• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kannagi Manga Reportedly on Hiatus Due to Creator's Health

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
reanimator wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
He was probably threatened for his life because of that development. Otaku are an odd bunch. Also, I'm sure the massive boycotting of his manga wouldn't help either.

Actually Eri Takenashi is she, not he. We really don't know if some nutty Otakus made threat against her. Anyway, we should consider ourselves lucky for not having weird obsession over fictional characters and their creators.

Speaking of fanboys, I knew this fanboy who cried when his favorite voice actress when she got married. He cried because he can't get closer to her in the future. At least he was obsessed with real person, not some 2D character.
Heartless it may seem, I made fun of him for being ridiculous.

If I made a manga with well developed characters and decide to twist the storyline, I wonder hate mails from hard core fans will come...

Which voice actress was he fanboying over?

Hate mail from hardcore fans for twisting the storyline? Talk about drama and lulz.

It was 10 years ago. He was crying over marriage of Megumi Hayashibara. He thought he could get closer to her once he learned enough Japanese and move over there. I told him he's being stupid for something like that.

You know how some hardcore fans go crazy over their fictional characters? I read somewhere, I think it was Anipage Daily interviews, a Japanese fan made phone threat against director of "Little Princess Sara" because this fan believed that Sara character was actually getting bullied. This happened back in late 70's or early 80's. Talk about insane people at level 1.
You read while ago that some hardcore fans want to marry 2D female character, right? That's insanity level 2.

About that hate mail, I'm just imagining what's it like to have my own successful manga. It would be nice to receive some hate mails. Why would I say that? If your work is popular, hate mail is inevitable and which means a lot people may read it. If your work was not popular, people wouldn't waste their time expressing their displeasure or hatred. They'll just toss it into garbage.

Successful manga is all about well-developed characters, so fans who like certain character tend to buy junks like figurines and guide books. Obviously this Kannagi artist made these attractive characters that mesmerized some fans and hinted some kind of character twist that made certain fans angry.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:45 am Reply with quote
Personally I still hope that the upset fans are a minority and the hiatus isn't because of this.

Nagi has stated clearly that there is someone she likes (who is not the male lead character) very early in the series, so it doesn't come as such a big surprise at all that she might have had a boyfriend. Plus her body right now certainly is virgin, since it's a pretty new one Anime hyper

Geez, goddess = purity whatever ... Nagi isn't Belldandy, and that's why I like her xD .... I'll buy the Kannagi manga only to support the author and *her* vision of *her* story, eventhough it may not change anything. Kannagi is one of the best series of its genre I've seen so far and I seriously hope that it will continue to be published.
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:06 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

Geez, goddess = purity whatever ... Nagi isn't Belldandy

I have a feeling this is the key to the issue right here.

That's a big reason that series disgusts me (despite the fact that it is also incredibly droll), certain fans get obsessive about the kind of fantasy where a truly unobtainable and "perfect" woman becomes more or less a housewife to a pathetic loser.

Of course, Nagi is anything but. I wonder how many of these obessive fans were, as many others have said, superimposing the image of a Belldandy figure on top of Nagi. There's no endless benevolence of dieties in Kannagi. For all of Nagi's bad and selfish traits, Zange has been even worse. Much like in traditional mythology where gods can be horribly selfish, disagree, fight, are unfaithful, hole themselves up in caves, cheat, lie, steal and kill. Greek, Norse, Taoist, Shinto, Hindu, Sumerian, African folklore, it doesn't matter.

Belldandy represented a woman who never complains, and dutifully fulfills her duties to her partner. I'm sure it might go a little bit deeper than that, but this is how the fans are probably interpreting the situation with Nagi. That Nagi can be less than perfect, a deity a little closer to human (as they were in traditional beliefs) breaks them from their fantasy.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:39 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
He was probably threatened for his life because of that development. Otaku are an odd bunch. Also, I'm sure the massive boycotting of his manga wouldn't help either.

Massive boycotting is a bit of hyperbole isn't it? I don't think people who've read blogs posting about this have released that the majority of 2ch turned on this morons whining about this. The amount of people trolling the whiners and egging them on as well as the amount of people disgusted at their behavior far outweigh the complainers.

And the first Kannagi dvd sold very well, it will probably be a top ten anime seller this year out of all the tv shows. Only behind Code Geass R2, Macross Frontier, Gundam 00, Clannad After Story, Gintama, Strike Witches & Aria Origination.

prodicted wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Even I was turn off by what happen in the manga did not expect this it made it even worse by the fact that the main character Jin spoiler[was going to confess he's feelings to Nagi only to end up being completely ignore/forgotten by Nagi who was all in tears and emotional when she remembered her old lover. ugh this is a type of scene you expect to see in a shoujo manga.]

Not sort of crap I wanted to see in this type of series, if I want to read through something like that then I would read shoujo instead.

Wow doing that in a shounen manga is asking for trouble. You're right that sounds like a something that came out of a shoujo manga. I can understand people getting turned off by this.

I really hope you two never whine about anime/manga becoming cliche and tired because it's thought processes like this which keeps it that way.

Also why isn't there a backlash against Macross Frontier and Sheryl considering Sheryl got a lot of Shoujoish character development? (The amount of shoujo style fanart for her and alto is staggering...) I mean it crossed the lines of Shonen, yet the show and Sheryl are one of the most popular shows and characters of the year!

How can this be! So many other similar examples I can give with shows/manga stepping out of their genre boundaries successfully but hey none of them involve wrecking retarded Otaku wet dreams so I guess it's "different" right?
Weltall

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So many other similar examples

Then post them, please. Post many other examples where the whole show is based ONLY on the main female character, which suddenly turns off her retarded fanboys with a shoujo-like twist like this.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote
Maybe you want to sign up to www.readingcomprehension.com instead?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
Out of intrest, I started reading, found it enjoyable and EVEN FOUND THE EXACT PART EARLY ON WHERE SHE SAYS AND I QUOTE EVEN "Besides, I already have someone I like".

So, in short, Japanese fanboys are no smarter than the other fanboys of the world.
Dardre

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Out of intrest, I started reading, found it enjoyable and EVEN FOUND THE EXACT PART EARLY ON WHERE SHE SAYS AND I QUOTE EVEN "Besides, I already have someone I like".

I think she also follows that comment up with something along the lines of him being a child in her eyes. So yeah, this is about a few pathetic otaku who expected, and appear to have wanted, the cliche-ish 'her perception of the lead male character changes, so she falls head-over-heels in love with him' and instead got something quite different.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I also found that one otaku guy to be halerious.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Dardre wrote:
the cliche-ish 'her perception of the lead male character changes, so she falls head-over-heels in love with him' and instead got something quite different.

eh... don't forget.... I'll tag it just in case but if you've seen 2 episodes or read 3 chapters this should be apparent..

spoiler[Nagi has two personalities, Goddess and Normal]

So what you're saying while true at the same time isn't...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
VIPPER. wrote:
People getting mad over the virgin thing is half people making fun of people getting mad over the virgin thing by buying cheap used copies of the manga then tearing them up. That's how we at 2ch roll w
Have you met the "people" at your psudo English sister site 4ch yet? Wait, maybe that's not a good idea, we wouldn't want the internet version of Pearl Harbor.........then again? Wink

mangamuscle wrote:
WTF? Female virginity is but a tiny piece of flesh,
Boys like you is the reason I keep a bloody ax handle by my front door, and tell my daughter to avoid like the bloody pox. Rolling Eyes
Dardre

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Dardre wrote:
the cliche-ish 'her perception of the lead male character changes, so she falls head-over-heels in love with him' and instead got something quite different.

eh... don't forget.... I'll tag it just in case but if you've seen 2 episodes or read 3 chapters this should be apparent..

Seen up through episode 3, so I know what you're talking about... but I'm not really certain she really spoiler[has two personalities. She says she does, but when actually confronted by it her reaction seems to suggest that it's not true; or at least not as clear-cut as she presented it as.] Still, I admit to not having seen beyond those three episodes (yet).

Though in the end, it still doesn't matter. spoiler[Human-Nagi would still be a virgin, though Goddess-Nagi might not be.] So that still leaves some fans severely overreacting to a plot-development.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I have but two words for this that should torpedo this whole pointless debate right in the magazine. Immaculate conception. Works for the Catholics. Wink
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Dardre wrote:
Westlo wrote:
Dardre wrote:

Seen up through episode 3, so I know what you're talking about... but I'm not really certain she really spoiler[has two personalities. She says she does, but when actually confronted by it her reaction seems to suggest that it's not true; or at least not as clear-cut as she presented it as.] Still, I admit to not having seen beyond those three episodes (yet).

Though in the end, it still doesn't matter. spoiler[Human-Nagi would still be a virgin, though Goddess-Nagi might not be.] So that still leaves some fans severely overreacting to a plot-development.

The one you're referring to was just an act, the one I'm referring too is the one you see in the very first scene (Normal Nagi has no recollection of that scene!) and the kittens. Notice how Nagi reacts when questioned by Jin about the kittens incident. Episode 8 goes down these lines again though in a more obvious manner.

ZODDGUTS wrote:
Anyways I guess I can understand their resentment, this sort of thing isn't expected to be seen in this type of series. If it was shoujo, Josei, or Seinen then that's fine but considering this series is a Shonen Comedy, slice of life with a bit of romance makes it surprising that the manga-ka decided to do this. Even I was turn off by what happen in the manga did not expect this it made it even worse by the fact that the main character Jin spoiler[was going to confess he's feelings to Nagi only to end up being completely ignore/forgotten by Nagi who was all in tears and emotional when she remembered her old lover. ugh this is a type of scene you expect to see in a shoujo manga.]

Not sort of crap I wanted to see in this type of series, if I want to read through something like that then I would read shoujo instead.

Sorry to quote this again but I can't let people read this spoiler and think that your revisionist history is the way these events happened.

1/ Picture leaked
2/ Retarded Otaku outrage
3/ Widespread derision of outraged otaku on 2ch in addition to trolls egging on the whiners than happens
4/ Chapter released.
5/ Kannagi DVD sales 11k in one week placing it among the top ten best selling tv shows of the year
6/ Author falls ill.

So while you may think it is understandable after all the details emerged the fact remains most of the outraged happened after a single picture leaked so it wasn't justified point blank period.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
But it doesn't matter. No matter how many fanservicey positions she was drawn at the end of the anime. No matter about the ero episode. Nagi is a goddess. Goddess = purity.

Purity doesn't have to mean virginal. The obvious parallel is Belldandy, but that's not an acurate comparison outside of them both being the main character. Also, AMG has goddesses like Urd and Peorth who exude sexuality, so it's not as though a non-virginal goddess is a brand new concept.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6