? I wouldn't have been caught dead watching that when it came out. Of course, I never understood my guy friends who taped Sailor Moon off of TV, either.

Aw, c'mon, Greg, I was one of those guys. Embarassed
maichips

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Zac, you made Answerman a truly awesome column. I thoroughly enjoyed every scathingly truthful response that you gave through the years. I can't wait for your new column (I sincerely hope it involves at least a little sarcasm). Brian will certainly do a great job, and I eagerly await his first column! Very Happy

((Could I have used any more adverbs in that post? Anime hyper))
falloutgal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Goodbye Zac! Shame to see you pass on the Answerman mantle ;__; I always looked forward to and enjoyed reading the column Anime smile I didn't think anyone could replace you but....Brian! OMG, I've never loved reading a programme guide so much, even when I don't live in the countries where the programmes are aired, or have not heard of half the shows Very Happy

Looking forward to the new Answerman and Zac's new column Anime smile
apocalypticPOTATO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll miss you Zac, I've always enjoyed your sarcastic and tired responses to questions that I even remember coming up over and over again. It's good to hear you won't be going away entirely.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If Brian or you both can't do it one week, can I? Oooh, or get Casey to do it. She'll murder folks.

Anime fans certainly have changed. They've become increasingly selfish over the years. Back in the day, we never gave a second thought to a mediocre dub or a long wait for a dual-audio version of our favorite shows. We dealt. We waited. We bought individual volumes. If it took us a year to find all of Cowboy Bebop, we didn't gripe too loudly. We didn't accuse the anime licensors of hating the audience. We understood. We were happy just to get anime over here. I know I did, at least. Now, everybody wants everything fast and free, without a second thought towards the people in the industry.

Anyway, that's a hilarious kiss-off. I can't wait for some people to be offended.

Totally ahree with you 100% on that penguintruth!

And to Zac: It's been cool having you around. I have to be honest though, sometimes I thought you needed to lighten up, and I didn't always agree with you on many things, but some of the answers you gave to people answered my own questions, and there were times when I did agree with you.
Just some advice: Lighten up, just a little.
NamaeX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Zac, it's been great having you. If you ever come to Anime North, let's go out for a drink or two (or three).
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Hey Zac,

YOU GOT NYMPHET CANCELED *FOAM AT THE MOUTH RAGEEEE!!!*

Lol, it was fun though. Forget wine, we can go out and get some Remy Martin or some Orange Vodka with Tonic Water. its just like Orange pop!

I enjoyed the column and at times hated the column. But I tuned in almost every week just to see who was getting ragged on. Thanks for the laughs, the anger, and the all night bitch-fests in the fourms. It was great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12